Why aren't these animals available Ranger pets? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why aren't these animals available Ranger pets?

I have been collecting pets on a ranger for the first time--I've been here since launch, but ranger was never a profession I spent a lot of time with. As I travel, it has dawned on me that there are many, MANY animals in Tyria that have no juvenile form, which ought to. For instance, the Elonian spotted hyena and mountain hyena. The central Tyrian hyenas we can tame look like they have severe mange... which is cool in a way, but I wish we could also tame the other two (healthy looking) species. I have compiled a brief list of animals that are not available in juvenile form, and I think they ought to be. I am requesting that Arenanet add at least some of these animals as ranger pet options. Look at the list and feel free to add any you'd like to see.

Canines:
Spotted Hyena
Mountain Hyena
Basenji
Coyote
Warg

Birds:
Vulture

Bugs
Parasitic Devourer
Arid Devourer
Wasp
Grub
Giant Beetles (there are many kinds)

Felines:
Fire Stalker
Earthen Stalker

Bovine:
Dolyak
Cow

<1

Comments

• Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018

There isn't a Bovine set.
    Some of them, didn't exist at release, ANet hasn't put a lot into expanding on Ranger pets, despite adding odd pets in both expansions.
    There isn't aw bug set, there is a spider set and a devourer set.

I thought this would be more along the lines of, whey are Raptors, Skale, and Skelk not Ranger pets, since each of them have multiple different kinds, and they're all non-sentient animals

Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

I don't really care about the unique skills. If they added in hyenas and gave them the same skillset as the current species, that's fine by me. I'm more interested in species and appearance diversity.

No, there isn't a Bovine set, but wouldn't it be fun if there were? I mean, you can tame a little pink pig--why not a milk cow or a yak? Same with various types of insect.

I thought of adding raptors, skale, and skelk to the list... but I wanted to keep it short for clarity's sake and let other players add suggestions. So, thanks.

• What about a Quaggan pet >_>

• @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    I don't really care about the unique skills.

Right, but if they are going to the extra effort, lots of other players do care about exactly that.

And they have had trouble with "just a reskin". The Hall of Monument reward reskins are supposed to have zero game impact. However, in practice, either the non-HoM or HoM pet has often been superior to the other, including longer break bars for one of the moas (then the other), and so on.

In short, it's probably never been a priority for them because it has always ended up being more work than they think.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Personally I'd add Plated Behemoth and Marmox to your list. I'd definitely appreciate having one of the healthy looking hyenas though.

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I'd love a pet basenji, or even a mini one.

You're in luck with the mini: there are two of them!

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:
    I don't really care about the unique skills.

Right, but if they are going to the extra effort, lots of other players do care about exactly that.

And they have had trouble with "just a reskin". The Hall of Monument reward reskins are supposed to have zero game impact. However, in practice, either the non-HoM or HoM pet has often been superior to the other, including longer break bars for one of the moas (then the other), and so on.

In short, it's probably never been a priority for them because it has always ended up being more work than they think.

I'm also convinced the Black Moa is more aggressive than the other colours. I feel like it's by far the pet that's most likely to charge off and attack an enemy I didn't even notice when I think the fight is over.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

"I know that I'm born and I know that I'll die, the in-between is mine."

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

Scaled Drake from the Desert, great looking skin, wish I could have one of those as a pet (for the little time I'm not merged with the pet)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    Currently playing: Planescape Torment, Divinity Original Sin 2, Zelda BotW

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Danikat.8537 said:
    I think it's probably because each family of pets has unique skills and each pet within a family has 1 skill which is different from the others. So adding new pets means designing (and balancing) at least 1 new skill, potentially 4 if it's a new family.

But maybe they could add alternative skins for ranger pets? So for example the hyenas would all have the same skills and stats, but you could choose how they look. Or the krytan drakehound could get a basenji skin. (I'd love a pet basenji, or even a mini one.)

I would love an alternative skins for some of the ranger pets.
    Such as
    Sand Lion - Sand Lioness
    Sylvan Hound - Nightmare Hound
    Snow Leopard - Alpine Stalker

As for Alpine Stalker, this is the most wanted pet for me! It's a white tiger!!!! Why cant we have this pet? 😭😭😢

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• AllNightPlayer.1286AllNightPlayer.1286 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018

The real question should be: Why can’t moas and canines be used underwater, although they already have underwater animations ingame?!

• Pirindolo.9427Pirindolo.9427 Member ✭✭✭

Dolyak
    Griffon
    Minotaur
    Wyvern
    Marmox
    Fungus
    Andya's Sheep / Longhorn Sheep (soooo much better than rock gazelle)
    Shadhavar

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

There are definitely quite a few options that would make for great ranger pets. I don't know why we keep getting the strangest pets (like the Jacaranda with its unbearable sound design).

• Vyriis.6258Vyriis.6258 Member ✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

I thought this would be more along the lines of, whey are Raptors, Skale, and Skelk not Ranger pets, since each of them have multiple different kinds, and they're all non-sentient animals

Raptors and Skelk are non-sentient, so they're fair game. Skale, on the other hand, are actually intelligent; be it primitive. They worship Ancient Skale (Longer lived Skale), they have lords who lead their broods, and they are even worshiped by some humans. Though they've been down played in GW2 they are not a race that should ever be a pet. Really hope Anet makes a nod back to them now that we're back in Elona where we killed one of their ancients and saw their human worshipers.

On the pet note, though: I'd still like to push for Riders to be the land equivalent of Jellies. There's enough variety that they could fill multiple roles.

• I want an elephant pet ;)

• whale pet for underwater like the one we get if we summon nature spirit underwater... but no transparency/opacity

• and skritt pet and asura pet <3

• almost forgot.... Panda pet skin for bears

• wolverine pet

• boxing kangaroo pet

• Arrowhead pet, bonebreaker, rolling devil and cave screamer... since we got bristleback

• and i want my alpine wolf to be stronger/useful in a unique way... it gives stout bonus upon melding.... but i want more out of my alpine wolfy

• @Ashantara.8731 said:
    There are definitely quite a few options that would make for great ranger pets. I don't know why we keep getting the strangest pets (like the Jacaranda with its unbearable sound design).

Funny, Jacaranda is my favourite Ranger pet - I love how strange it is, and the weird noises it makes. It's one of my favourite creature designs!

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

i am waiting for a raptor pet since GW1, now you know how long that's gonna take.

• Digital Dragon.2697Digital Dragon.2697 Member ✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

I would love a set of pocket raptors! Those things can kitten you up.

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Weindrasi.3805 said:
    I don't really care about the unique skills. If they added in hyenas and gave them the same skillset as the current species, that's fine by me. I'm more interested in species and appearance diversity.

There's already a ton of that. I've never bothered to tame all available animals as it is. There's more than enough to choose from.

@Biff.5312 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

There's already a ton of that. I've never bothered to tame all available animals as it is. There's more than enough to choose from.

I disagree. I think the selection of animals is quite limited.
    If more options are added, many people will be happy. Those who don't care/aren't interested won't be affected one way or the other.

• Brother.1504Brother.1504 Member ✭✭✭✭

I’d be happy if the pets we have available now were all useful.

• Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭

I’d be happy if any pet is added that has ability to steal boons.

• I want a Warg

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm fine with current number of pets, so much so that I'm to lazy to get the wolf from WvW...and by the way, if you've seen real hyenas they look mangy, at least some of the ones on the African savanna's, perhaps because of fighting over food.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Pirindolo.9427Pirindolo.9427 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2018

We have many pet skins, but 95% of them are useless. I would like to transform them on skins and let us select the 4 abilities we want (single power damage, single condi damage, area power damage, area condi damage, heal, CC...)

For example, you can wander around with an owl, or a pig that has 4 CC abilities, or 2 area damage, 1 single condi damage and CC...

edited July 24, 2018

@Zaklex.6308 said:
    I'm fine with current number of pets, so much so that I'm to lazy to get the wolf from WvW...and by the way, if you've seen real hyenas they look mangy, at least some of the ones on the African savanna's, perhaps because of fighting over food.

Mangy, yes. But not as if they have advanced Mange, a serious parasite infestation, as the GW2 Hyenas do.

Hyena: https://ravenseniors.wikispaces.com/FR+2016+Symbolical+meaning+of+Hyena

Advanced Mange in Dogs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

GW2 Tameable Hyena: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Juvenile_Hyena.jpg

• OrbitalButt.5708OrbitalButt.5708 Member ✭✭✭

Hyenas aren't canines

• Dreadshow.9320Dreadshow.9320 Member ✭✭✭

A Charr. Any legion is fine.

• @OrbitalButt.5708 said:
    Hyenas aren't canines

Not in real life, no - but in-game they're mechanically considered to be canines. Bear in mind this is a game that thinks this is an armadillo, this is a raptor, and this is a cheetah (except when it's not).

The reasoning behind the pangolin naming was that "most people don't know what pangolins are". Perhaps there was similar reasoning for hyenas being canines? (i.e. "most people don't know that hyenas aren't canines".)

@OrbitalButt.5708 said:
    Hyenas aren't canines

No, but finding a visual example of a mangy dog is FAR easier than finding one of a hyena, since we can approach and handle dogs. Try walking up to a hyena with severe mange and getting it to sit still for photos. My point in the dog mange link was to give real-life visuals of mange symptoms. The tameable hyenas don't look ragged from being wild, they look downright diseased.
    For certain character aesthetics, having a diseased or afflicted-looking pet would be great. However, it seems odd that a disease-ridden specimen is the only option we get for hyena pets.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

This right here is the crux of the problem. It doesn't matter what any player specifically cares about or doesn't care about. It matters what groups of players care about.

In MMOs there's a gauge, almost like a fuel gauge in a car, that has two poles, immersion and mechanics. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but leaning to what side or another.

Many players are mechanics players and it's all they see. They don't care about getting cool looking outfits even. They care about getting more stats, nailing down a better rotation, and more skills for their pets. They may not be as numerous, but they have the disadvantage of being louder than other groups. Every change made to the game that doesn't change the mechanics is going to be called lazy or a reskin.

Then there are the players who don't care about mechanics at all, or at least very very little and only care about looking cool. They aren't interested in the most efficient way to do things, or having more build options. They want fancy skinas.

Most people are in between. I'm more of an immersion player but mechanics do matter to me to some degree.

The problem is, you can't add new stats to pets for the length of the game, then switch it up to appease one group of people at the expense of another, louder group., who expect new skills.

Fair point. And if totally new species are added in, then yes, new skills for them should be expected. But different breeds of hyena or dog, for instance, would reasonably have similar abilities--unless a new breed addition has drastic anatomic differences from the original (for instance, if they added a bulldog)

• orion.8457orion.8457 Member ✭✭

I'd love to see a fox, hippo and rhino

• Calvsie.3675Calvsie.3675 Member ✭✭✭

I've always thought it would be great to have a juvenile Human or Charr as a ranger pet...

“You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

• Akath.2650Akath.2650 Member ✭✭

I wish they had added the Sand Eel and the Coyote

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dragon, like aurene .

• Ooze Pet! pls give us an Ooze as pet! :#

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Calvsie.3675 said:
    I've always thought it would be great to have a juvenile Human or Charr as a ranger pet...

To me, that would seem too much like slavery which I'm sure Anet would want perceived by anyone.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• One of my favorite things to do in old GW1 was to have myself and all my heroes set up with the pet skill so I could go out into the world with a pack of crabs and sic 'em on everything and just watch with my heroes on passive. It was quite fun watching them pinch things to death. The hermit crab in this game is cute and all, but I'd love to see the old GW1 "standard crab design"(TM) version as well. So, yeah, I want to be able to yell "I have crabs! And now you do to!" at enemies again. Ahh, nostalgia....

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.