Beetle and the old race tracks — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Beetle and the old race tracks

holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭
edited July 6, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Has anyone even tested how terribly broken the new beetle mount is on some of the race tracks that came out with PoF?

Example: the Amnoon oasis. Almost two thirds of the track are nothing but flat terrain which beetles can traverse multiple times faster than any other mount. How's that even fair?

Comments

  • Quarktastic.1027Quarktastic.1027 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2018

    Getting a roller beetle doesn't require any significant investment aside from time, and let's be honest, most of that time spent is just waiting for the appropriate events to happen.

    It might not be totally fair, but everyone who owns PoF also has the opportunity to get themselves a beetle mount.

  • ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Try it out, i bet the beetle will come dead last in all races.
    He just doesn't have the manoeuvrability, or the initial speed of a raptor or jackal.

  • holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:
    Try it out, i bet the beetle will come dead last in all races.
    He just doesn't have the manoeuvrability, or the initial speed of a raptor or jackal.

    I've just tried a couple of races after a long pause. The beetle might lack maneuverability but it has an incredible top speed which basically creates a huge buffer between the bug and the rest of the mounts on straight terrain and as I said, Amnoon is almost two thirds nothing but straight. The only thing that needs to be done in the last third is switch to jackal or raptor to do the jumps but the advantage is so high that I bet they could just walk through the finish line.

  • ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @holodoc.5748 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:
    Try it out, i bet the beetle will come dead last in all races.
    He just doesn't have the manoeuvrability, or the initial speed of a raptor or jackal.

    I've just tried a couple of races after a long pause. The beetle might lack maneuverability but it has an incredible top speed which basically creates a huge buffer between the bug and the rest of the mounts on straight terrain and as I said, Amnoon is almost two thirds nothing but straight. The only thing that needs to be done in the last third is switch to jackal or raptor to do the jumps but the advantage is so high that I bet they could just walk through the finish line.

    Did you race any players?

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The bunny would never beat the other mounts in most of those races, either. How is that fair? /s

    Some mounts will always be better for the races than others, and that's fine with me.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @holodoc.5748 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:
    Try it out, i bet the beetle will come dead last in all races.
    He just doesn't have the manoeuvrability, or the initial speed of a raptor or jackal.

    I've just tried a couple of races after a long pause. The beetle might lack maneuverability but it has an incredible top speed which basically creates a huge buffer between the bug and the rest of the mounts on straight terrain and as I said, Amnoon is almost two thirds nothing but straight. The only thing that needs to be done in the last third is switch to jackal or raptor to do the jumps but the advantage is so high that I bet they could just walk through the finish line.

    Did you race any players?

    Ok, i just tried it, i did lose (finished second), because i failed a jump and was attacked, so couldn't mount...
    But yeah, if you switch from Raptor to beetle in a couple of spots, you really get a huge lead.

    But it's like @RoseofGilead.8907 said, some mounts are better than others in some races.

  • holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭

    And still no solution to this. People are abusing mounts left and right to get clear advantage with mounts that were clearly not designed to be used on certain tracks. Griffon and beetle are the worst offenders.

    Either remove the ability to switch mounts mid race or simply allow everyone to use all mounts during races. Someone who still doesn't have access to griffon or beetle is in clear disadvantage to those that do have them.

  • Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019

    I don't mind.

  • holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭

    @Abelisk.4527 said:
    I don't mind.

    Congratulations.

    People that do not like unfair competition do mind.

  • I think everyone that has Path of Fire has access to all Mounts. Now, whether they have taken advantage of that access may be another story.
    It's really not unfair if everyone is offered the same opportunities.

  • Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Odds are that anyone with a beetle has long since done the profession weapon collection requirements of placing in the top three in a race. If you see a beetle making ready and you still need the achieve, maybe politely ask them not to use it for that race since you need the item? Most players are friendly about such things. Otherwise the only reason to care about winning the race is for the pride and pleasure of having run it with skill. Which is a fine reward in and of itself but one can simply ignore the beetlers as not counting and see how one does in comparison to other non-beetlers. (Ok, so maybe there's a thrill in seeing your name broadcast across the map as the winner, but you're not really being cheated out of anything if you don't get that).

  • @holodoc.5748 said:
    And still no solution to this.

    I don't think there's any sort of agreement that this is a problem.

    People are abusing mounts left and right to get clear advantage with mounts that were clearly not designed to be used on certain tracks. Griffon and beetle are the worst offenders.

    Griffon can't possibly be an offender, as it was added to the game at the exact same time as those races. Even with Beetle, given how development works, they probably had the idea already and were just working out when & how to add it.

    Either remove the ability to switch mounts mid race or simply allow everyone to use all mounts during races. Someone who still doesn't have access to griffon or beetle is in clear disadvantage to those that do have them.

    Why is that a problem? Every mount is better at parts of some races; every mount is worse sometimes, too. The only way I "win" any of those races is if there are less than 5-6 people trying; it has nothing to do at all with which mounts are available to me.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @holodoc.5748 said:

    @Abelisk.4527 said:
    I don't mind.

    Congratulations.

    People that do not like unfair competition do mind.

    I am among those who do not see this as a problem. It might help me understand your perspective better if you could share exactly what you were trying to win . . .

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019

    I don't think this is a problem. Everyone has access to all mounts, so the opportunity is there for all players.
    Collections that require a PoF race (Elite Specialisation weapons) only ask you finish the race, not place 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
    The achievements that require you to place 1st, 2nd or 3rd, only give 1AP, and aren't required for anything. I've just observed a race wait in Amnoon, a grand total of one player is registered for it, I guarantee he'll place top 3.

    The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

  • Donutdude.9582Donutdude.9582 Member ✭✭✭

    I do not see why players should be restricted from using any mount they wish. They are a part of the game and should be used as and when a player chooses to.

    My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

  • There is nothing to be gained from coming first apart from achievements and your name mentioned in the area when you cross the finish line. Anyone who cares enough about winning a mount race will have access to all the mounts. If you are really struggling, just wait to do it another time when someone with a better mount or abilities isn't present.

    Exploring Tyria since before the fall of Ascalon.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.