Hall of monuments

Bast.7253

So I recently picked up guild wars 1 on steam and figured I would work towards some of the things I want in the hall of monuments.

Well, a week later and probably a thousand deaths on my dervish that I’m clearly playing wrong, almost finishing eye of the north and getting close to finishing nightfall campaign, I still only have three points from linking accounts.

I have no clue how to earn more, and from what I’ve read it sounds like a lot comes from having millions of gold in guild wars 1 when I’m sitting at like 1 platinum most of the time and am still wearing mostly starter armor.

I guess there is something I should save up for to buy something to give my heroes before I can submit them to the tapestry thing? That I have to buy from other players in kamadan?

And some minis I have to buy the same way? And level a ranger pet to 20? Or that I can level a heroes pet to 20 and submit it?

Why is guild wars 1 so confusing? I guess I also have to look up builds for them online but I wouldn’t know how to capture more skills for them. It only lets me capture skills for my character?

I really wanted to work my way up to the heavenly glove things but at this point I would settle for the fiery dragon sword.

It might be less discouraging if I felt like I wasn’t made of paper or had the slightest clue how to play the only character I’ve bothered to level and run through the campaigns.

I guess this system is really just meant for veteran players that already had the fancy armor and millions of gold.

Any tips on what I can do? It just seems weird that I’ve completed most of two primary campaigns and only have three points from linking accounts. I just assumed that shield thing that popped up in eye of the north after you complete part of the main campaign was a point in hall of monuments. But I guess it’s just a graphic showing you’ve completed it.

My training raids in guild wars 2 a few nights ago have gone better than most of my dungeons in guild wars 1....... lol

I followed this guide on the official wiki:https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards

You can get good builds for your heroes at:https://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/PvX_wiki

Oh god, now I want to play through GW1 again! What have you done!?!??!111?one?

Edit: also, I need to log in to get my birthday presents, they give you minis which are one of the HoM monuments.

If you've mostly finished Nightfall and Eye of the North but you're still wearing starter armour that will definitely be part of why you're getting killed so much. GW1 is a bit weird in that armour doesn't drop from enemies, you have to buy it from NPCs. There's 2 kinds of armour in GW1 - normal and elite and the only difference is how it looks and how much it costs. You can get normal max stat Dervish armour from Vatundo in the Consulate Docks in Istan or Burreh in the Command Post in Kourna. It doesn't matter which set you get, the only difference is how it looks and which materials are used to make it, so go with whichever you like best (you can see them all on this page) or whichever you can get the materials for most easily/cheaply.

Also armour doesn't have any stat bonuses except the armour rating. Everything else comes from insignias and runes, so make sure you get some to add to it (you can buy them from NPC vendors or from other players), they make a big difference.

As for Hall of Monuments points it's not surprising you've not got any yet. It was created with Eye of the North (the last expansion to GW1) firstly to give players a way to carry some progress over to GW2 so they didn't feel like they were losing everything and starting over and secondly to give them something to work towards when there wasn't going to be any new content. As a result it's very much focused on 'end-game' goals. The reward for completing missions and quests in the other campaigns was simply making progress in GW1 and getting items for that game, not working towards the HoM, because the Hall and the idea of carrying rewards on to a second game didn't exist when the earlier campaigns were created.

Secondly and maybe more importantly it's not an automated system. After you complete something which counts towards the Hall you then have to go there in GW1, add a tapestry from an EOTN storyline to the relevant monument (only needs to be done once for each) and manually add your items or achievements to the monument. So even if you've already completed some of the requirements they won't show up there until you add them. (You also have to log out of GW1 before the calculator and GW2 will show your progress.)

But you will have done some things already which count towards HoM points. For a start completing Nightfall and Eye of the North will give you 2 statues in the Honor monument, and completing all the story missions and their bonuses will get you more statues. You'll also have unlocked heroes who can be added once you've upgraded their armour (or M.O.X. who can be added right away), made progress on some titles and earned gold and items which will come in useful. It's just a matter of knowing what to do to continue that progress.

And if it's any consolation in some ways it's much easier now. When the Hall first came out there was almost no information on what was actually needed - I wasted a huge amount of time and gold getting every mini pet I could to put in the hall, only to find out that only 50 of them counted at all (I think I had 72 in there when the calculator was released) and I only needed 1 green and 1 gold. (I'd have collected the minis either way, but I could have gotten far cheaper dedicated versions rather than buying rarer undedicated ones.)

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I guess there is something I should save up for to buy something to give my heroes before I can submit them to the tapestry thing? That I have to buy from other players in kamadan?You need to upgrade their armour appearance (except M.O.X.) - Wiki information here. This involves getting the appropriate item from a challenge mission (or buying it off another player). You also need to have hung a tapestry in the Fellowship monument in the Hall of Monuments.

And some minis I have to buy the same way? And level a ranger pet to 20? Or that I can level a heroes pet to 20 and submit it?The main way to get minis is from birthday presents, so if you want them quickly, you'll have to trade with someone. If you're lucky, you might find a veteran player who has loads of spares they'll just give away.

You can't add a hero's pet, but you can take Ranger as you secondary profession to tame a pet of your own. You do have to raise them to level 20, though you can do that via death leveling.

Why is guild wars 1 so confusing? I guess I also have to look up builds for them online but I wouldn’t know how to capture more skills for them. It only lets me capture skills for my character?You can take their profession as your secondary profession and buy skills for them that way, or you can use hero skill points for buying some skills. For elite skills you have to capture them from a boss with Signet of Capture, and you have to have the right profession (either primary or secondary). You could also create a new character with a different profession to get the skills - that might be easier at first since skills become more expensive the more you buy (up to a maximum of 1 platinum).

It might be less discouraging if I felt like I wasn’t made of paper or had the slightest clue how to play the only character I’ve bothered to level and run through the campaigns.My guess is you feel like you're made of paper because you still have starter armour.

Any tips on what I can do? It just seems weird that I’ve completed most of two primary campaigns and only have three points from linking accounts. I just assumed that shield thing that popped up in eye of the north after you complete part of the main campaign was a point in hall of monuments. But I guess it’s just a graphic showing you’ve completed it.Completing quests in Nightfall is a reasonable way to get gold, although you don't get a huge amount per quest. Zaishen challenge quests give better gold rewards, and many of them just require you to do a certain mission on normal mode for the gold. Also, if you get a rune or insignia drop that you don't want, check its price at a rune trader - salvaging an upgrade out of a salvage item and selling to the rune trader can be way more lucrative than just selling to the normal merchant.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I guess there is something I should save up for to buy something to give my heroes before I can submit them to the tapestry thing? That I have to buy from other players in kamadan?You need to upgrade their armour appearance (except M.O.X.) - Wiki information
. This involves getting the appropriate item from a challenge mission (or buying it off another player). You also need to have hung a tapestry in the
monument in the Hall of Monuments.

And some minis I have to buy the same way? And level a ranger pet to 20? Or that I can level a heroes pet to 20 and submit it?The main way to get minis is from birthday presents, so if you want them quickly, you'll have to trade with someone. If you're lucky, you might find a veteran player who has loads of spares they'll just give away.

You can't add a hero's pet, but you can take Ranger as you secondary profession to tame a pet of your own. You do have to raise them to level 20, though you can do that via

Why is guild wars 1 so confusing? I guess I also have to look up builds for them online but I wouldn’t know how to capture more skills for them. It only lets me capture skills for my character?You can take their profession as your secondary profession and buy skills for them that way, or you can use
for buying some skills. For elite skills you have to capture them from a boss with
, and you have to have the right profession (either primary or secondary). You could also create a new character with a different profession to get the skills - that might be easier at first since skills become more expensive the more you buy (up to a maximum of 1 platinum).

It might be less discouraging if I felt like I wasn’t made of paper or had the slightest clue how to play the only character I’ve bothered to level and run through the campaigns.My guess is you feel like you're made of paper because you still have starter armour.

Any tips on what I can do? It just seems weird that I’ve completed most of two primary campaigns and only have three points from linking accounts. I just assumed that shield thing that popped up in eye of the north after you complete part of the main campaign was a point in hall of monuments. But I guess it’s just a graphic showing you’ve completed it.Completing quests in Nightfall is a reasonable way to get gold, although you don't get a huge amount per quest.
give better gold rewards, and many of them just require you to do a certain mission on normal mode for the gold. Also, if you get a rune or insignia drop that you don't want, check its price at a rune trader - salvaging an upgrade out of a salvage item and selling to the rune trader can be way more lucrative than just selling to the normal merchant.

This made a whole lot more sense than some of the guides I’ve read. Thank you!

@Kesarai.5084 said:Question....Once a mini pet has been placed on the tapestry stand (can't remember exactly what it called) we still have to keep the pet in our pack or chest right? I can't remember if we have to keep it or if it can be deleted out of our inventory

Once you've dedicated it to your Hall of Monuments tapestry, it can be deleted if you don't want it anymore (or you can just drop it in your Vault if you wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons). You'll always keep the credit.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Kesarai.5084 said:Question....Once a mini pet has been placed on the tapestry stand (can't remember exactly what it called) we still have to keep the pet in our pack or chest right? I can't remember if we have to keep it or if it can be deleted out of our inventory

Once you've dedicated it to your Hall of Monuments tapestry, it can be deleted if you don't want it anymore (or you can just drop it in your Vault if you wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons). You'll always keep the credit.

Thanks tons! I thought we could because I didn't see the others I had dedicated already. I might keep one or two bcuz they are really cool but need the space...lol

For HoM it doesn't matter if you keep it or not. If you want to use it you need it in your inventory ;)

Join a guild in gw1. Loads of master players in there willing to help you. Yes the game is old, but the players really love it. I would suggest rolling one “pre searing” toon. (Wiki it) You will learn a lot about the game and some of the biggest alliances recruit there.

@Brother.1504 said:Join a guild in gw1. Loads of master players in there willing to help you. Yes the game is old, but the players really love it. I would suggest rolling one “pre searing” toon. (Wiki it) You will learn a lot about the game and some of the biggest alliances recruit there.

Yeah, I’ll try posting a request to join one. I’m still getting used to the ui and the few times I have spoken around other players it was troll responses or nothing. I did have one person help me get through shards of Orr to the portal though. That was really nice. Died constantly trying to do that for days. Lol

One of the big differences with GW1 is that it's more like a third person RTS game than it is mmo.

I'd either roll a ritualist or drop this build on one of my heroes as it cheeses like 90% of the content:https://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/Build:Rt/any_Spirit_Spammer

Also since you did get into Eye of the North, try to pick up this skill:https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Pain_InverterIt's another one that kind of just cheesed half the content (mostly bosses, especially the last one for EotN).

In general with most builds you don't need to have EVERYTHING, you can put in similar skills until you can figure out what build/where to get stuff.Oh and get rid of healing breeze, that skill is a scam on heroes.

Tapestry things for GW1:https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Monumental_Tapestry

You'll probably need to play a bit (like all the expansions and some side content) to get a decent amount of unlocks, I'd probably look up a beginner's guide on youtube though.

Is it possible to mess up builds on your heroes? I changed a few things around on Ogden for spells, gave him more healing spells that I picked up and increased some of his healing stats and I feel like he’s just not healing as well as he used to. A lot of them seem to be less functional when I have attempted to add additional spells or customization. Lol maybe I’m overwhelming the ai?

Also, I thought I was almost done with nightfall and then realized I just entered vabbi last night. This campaign feels larger than eye of the north. Lol and the asura quests for eye of the north seemed WAY harder than all the others! Even the zones. Those saurians are not messing around.

If you have trouble playing a Dervish, you could consider trying a different Dervish build

Pick one at the good old PvX Wiki.https://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/Build:D/any_Pious_Teardownshttps://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/Build:D/W_PvE_VoS_Dervish

Also, I had a great time with this hero team buildhttps://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Player_Support

This hero team build is so good that it will give any player a lot more air, e.g. room for mistakes or sub-optimal builds.

or newer:https://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_BiP_Melee_Support

I must say I never played Dervish, I strictly limited myself to my Main Elementalist as I still do with GW2, but if you tried a number of recommended builds and still have a bad experience, consider choosing a different profession. (All professions are fine to play, but you will need to select something that fits your play style. Even the best-rated build is bad if it does not fit you.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Is it possible to mess up builds on your heroes? I changed a few things around on Ogden for spells, gave him more healing spells that I picked up and increased some of his healing stats and I feel like he’s just not healing as well as he used to. A lot of them seem to be less functional when I have attempted to add additional spells or customization. Lol maybe I’m overwhelming the ai?

Also, I thought I was almost done with nightfall and then realized I just entered vabbi last night. This campaign feels larger than eye of the north. Lol and the asura quests for eye of the north seemed WAY harder than all the others! Even the zones. Those saurians are not messing around.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero_behavior

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Is it possible to mess up builds on your heroes? I changed a few things around on Ogden for spells, gave him more healing spells that I picked up and increased some of his healing stats and I feel like he’s just not healing as well as he used to. A lot of them seem to be less functional when I have attempted to add additional spells or customization. Lol maybe I’m overwhelming the ai?

What likely happens is that Ogden's energy management broke down. Keep an eye on his blue bar, see if it often bottoms out! Heroes tend to spam skills, and not wait for maximum efficiency, so keep energy expensive spells off healer bars!

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Is it possible to mess up builds on your heroes? I changed a few things around on Ogden for spells, gave him more healing spells that I picked up and increased some of his healing stats and I feel like he’s just not healing as well as he used to. A lot of them seem to be less functional when I have attempted to add additional spells or customization. Lol maybe I’m overwhelming the ai?Quite possible. Heroes can be really good at some stuff, while being really hopeless at others. For example, for the monk builds, healing works, but protection doesn't, unless it's being micromanaged by the player. They aren't all that good at resource management either, so giving them a lot of energy-intensive spells is generally not a good idea. The builds at PvX wiki take that into consideration.

Archived