Demonstration of Ranger Pet hit reliability

ChartFish.1308

few ranger pets were continuing to overperform, so those have had their power knocked down.

40% of pet archetypes are able to hit their attacks on a moving target without beastmastery. 73% with beastmastery. how long is anet gonna keep nerfing smokescale instead of fixing pets :d

@"ChartFish.1308" said:

few ranger pets were continuing to overperform, so those have had their power knocked down.

40% of pet archetypes are able to hit their attacks on a moving target without beastmastery. 73% with beastmastery. how long is anet gonna keep nerfing smokescale instead of fixing pets :d

You are doing gods work.

Shame Irenio (or whatever his name is) refuses to to acknowledge proof of this issue that has been around since the very beginning.

Remember when it was proven that a Moa'd Moa pet actually made more hits than a normal Moa ?

Hilarity.

Wouldn't a simple movement speed buff help a lot on this? I would be up for them increasing the pets movement speed a bit and their skill speed a little then moving like 5-10% of it's damage back to ranger. That way the pet doesn't deal a whole lot of damage but is more reliable.

@Zexanima.7851 said:Wouldn't a simple movement speed buff help a lot on this? I would be up for them increasing the pets movement speed a bit and their skill speed a little then moving like 5-10% of it's damage back to ranger. That way the pet doesn't deal a whole lot of damage but is more reliable.

I dont think its just movement speed, but also cast/activation time on some skills and their range.

@Euthymias.7984 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:Wouldn't a simple movement speed buff help a lot on this? I would be up for them increasing the pets movement speed a bit and their skill speed a little then moving like 5-10% of it's damage back to ranger. That way the pet doesn't deal a whole lot of damage but is more reliable.

I dont think its just movement speed, but also cast/activation time on some skills and their range.

Maybe allow them to activate their skills on the move with a speed increase?

On its own it wouldn't. The disparity is created by the cast time of the attacks, the range, the viable angles (the cone for hit detection), and the pet ability to track a target mid-action. If you want to observe this issue up close, just go to any low level core Tyria map, and kit around various melee mobs. Mobs with long tells (cast times) tend to be easily avoided by simply moving laterally. You can tell when a mob has tracking behavior, because they'll rotate to face you in real time while channeling one of their bigger skills. You'll see this behavior more in projectile heavy mobs of Tyria, as well as trash mobs in expansion maps, as thats part of what makes them more dangerous.

You can also try to find Mob versions of the Ranger pets, most share the same basic move set.

Just wanted to say how this post is far from the truth of pets and how they're meant to be used, for starters no one actively tries to run away from your pet on top of that you have loads of cc to help your pet land his attack. You guys seem to think your pet is meant to land 100% of his auto-attacks that's plain stupid. If that was the case I would run a super bunker build with max survival and just auto the target while my pet kills them, cause they will if that was the case.

Learn to use your cc and for god sake learn how to use pets effectively.

@Sol.4310 said:Just wanted to say how this post is far from the truth of pets and how they're meant to be used, for starters no one actively tries to run away from your pet on top of that you have loads of cc to help your pet land his attack. You guys seem to think your pet is meant to land 100% of his auto-attacks that's plain stupid. If that was the case I would run a super bunker build with max survival and just auto the target while my pet kills them, cause they will if that was the case.

...What?

You can still target and kill pets you know. If your fears were justified, SB wouldn't exist.

No one tries to run away because there is no reason to...

Not to mention almost all pets do crap damage, how long would you have to run in circles for to have the pet kill someone?

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:

@"Sol.4310" said:Just wanted to say how this post is far from the truth of pets and how they're meant to be used, for starters no one actively tries to run away from your pet on top of that you have loads of cc to help your pet land his attack. You guys seem to think your pet is meant to land 100% of his auto-attacks that's plain stupid. If that was the case I would run a super bunker build with max survival and just auto the target while my pet kills them, cause they will if that was the case.

...What?

You can still target and kill pets you know. If your fears were justified, SB wouldn't exist.

Not to mention almost all pets do crap damage, how long would you have to run in circles for to have the pet kill someone?

Note to self while fighting a ranger make sure to target his pet, cause that's smart.

Pet's aren't meant to do much damage, they meant to apply additional damage to help your overall damage output, they have a few skills that are meaningful, some pets are better than others and some pets work better than others with different builds.

The main problem with pets atm is they aren't all on the same page, lots of older pets need damage buffs to the "beast mode" skills to bring them on-par with some of the recently released pets.

This topic has been posted so many times over the years, some of the points have merit but most of it is from players who aren't even taking the time to learn how to use their pets.

Not only should they fix pets, but they should rework 90% of them. Just look at the spiders and their insanely long CD on immob and then look at Jacaranda. Immob CD difference is huge and you get better damage from Jaca as well.

Old pets should have been reworked since the introduction of Smokescale, a pet 100% of people playing ranger use. That's just stupid. Having pet choice is just an illusion in this game.

@"Sol.4310" said:Just wanted to say how this post is far from the truth of pets and how they're meant to be used, for starters no one actively tries to run away from your pet on top of that you have loads of cc to help your pet land his attack. You guys seem to think your pet is meant to land 100% of his auto-attacks that's plain stupid. If that was the case I would run a super bunker build with max survival and just auto the target while my pet kills them, cause they will if that was the case.

Yeah but what you're ignoring there are that some pets, even with a 30% speed boost vs warrior with none, manages to land not a single hit. 0%. I'm not saying pets should be able to land 100% of their attacks, but there should be some level of hit reliability. The cannines have a huge leap that could hit their target if they only used it. But they need to be within auto attack range to use it, so instead they'll keep chasing you around trying to get in range.

Pet is meant to be like 30% of ranger damage. Things have been modified over the years, giving ranger some damage back, why? Because pets are like dungeon content. Anet doesn't want to touch them, only if they're seen as "op". It took like 6 months for iboga to get fixed. Then it did more damage than expected, and was nerfed in a week or so. And it's still "overperforming".

Remove pet damage all together and just make it utilty then. Make it invulnerable to damage. Let there only be 1 pet at a time. But at least rework old pets with 1 1/2 sec cast times, 40 sec CDs etc, immune to quickness.Stop with the "git gud scrub" when it comes to pet management. There's only so much control you have over your AI. You can stop it from attacking, but you can't control it's pathing/avoiding damage.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:Not only should they fix pets, but they should rework 90% of them. Just look at the spiders and their insanely long CD on immob and then look at Jacaranda. Immob CD difference is huge and you get better damage from Jaca as well.

Old pets should have been reworked since the introduction of Smokescale, a pet 100% of people playing ranger use. That's just stupid. Having pet choice is just an illusion in this game.

This. I look at old pets like hyena devourer, or jungle stalker (even the literally identical hawks that bleed on F2) and grind my teeth. Some of them still have +1sec cast time on skills, with 40 sec cooldowns. Why am i supposed to ever bring anything else than the handful of 'meta' pets?

@Sol.4310 said:

@Sol.4310 said:Just wanted to say how this post is far from the truth of pets and how they're meant to be used, for starters no one actively tries to run away from your pet on top of that you have loads of cc to help your pet land his attack. You guys seem to think your pet is meant to land 100% of his auto-attacks that's plain stupid. If that was the case I would run a super bunker build with max survival and just auto the target while my pet kills them, cause they will if that was the case.

...What?

Note to self while fighting a ranger make sure to target his pet, cause that's smart.

Pet's aren't meant to do much damage, they meant to apply additional damage to help your overall damage output, they have a few skills that are meaningful, some pets are better than others and some pets work better than others with different builds.

The main problem with pets atm is they aren't all on the same page, lots of older pets need damage buffs to the "beast mode" skills to bring them on-par with some of the recently released pets.

This topic has been posted so many times over the years, some of the points have merit but most of it is from players who aren't even taking the time to learn how to use their pets.

Not sure if you play Ranger or just are on paper theorizing?

Targeting the pet is smart if you have any kind of AOE at all; some pets like birds die if you so much as breathe in their direction.

I mean, pets being glass is why SB spec was created in the first place. If they die, it is basically game over for the Ranger.

Also, if pets shouldn't hit, why buff damage to the F2? Why not rework so the F2 is pure utility? I'd love more (reliable) access to stealth, stability, or even CCs.

I believe that is and has been the core issue. Anet listens to players so much they can't decide what a pet is for.

So we get the theme of the Ranger...hybridization.

Archived