Player Invaders PKing in Fractals/Raids

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't that basically turn it into a PvP match? Since those already have additional win conditions alongside killing other players.

I guess it could work as an optional extra game-mode. So you choose a PvP Fractal instead of a normal one and then your party is in the map along with another party and you can fight each other while going through it. Not something I'd ever want to do, but maybe some people would enjoy it. Although they'd have to redesign all the Fractals to add a second spawn point and maybe additional paths, otherwise you'd just be on top of each other all the time.

@Danikat.8537 said:Wouldn't that basically turn it into a PvP match? Since those already have additional win conditions alongside killing other players.

I guess it could work as an optional extra game-mode. So you choose a PvP Fractal instead of a normal one and then your party is in the map along with another party and you can fight each other while going through it. Not something I'd ever want to do, but maybe some people would enjoy it. Although they'd have to redesign all the Fractals to add a second spawn point and maybe additional paths, otherwise you'd just be on top of each other all the time.

Not necessarily, it's still PVE at core. Just some random invader will show up unexpectedly to try and kill off uncooperative players, kind of like left 4 dead.

A separate game mode would work, i'm sure people would be interested.

The community has spoken against open world PvE on many occasions. "But this is not opne world", sure, it isn't but it's also not PvP. PPl don't go to fractals only to be ganked by some random. "But you could do it, so that ppl need to agree before they can get invaded", sure, but 1) if you have to agree you're not getting suprised and 2) what if I agree but the other 4 ppl in my frac group don't? "You can make it so that only the player who agreed can be attacked", sure, so my pals have to wait with their fractal because I wanted to be ganked? Doesn't sound fair to me.

tl:dr: Nope.

You'd also need to give some sort of incentive to the attackers, otherwise no one would do it.

Look at Obsidian Sanctum, the WvW jumping puzzle. It has lots of player activated traps all along the route which players can use to trick or attack each other. And of course it's a WvW map so you can directly attack players from other servers. But the only people who ever go there are people who want to do the jumping puzzle and most of them want to get on and do the puzzle, not hang around waiting to gank other people. Using the traps slows you down, if you get any loot it's just the normal drops you could be getting much faster in normal WvW, and you have to be a 'special' sort of person to get any sense of achievement from knocking someone off a path with a spike trap they couldn't anticipate or prevent. So there's no incentive to attack each other and as a result almost no one does.

@TheBravery.9615 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:Wouldn't that basically turn it into a PvP match? Since those already have additional win conditions alongside killing other players.

Not necessarily, it's still PVE at core. Just some random invader will show up unexpectedly to try and kill off uncooperative players, kind of like left 4 dead.

If it has PvP, it's a PvP mode. PvE doesn't have enemy players.

I guess as a separate gamemode it at least wouldn't create a shit storm since players can ignore it. But if you turn a PvE mode into a PvP mode, you can expect all relevant social media to be on fire.

GW2 draws a clear line between PvE and PvP. People have come to like this separation. There are enough games out there that have some sort of PK and it usually devolves into a fest for grievers and toxicity.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

If it has PvP, it's a PvP mode. PvE doesn't have enemy players.

I guess as a separate gamemode it at least wouldn't create a kitten storm since players can ignore it. But if you turn a PvE mode into a PvP mode, you can expect all relevant social media to be on fire.

GW2 draws a clear line between PvE and PvP. People have come to like this separation. There are enough games out there that have some sort of PK and it usually devolves into a fest for grievers and toxicity.

Pve can work with PvP, Left 4 dead and dark souls did it pretty well.

Yes, this will need to be separate game mode, but for all we care, can be a copy-paste of existing fractals with summoned player enemies.More loot for players that finish successfully, and more loot if the player manages killing the fractal runners.

@TheBravery.9615 said:

Maybe a separate mode. But in current fractals and raids no way. Raids and many fractals are boss rushes anyway so it would just be annoying to have an extra players come in and wipe you while at a touch boss. And i am sure not many would like to get random PKs while rushing through the TO mobs for example. In dark souls it can work cause the game pace can be slow till you get to the bosses and there is space for PvP there but the way instances are in GW2 they are too fast paced to add possible PvP in between.

@"TheBravery.9615" said:Care to elaborate on why it's a bad idea?

I think it's a great idea because it breaks away from mundane 'top dps' benchmarking / speedrunning and require players to adapt to unexpected encounters.

Because it brings PVP inside PVE, that's more than enough reason to be a bad idea. Now, if that's not enough for you, if you haven't noticed the PVP modes of this game, WVW and sPVP, use different mechanics, altered skills and gear. How would that work in this "mode" of yours?

@TheBravery.9615 said:

I assume you're talking about Left 4 Dead versus mode? That's a PvP mode where two teams of 4 players play against one another, taking turns to try to get as far through the levels as they can the winners being the ones who get the furthest. There is no mode in L4D that I know of where some random player joins in to take control of a special infected like Dark Souls.

Either way this would just be a minor inconvenience to the people doing the fractal, 5 players will quickly burst down some random player before continuing to burst whatever boss they're fighting.

Heck, given most fractal content they probably won't even notice a melee player before it's destroyed unless they're hugely buffed when they're effectively just another elite or champ to melt. Even if the invader kills a player, so what? They just res and continue on with the fractal so what's the point?

@TheBravery.9615 said:

Not necessarily, it's still PVE at core.
Just some random invader will show up unexpectedly to try and kill off uncooperative players
, kind of like left 4 dead.

Emphasis mine - that right there is PvP. Unless you're talking about some special mob spawning and we've all misunderstood what you suggested?

I am always amazed to see how people come up with ideas that would totally disrupt the game fundamentals, which let core players stick to this game

First:

• PVE has ONLY co-operative interaction with other players
  • Every kind of competitive interaction with other players has to belong to a PVP modeThis has allowed to build a very good community, with little toxicity involved, and your suggestion would totally destroy this fundamental

Second:Something similar to what you propose already exists in game: PvP Stronghold mode - you've got a boss to kill and an enemy team aiming to prevent thatAnd, guess what, almost nobody plays it; it is generally despised by PvP community and not appreciate by PvE one, either

Third:Doing this in end-game PvE content would be like total suicidePeople engaged in raid want to do that, challenge PVE, not interested in ganking / getting ganked by PKersIt would totally, rightfully enrage them and make them quit the game

Really...

Players go to raids and fractal to pve not pvp. This is just an excuse to grief players and would add nothing to the experience other than to put people off. PvP has it's place in Spvp and wvw. The devs are free to make whatever competitive content they deem fit in those existing modes, but it must never be allowed to infect the pve game world

Archived