Add a begging report button

uhh.. afaik begging isn't against the rules. If there harassing, yeah report them. If there scamming, yeah report. However if all there asking is for some gold, let them. If you don't want to hear it, simply block them. There's no need to get so bent out of shape about it.

@"zerorogue.9410" said:uhh.. afaik begging isn't against the rules.Like a lot of things, it falls under a gray area that depends on the context.

• New player asks for helping buying 15-slot bags. It's "begging" in the sense of asking for handouts rather than earning the gold, but I doubt anyone at ANet is going to care much.
  • A veteran player claims to need "just 10 more Vials of Powerful Blood" to finish a legendary, but they do so in all 25 Core, open world maps, several times a day. That's the sort of scam that discourages people from helping anyone else out and potentially /map chat that distracts from the game (or whatever weird political discussion is going on). I can see ANet wanting to nip that sort of thing in the bud.

The OP thinks they saw begging, in a negative sense of the word. If ANet agrees, then they'll take appropriate action. And if not, no harm done.

There's quite a lot of things that constitute inappropriate behavior in the game and there's no way ANet's ToS or other "rules" can list them all. They are going to use their best judgment.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

• A veteran player claims to need "just 10 more Vials of Powerful Blood" to finish a legendary, but they do so in all 25 Core, open world maps, several times a day. That's the sort of scam that discourages people from helping anyone else out and potentially /map chat that distracts from the game (or whatever weird political discussion is going on). I can see ANet wanting to nip that sort of thing in the bud.Like you said, that's a scam. It may be using the guise of begging, but it's not.

I'm just trying to call it like it is. If its someone who actually needs 10 more vials to make a legendary then either help or don't bother them. However if it's like you say in your example, then its not begging, its a scam.

@zerorogue.9410 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:
  • A veteran player claims to need "just 10 more Vials of Powerful Blood" to finish a legendary, but they do so in all 25 Core, open world maps, several times a day. That's the sort of scam that discourages people from helping anyone else out and potentially /map chat that distracts from the game (or whatever weird political discussion is going on). I can see ANet wanting to nip that sort of thing in the bud.Like you said, that's a scam. It may be using the guise of begging, but it's not.

I'm just trying to call it like it is. If its someone who actually needs 10 more vials to make a legendary then either help or don't bother them. However if it's like you say in your example, then its not begging, its a scam.

How could anyone know the full context without access to the entire chat log or that character's account? Remember, other players only see a fraction of the conversation. You would have no idea whether they're trying to scam people or not, or how widespread is their spamming. Scammers count on that anonymity. Either way, it's better to report and let ANet mods investigate. If they find no infraction, then nothing happens and no harm done.

Let me explain what happened to stop some confusion. This one player in LA walks up to me, says they need just 50g more to complete an ascended gear set. I tell them multiple way to get that in 2-7 days, they ignore me and continue insisting so I just blocked then after a while, and I did, they webt to other people on the map.

• 3 weeks later...

This is something very annoying that I have noticed happening a lot more now, presumably because there is no punishment for it. When a lvl 80 character walks up in triumphant armour and clams they need more gold for an armour set, it's very annoying. The problem doesn't go away just by blocking them, because they will just go to other players who may be more gullible and get scammed this way.

Archived