Where have you used Petey to grab the biggest air?

OK, I guess we need to define a measure for how big a "big air" actually is. My preferred measure is the number of Big Air tricks you can pull before you land. (It's easy to measure: get off the ground, flail the spacebar, and count how many tricks you do before you land.)

My current record is a hair more than three tricks (the fourth is barely visible). It's in Divinity's Reach of all places. Start at the top of the steps leading to the Armoursmithing station and drive past the Commons Waypoint and up the roof of the blue and white tent (shooting gallery?) just beyond. If you time the boost right, it expires just as you take off and you have time for three tricks before you land, HARD(1), on the ground far below the peak of your jump.

(1) Hard enough that even with the full Bunny mastery series unlocked, you still take some damage.

@"Ruadan.9301" said:Vabbi and Snowden Drifts so far. Tbh I find it kind of hard to find places where it's possible to stay in the air for more than a moment.

The stretch of dunes north-and-northeast of Amnoon has quite a few spots where there's time for one trick, sometimes nearly two. The key aspect is you need a strong up-slope with a sharp switch to down-slope at the top.

(Aside: watch the "exhaust" trail on the back of the saddle - it has three different colours. When you mount up, and any other time you're moving slowly, it is light blue, and Petey will just plain not fly, ever. When you've rolled downhill enough, or after a boost "wears off", you'll find it goes a pale purple colour, and you can easily fly if the terrain cooperates. In the few seconds that the boost is active when you fire it, the trail is tinted orange and much brighter, and you fly more easily.)

When the trail is orange, the Big Air button doesn't work. The ideal, then, is to get the orange trail to run out just as you leave the ground, since that's the moment when your speed is highest, and it gives you immediate access to the Big Air tricks. Even at that moment, Petey will still cling to the ground pretty tightly unless there's a sharp change in direction. That's why the tent in DR is so good for grabbing air - it switches from 60 degrees up to 60 degrees down in pretty much zero distance, so you're guaranteed to launch. The air time is long because the terrain drops fairly violently on the other side of the tent.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Ruadan.9301" said:Vabbi and Snowden Drifts so far. Tbh I find it kind of hard to find places where it's possible to stay in the air for more than a moment.

The stretch of dunes north-and-northeast of Amnoon has quite a few spots where there's time for one trick, sometimes nearly two. The key aspect is you need a strong up-slope with a sharp switch to down-slope at the top.

(Aside: watch the "exhaust" trail on the back of the saddle - it has three different colours. When you mount up, and any other time you're moving slowly, it is light blue, and Petey will just plain not fly, ever. When you've rolled downhill enough, or after a boost "wears off", you'll find it goes a pale purple colour, and you can easily fly if the terrain cooperates. In the few seconds that the boost is active when you fire it, the trail is tinted orange and much brighter, and you fly more easily.)

When the trail is orange, the Big Air button doesn't work. The ideal, then, is to get the orange trail to run out just as you leave the ground, since that's the moment when your speed is highest, and it gives you immediate access to the Big Air tricks. Even at that moment, Petey will still cling to the ground pretty tightly unless there's a
sharp
change in direction. That's why the tent in DR is so good for grabbing air - it switches from 60 degrees up to 60 degrees down in pretty much zero distance, so you're guaranteed to launch. The air time is long because the terrain drops fairly violently on the other side of the tent.

Wow! That is a super detailed and informative response, thank you for taking the time! :)

Busted my record. Four (almost exactly four) tricks. If you follow the path from Overlake Haven WP in south Kessex, along the Alakess Ledge, you come to the Ireko Tradecamp. Don't turn down to the WP, though. Continue straight ahead, directly up the west-most tent. It launches you almost totally vertically, and you land some way beyond directly in the water, but there's time for four tricks.

Archived