[WVW] Support FB question

brokenoath.3608

I am a relatively casual player, but I've been really getting in to WVW. I gravitated toward the support fb because I really enjoy support and I constantly see how praised the build is. I have been playing it for several days and have felt like I've really been contributing to the success of the group, it has been a blast. However, recently I was informed by the commander that they don't run boons and that I am actually doing a lot of harm to the group because the boons are being converted.I'm a bit confused if I did something wrong as far as my actual ability rotation and was getting people killed or if this particular zerg just wasn't running the type of builds that a support fb fits in with.

Again, I am a fairly new wvw player and I am trying to learn and have fun, but I felt akin to an overly nice driver who thinks they are helping but are actually causing more harm and confusion.

Appreciate any tips!

However, recently I was informed by the commander that they don't run boons and that I am actually doing a lot of harm to the group because the boons are being converted.

I'll be pretty straightforward. The commander and his group are WRONG; boons are GOOD. There were several servers and commanders with the idea that "boons are bad" during the start of HoT considering howmany boons were corrupted by scourges. More common was the idea that "boon duration is useless, because boons get corrupted anyways". Both ideas are complete bullshit. While these sound acceptable at first sight; the truth is boons are so OP that not having them is worse than having a few of them corrupted. Boons and boon duration are required for high boon uptime; and high boon uptime is required to be a #winner.

Scourge corrupts hurt. But firebrand applies WAY more boons than scourge can ever corrupt. If you're using firebrands properly with a proper comp; then you should almost always have boons. In fact the only time you don't is when you get shadebombed or bubbled; both of which you should aim to avoid.

Furthermore, ANY group with lacking boonuptime will always end up dead. Boons are incredibly OP in GW2. If you don't have stab, a single line will half your entire group. If you don't have protection, weavers and revs will treat you like a DPS golem. If you dont have boons, your power classes miss over 40% of their damage... And they still get one shot.

So the group you ran with... probably wasn't very good at the game. However; players are allowed to play whatever way they like. If they want to try a "no boons" meta, in my opinion you should let them. If you're on firebrand; not applying boons is pretty much impossible which means you should probably find another group.

Archived