Arenanet /Mike O'Brien , the shining beacon of light in the industry.

Nury.3062

I've been playing GW2 for more than 5 years, been a guild leader for more than 4.Lately I stopped playing the game because I wanted to take a break from mmos. (That's to give a bit of info about me).I was here when my ranger (the class ) was as useless as a selfless skritt (bad joke,i know) and the content took months to arrive, even if now I am on a break I still check the news. I was baffled when I heard about the twitter thing.I am an EUROPEAN,i think it's important to say that because in Europe we don't have(in most places if not all) the social issues US has and we see things differently ( generalized claim,ofc there are exceptions) . The social issues in US derive mostly from political views which are mixed in social perceptions. With everything having political roots, the problem is,all the sides push their agendas for their own benefit leaving rationality and honest practices aside and there are so many gullible people to be taken advantage of and push their agenda thinking they do a good job. But I am not here to talk about politics,i am here to thank you Mr. Mike O'Brien and everyone who acted rationally in this issue. With a bit of common sense and an open mind not tainted by any political/social side it's a no brainer to understand what Price (not using pronouns because I don't know what pronouns to use anymore....ha ha), does and how malicious she is by using this opportunity to push agendas that had nothing to do with the issue at all.
After checking the "journalists" and their twitter, who wrote those articles in those publications,not worth mentioning,you will understand why they are so biased and go against Anet. But the whole/all the youtube /ers are with you Anet ,GW2 community is with you and any rational person. Not only that you get free publicity from this because the ones who go against Anet and the people who follow them wouldn't even play GW2 anyways(my assumption not backed by facts) and the ones who are with Anet /or agree with the decision are more inclined to check the game out.Thank you Anet,thank you Mr. Mike O'Brien for all the wonderful moments I had and I will have in this amazing game and thank you for being a beacon of light in an industry and a world who goes against rationality more and more. Maybe this will be a precedent for a better and more rational future. Stay strong ,we are with you!

Long post,i know...

The mods should just merge all the threads within a big ANet appreciation mega thread(with sparkles).

I Agree with Nury. To be fair though, each "side" in this story has its "journalists" and youtubers that push their agenda. I've read terribly biased things about the issue from both sides.

@"Nury.3062" said:I've been playing GW2 for more than 5 years, been a guild leader for more than 4.Lately I stopped playing the game because I wanted to take a break from mmos. (That's to give a bit of info about me).I was here when my ranger (the class ) was as useless as a selfless skritt (bad joke,i know) and the content took months to arrive, even if now I am on a break I still check the news. I was baffled when I heard about the twitter thing.I am an EUROPEAN,i think it's important to say that because in Europe we don't have(in most places if not all) the social issues US has and we see things differently ( generalized claim,ofc there are exceptions) . The social issues in US derive mostly from political views which are mixed in social perceptions. With everything having political roots, the problem is,all the sides push their agendas for their own benefit leaving rationality and honest practices aside and there are so many gullible people to be taken advantage of and push their agenda thinking they do a good job. But I am not here to talk about politics,i am here to thank you Mr. Mike O'Brien and everyone who acted rationally in this issue. With a bit of common sense and an open mind not tainted by any political/social side it's a no brainer to understand what Price (not using pronouns because I don't know what pronouns to use anymore....ha ha), does and how malicious she is by using this opportunity to push agendas that had nothing to do with the issue at all.

After checking the "journalists" and their twitter, who wrote those articles in those publications,not worth mentioning,you will understand why they are so biased and go against Anet. But the whole/all the youtube /ers are with you Anet ,GW2 community is with you and any rational person. Not only that you get free publicity from this because the ones who go against Anet and the people who follow them wouldn't even play GW2 anyways(my assumption not backed by facts) and the ones who are with Anet /or agree with the decision are more inclined to check the game out.Thank you Anet,thank you Mr. Mike O'Brien for all the wonderful moments I had and I will have in this amazing game and thank you for being a beacon of light in an industry and a world who goes against rationality more and more. Maybe this will be a precedent for a better and more rational future. Stay strong ,we are with you!

Long post,i know...

Yes. Just, yes. I noticed some people are already trying to put this down, but this feels like a thread of simple and straight-out appreciation for making a sane business move in a world that glorifies special treatment and immunities. I couldn't be more pleased to see a company decision made in the best interests of the company and the community, rather than sell them out.

Yes. The community is behind you guys, MO. This is why I respect this company. Keep the helm steady, and you'll have me onboard for a long, long time to come.

Totally support this thread as well. We need people like Mike to basically not crumble to pressure of ridiculous SJW rubbish. Its getting out of control. People are saying its justified because Deroir twitter posts were full of microaggressions. This is so much crap it actually makes me angry people are twisting a perfectly polite comment into a degradation of a marginalized group. It blows my mind how deluded people are defending her comments. So I just bought a bunch of Gems and will probably buy a bunch more, its the only way besides posting that I can show my support for Mike. So Anet, put those Lion and Fox mounts back on the market so I can buy them.

@morrolan.9608 said:Yeah the shining beacon of light that has emboldened trolls to ratchet up the harassment of women game devs further.

Literally fake news. The only time place in which this “harassment” occurs is in the mind of people like the dev in question so they can attempt to play the victim card in order to deflect criticism when they are acting a-fool.

She is not getting the attention of “trolls” because she is a poor defenseless woman in the big mean boy’s club that is vidja gajms development but because she is a vile person.

Let’s not forget this is the same person who celebrated the death of John Bain with a snarky tweet on the day of his passing in addition to her recent hissyfit.

Everything she’s getting now is just karma. If a man had acted the same way there’d be absolutely no question or uncertainty of how in the wrong “he” would be. But because she’s a woman she’s managed to delude people like yourself to come to her defense by playing the victim.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@morrolan.9608 said:Yeah the shining beacon of light that has emboldened trolls to ratchet up the harassment of women game devs further.

Literally fake news. The only time this “harassment” occurs is in the mind of people like the dev in question in order to play the victim card in order to deflect criticism when they are acting a-fool.

She is not getting the attention of “trolls” because she is a woman but because she is a vile person. Let’s not forget this is the same person who celebrated the death of John Bain with a snarky tweet on the day of his passing.

Everything she’s getting now is just karma.

Don't feed trolls, bro. Dude's trying to divert the thread into a mirror of the other one. I'm very positive that's not the purpose of this thread.

As a sign of support for MO and Anet's dedication to its community, I'm gonna be encouraging some friends to join GW2.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Literally fake news. The only time place in which this “harassment” occurs is in the mind of people like the dev in question so they can attempt to play the victim card in order to deflect criticism when they are acting a-fool.

She is not getting the attention of “trolls” because she is a poor defenseless woman in the big mean boy’s club that is vidja gajms development but because she is a vile person.

Not talking about Price, read what I posted in the other thread. There is an upswing in the harassment of female devs by trolls emboldened by the firing of Price. I have seen direct stories of what has happened over the past couple of days.

@morrolan.9608 said:

Not talking about Price, read what I posted in the other thread. There is an upswing in the harassment of female devs by trolls emboldened by the firing of Price. I have seen direct stories of what has happened over the past couple of days.

I don’t buy that for a second. Trolls don’t need “emboldening” to troll.

It is also entirely irrelevant to the Price situation in regards to her behavior as it was sexist, toxic and hateful and her firing entirely justified as a result.

What were Anet to do, keep this toxic woman in their employ and let her get away with everything (and take the huge negative reputation/public relations backlash they would’ve gotten in doing so) lest some trolls on the internet were going to be trolls on the internet?

Get outta here with that nonsense. You’re literally suggesting these trolls should be able to keep Anet hostage with their potential trolling. If we shouldn’t do things because “trolls might troll” then nothing would ever get done. Why do you want to empower them so?

She did the number one thing you should never do: act a-fool on social media while representing your employer and had got to go as a result.

Anet’s, and Mike’s, are tied here. Such a person is unemployable due to the damage they cause to your company.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

I don’t buy that for a second. Trolls don’t need “emboldening” to troll.

So these incidences since the firing are purely coincidence, the complaints that were made about these game devs that just happened to come up after the firing and resemble the complaint against Price happened purely by coincidence? I don't buy that.

EDIT here's a statement from one of the companies concerned that verifies what I said:https://twitter.com/OPXSpace/status/1016873103840796672

Archived