Four and a half years since the last new guild mission

Blaeys.3102

With the expansion looming - and reportedly in delivery shape, we should ask again - should we expect new guild missions either next week or in the foreseeable future.

Missions are something a lot of guild really enjoy. They give us a way to come together once or twice a week and do something organized and fun.

During the developer Q&A immediately prior to the launch of HOT, I asked a simple question - "Will there be new PVE guild missions" - and while the answer was essentially no, the lead developer at the time did indicate they were working on, and even excited for them (around the 5:30 time marker in the following video) -

Since then, a developer, about six months ago, on reddit indicated he would personally like to work on them again, but there was further discussion or indication that they are being actively developed in any way.

I'm hoping that introduction of a new forum - just prior to PoF launch - may give them an excuse to at least say the words "guild mission" again. It is something several of us care a lot about.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's hope Anet realizes that guilds and keeping the community together ingame are as important as dishing out new maps and story every few weeks. It's hard to bring the whole guild together when half of them don't bother showing up (I don't blame them, stale guild missions put me to sleep faster than listening to politicians).

@MalcanAlunza.2915 said:My guild has recently been hitting up guild missions again dhe to the expansion. For nearly a month now it has been the same missions.

It's getting frustrating and a little boring.

I definitely know where you are coming from.

And, to make it even worse, there is no real rhyme or reason to which missions we get week to week. Last night, we had the same challenge twice, once on medium and once on hard.To make it even more nonsensical, the difference between the medium and hard missions was one had to be done in 20 minute and the other had to be done in 30, even though the mission itself (Crab Toss) only last 5 minutes to begin with (so do this 5 minute mission before 20 minutes go by or do it before 30 minutes go by - it makes no sense at all)

While I love open world and most of the rest of the game, my guild is what keeps me logging in (and I know dozens who think the same way). They really need to give us more to do together as a guild.

They should create a new slot or two for expansion areas in each Guild Mission category, problem being, there would nothing to add for PvP or WvW seeing as they really haven't got much of anything in the expansions (not a bash on ANet, but seriously what could you do, except perhaps Desert Borderlands GM's)

The lack of changes also discourages participation. People get bored doing the same thing over and over. It MIGHT have been less of an issue if there were enough old content, but as it stands not only can you randomly get the same mission set in adjacent weeks, you ca get the same mission IN THE SAME WEEK just because there are so few to choose from.

@Blaeys.3102 said:

@MalcanAlunza.2915 said:My guild has recently been hitting up guild missions again dhe to the expansion. For nearly a month now it has been the same missions.

And, to make it even worse, there is no real rhyme or reason to which missions we get week to week. Last night, we had the same challenge twice, once on medium and once on hard.To make it even more nonsensical, the difference between the medium and hard missions was one had to be done in 20 minute and the other had to be done in 30, even though the mission itself (Crab Toss) only last 5 minutes to begin with (so do this 5 minute mission before 20 minutes go by or do it before 30 minutes go by - it makes no sense at all)

While I love open world and most of the rest of the game, my guild is what keeps me logging in (and I know dozens who think the same way). They really need to give us more to do together as a guild.

I very much agree, we have the missions so down pat, it take no skill at all.

@Svarty.8019 said:The expac is supposedly pure content - hopefully missions will be one of the things expanded. Instead of having new system upon new system, I'm keen to see the expansion of;

• Guild Missions
  • WVW Improvements
  • Guild Hall decorations (in fairness, this has been well supplied with new content)

I want to add to this list new NPC's in the hall, upgrades and more guild bonusses like the 15% waypoint reduction. For example add a guild vonus for the new bounty events.

The guild missions in this game have been dead content for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, guild commendations aren't even good for much anymore, since you can't buy HoT stat trinkets with commendations (I could be wrong on that).

Not to mention you can get butt loads of trinkets with reward paths in PvP & WvW, as well as farming berries every day.

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:The guild missions in this game have been dead content for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, guild commendations aren't even good for much anymore, since you can't buy HoT stat trinkets with commendations (I could be wrong on that).

Not to mention you can get butt loads of trinkets with reward paths in PvP & WvW, as well as farming berries every day.

Very true.

That said, chances are missions - even if we don't get new ones - are probably part of the any new guild hall upgrade requirements since favor was required for the previous levels. While this will probably bring a few people back to missions, it doesn't address the underlying issue of nothing new to do there in 4.5 years now.

Honestly I would like some more updates to guild mechanics. Things that really benefit the guild and members as a whole. Something that encourages the guild to work as a group or work towards a goal. Here are a few Idea's I've had.

1. General updating of guild missions, add missions in HoT/PoF zones.
  2. Being named Guild Wars we should actually have Guild versus Guild battles. (More ideas on that later.)
  3. Perhaps update scribe to be 500, and allow those to be guild widbenefits.
  4. Guild Activities, Basically the ability to play Sanctum Sprint/Keg Brawl, etc as a team.
  5. Guild Dailies?
  6. Guild Hall events would be nice. The hall is so large that its mostly remains underutilized. It would be nice to see events happen inside of it. Not necessarily in the exact same instance but perhaps a combat instance.

So I actually had an idea for a while, which consisted with Guild versus Guild battles. In GW1 you actually had to defend your guild hall against the incurring guild. I wouldn't mind it being a timed mission in our guild hall to defend it against intruders. Perhaps 10v10 or 5v5. Obviously one would have to opt into this. This would be where Scribe 500 could come into play, where you can craft defenses and weapons to use against them. Their goal is to kill the guild lord or crystal. Basically it would be a very small version of WvW battles. But I feel it could potentially work because they already have the mechanics designed. Supply/Weapons/Defenses/Walls/Etc.

There could also be a version of this that's more like tower defense against dragon minions. Building/Placing defenses to keep them from destroying the crystal.

In summary, I feel like that after we earn a guild hall, there isn't really much to do inside it aside from services. They should update it!

I stopped participating in guild missions after the HoT release so nearly 2 years ago. Not even guild armors and weapons were enough to incentivise me to try it again. I understand that at that time designing Guild Halls was the priority so maybe there was no time for the new guild missions. Due to lack of the new missions people lost interest in this kind of content. My guild sometimes struggles to get even 20 people in squad for guild missions.

I am also curious what do you guys think on HoT, PoF only missions? It might be one of the reasons why we haven't seen any new missions. Maybe devs don't want to separate guilds on player who own HoT/PoF and can participate and Core/F2P players who can't.

Not entirely. Their are a couple of things they are good for. Can buy some ok items from the trader who has random stuff every day. 15 obi shards, or items to flog for gold.

Not amazing, but not worthless.

I check each day and use my tokens.

@Assic.2746 said:I stopped participating in guild missions after the HoT release so nearly 2 years ago. Not even guild armors and weapons were enough to incentivise me to try it again. I understand that at that time designing Guild Halls was the priority so maybe there was no time for the new guild missions. Due to lack of the new missions people lost interest in this kind of content. My guild sometimes struggles to get even 20 people in squad for guild missions.

I am also curious what do you guys think on HoT, PoF only missions? It might be one of the reasons why we haven't seen any new missions. Maybe devs don't want to separate guilds on player who own HoT/PoF and can participate and Core/F2P players who can't.

If you watch the video I linked in the OP, you'll see that what he was supposedly so excited about was the potential for PVE guild missions in HOT zones.

As for how they are integrated into the current model, what I would like to see them spread them out, so instead of 3 easy, 3 medium and 3 hard missions, you would have one of each difficulty in each respective pve zone (original game, HOT, PoF). That way they could incorporate the masteries for those zones as well.

And, as others have noted, they probably should add the new stat sets to guild mission trinkets done in the respective zones.

I've also wondered why they have never added missions inside the actual guild halls - maybe in the form of defense events similar to the capture event we had to do to get the hall in the first place.

If they truly are dedicated to adding new content on top of the system changes they implemented with HOT, I have to think that one major area would have to be guild missions.

@LaLa.9231 said:

@Blaeys.3102 said:

I very much agree, we have the missions so down pat, it takes no skill at all.

Archived