Are accent letters not allowed anymore?

So I decided to make a valkyrie character to get use to being back in guild wars. A lot of norse names require accent letters and it would not allow me to use them. I know in the past I could use them because I had a character with an accent letter. Is this a glitch or is this a change? If this is a change can somone explain why they would change it? It makes it a lot harder to create a characters name :(

Yes it didn’t work it would leave a red space and then I noticed in the bottom left hand corner there is now stresses English letters. The moment I try to use an accent it gets a big red check mark. So now I know it’s intended and not a glitch. Now I want to know why?

Well that’s sad. I personally like to maintain a similar if not the same name across multiple characters to maintain my identity in game and I like the use of the special characters to achieve that.

Gonna have to start getting creative again, ugh. ;p

So I think it must be the specific accented characters the OP chose: most diacritical marks are allowed (a few aren't).

• Example 1: I just tried, Naïves (naive + an s, since obviously without an S wouldn't be available); it works.
  • Example 2: Dîäçrïtíçål Mârç — of those, only one letter failed: the å towards the end of the first word.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:So I think it must be the specific accented characters the OP chose: most diacritical marks are allowed (a few aren't).

• Example 1: I just tried, Naïves (naive + an s, since obviously without an S wouldn't be available); it works.
  • Example 2: Dîäçrïtíçål Mârç — of those, only one letter failed: the å towards the end of the first word.

Did you keep those characters? It would be mad to see them running around.

@zenleto.6179 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:So I think it must be the specific accented characters the OP chose: most diacritical marks are allowed (a few aren't).
  • Example 1:
    I just tried, Naïves (naive + an s, since obviously without an S wouldn't be available); it works.
  • Example 2:
    Dîäçrïtíçål Mârç — of those, only one letter failed: the å towards the end of the first word.

Did you keep those characters? It would be mad to see them running around.

No. I had thought about making the second one as my key running toon.It's the typographical equivalent of a max-sized norn wearing every single infusion in the game, plus colossus etc; I thought it might be fun to have for a while.But then I decided it was too much trouble to copy/paste to delete it each week.

Vaguely related to the OP's concern: I first experimented with "marc" several years ago (maybe 2013?) and I was sure that all the letters were valid, because I had taken time to try them all out before saving the name for later. Around the time of HoT release, I discovered that the å was no longer valid. I was never sure whether I had failed to test that one character of if ANet changed something (by accident or deliberately). Still, it wasn't a recent occurrence.

Let's see, nonenglish?ä, ö,ü, ß, ć, č, đ,ŋ, ž. Do any of those fail?Anyway, what about different charsets? Can the game client handle those?I mean there has to be a russian GW2 community, and I know for a fact that we have polish fans, so at least ł characters are supported.Here, can your character's name contain any of those characters? интернет.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:So I think it must be the specific accented characters the OP chose: most diacritical marks are allowed (a few aren't).

You def have to keep Dîäçrïtíçål Març now

@Castigator.3470 said:Let's see, nonenglish?ä, ö,ü, ß, ć, č, đ,ŋ, ž. Do any of those fail?Anyway, what about different charsets? Can the game client handle those?I mean there has to be a russian GW2 community, and I know for a fact that we have polish fans, so at least ł characters are supported.Here, can your character's name contain any of those characters? интернет.

The game has full support for any diacritics that are used in French, German, or Spanish (or English, but anything that uses a diacritic can be spelled without, too). I think there might be a handful of others, mostly accidents of what's available in most font families by tradition.

The game doesn't support Cyrillic, since there's no official support for any language that uses it (nor support for many other popular languages). (The reasons for that are the topic of several other threads. The short version: too little benefit for the associated costs.)

@Castigator.3470 said:Let's see, nonenglish?ä, ö,ü, ß, ć, č, đ,ŋ, ž. Do any of those fail?Anyway, what about different charsets? Can the game client handle those?I mean there has to be a russian GW2 community, and I know for a fact that we have polish fans, so at least ł characters are supported.Here, can your character's name contain any of those characters? интернет.

Nope, there's no Cyrillic letters in-game, or any other alphabets, only modern Latin script (which includes accented characters). I assume the Chinese servers support Chinese writing, but they're entirely separate to the NA/EU servers.

There is a Russian community, but they use romanized writing, or use other programs to communicate.

@Randulf.7614 said:

• Example 1:
    I just tried, Naïves (naive + an s, since obviously without an S wouldn't be available); it works.
  • Example 2:
    Dîäçrïtíçål Mârç — of those, only one letter failed: the å towards the end of the first word.

You def have to keep Dîäçrïtíçål Març now

Best thief name!

Archived