Map selection rigged in favor on Coliseum

Norbi Pew Pew.4972

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:We have logs of map vote choices. Coliseum is the most popular map in terms of voting right now.

Thank you for the response but that's completely irrelevant. I didn't say "this map wins often!", I said it's literally impossible for any of the other 2 maps to be selected when Coliseum is one of the options. It'll always be picked over the other 2 by the system.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Norbi Pew Pew.4972 said:

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:We have logs of map vote choices. Coliseum is the most popular map in terms of voting right now.

Thank you for the response but that's completely irrelevant. I didn't say "this map wins often!", I said it's
literally impossible
for any of the other 2 maps to be selected when Coliseum is one of the options.
It'll always be picked over the other 2 by the system.

For funzies I pulled the last 10,000 times Coliseum has appeared as a voting option in ranked. Out of those 10,000, Coliseum was the winning map 4,365 times (43.65%). Of course there are varying amounts of votes in every case, but there has been "bad luck" in both directions. Some cases had 9/10 votes for Coliseum and it wasn't selected, and some cases there were 1/10 votes and it was selected. Nothing in the data looks too unusual.

This is not true. I clearly remember several instances of Coliseum and Revenge of the Capricorn being 2 of the options, but the 3rd one being the one picked.

In one instance when the third one had only one vote. Skyhammer. By me.

Probably a confirmation bias on your side. You are remembering more clearly all the times when Coliseum gets picked, but not noticing or forgetting when it doesn't happen, just how I remember more clearly how I got away with getting the map I wanted with one vote than any other votes.

Rigged or not,there truly ain't a low enough percentage for this map to be the winning map.Only 0% would be acceptable.Maybe that's why players feel this way,although the statistics show otherwise.Spirit Watch is a lot better,and can produce more interesting fights than those you get at the mini zergfest arena that is Clsm(I removed the vowels for artistic reasons).

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

Thank you for the response but that's completely irrelevant. I didn't say "this map wins often!", I said it's
literally impossible

For funzies I pulled the last 10,000 times Coliseum has appeared as a voting option in ranked. Out of those 10,000, Coliseum was the winning map 4,365 times (43.65%). Of course there are varying amounts of votes in every case, but there has been "bad luck" in both directions. Some cases had 9/10 votes for Coliseum and it wasn't selected, and some cases there were 1/10 votes and it was selected. Nothing in the data looks too unusual.

Would it be to much trouble to ask out of the last 10k or so matches how many times Coliseum was an option? While there might not to much skew in the actual voted 1/3 selection, I feel like Coliseum is a choice much more often than when it does not appear as one. As well as some other maps not appearing nearly as often such as Spirit Watch.

I feel OPs pain. I have simply stopped trying to go after map based AP points because I can not escape this map.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Mireles Lore.5942 said:

literally impossible

Would it be to much trouble to ask out of the last 10k or so matches how many times Coliseum was an option? While there might not to much skew in the actual voted 1/3 selection, I feel like Coliseum is a choice much more often than when it does not appear as one. As well as some other maps not appearing nearly as often such as Spirit Watch.

I feel OPs pain. I have simply stopped trying to go after map based AP points because I can not escape this map.

Voting appearances from the last 10k ranked matches:Temple 4357Skyhammer 4325Kyhlo 4289Coliseum 4281Capricorn 4269Forest 4267Foefire 4212

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

literally impossible

Voting appearances from the last 10k ranked matches:Temple 4357Skyhammer 4325Kyhlo 4289Coliseum 4281Capricorn 4269Forest 4267Foefire 4212

I guess it really is confirmation bias then. I mostly play unranked no though, but I would assume that selection is similar.

@Amaimon.7823 said:

@Omcrazy.4756 said:

@Amaimon.7823 said:Absolutely wrong, the randomizer is clearly in favor of Nifhel, even when there's only 1/10 votes for Nifhel, it ALWAYS lands without fail

Can't tell if sarcastic or not.

no sacrasm at all, pure, 5 years experience

Then its just confirmation bias. I will believe the Anet guy posting stats over a random poster with a vague and unlikely complaint. For what its worth, I land in Nifhel the least and have plenty of maps where its a choice, gets voted on, and we land somewhere else.

If you really want to determine whether your luck runs one way or another then you should start tracking your games. Note each map's choice, how the votes turned out, and what the result was. Just keep in mind you won't get anywhere near statistically relevant for a long time. But even with a low population size I would be very surprised if you don't quickly see your assertion is inaccurate.

Of course, I don't for a second expect you will actually bother doing this. Complaining is a lot less work.

@Cal Cohen.3527 said:

literally impossible

rekt

Well, I came back after 4-5 months break so I usually pick Coliseum when available because it's fast and focused on killing (and playing a power/survival ranger it suits me). But lately I noticed that Capricorn gets selecte 9/10 times when it's available. So I'd say it's rigged in favor of Capricorn, but I don't mind and I don't really hate any map but I loved the old Skyhammer and Khylo more than the new ones. And what I regret most about the maps is that I didn't play PvP when the underwater map was available.

Archived