Are there any good resources for someone wanting to get into WvW roaming?

Zexanima.7851

So I think I've finally nailed down a profession (ranger) and have been playing a lot of sPvP. I want to get into WvW as well but want to avoid blob fights, I don't really find those fun and ranger as I understand is useless for them. Are there any good guides or maybe a youtuber that does WvW roaming (more than just fighting montages)? I don't really know the best way to go about it. All I really have so far is "If it's not your color take it, if it is your color defend it. Build things with supplies."

• How do you decide where to go and when?
  • What blue prints do you take with you and why?
  • What do you consider when making a WvW roamer build? (I'm core ranger with full zerker and durability runes and it's working...ok)
  • What do you do when there isn't really any objectives to take?

@Zexanima.7851 said:. Are there any good guides or maybe a youtuber that does WvW roaming (more than just fighting montages)?so guess you are looking for a ranger streamer then, cause why would you make a video of you failing all day? and you need to show what happens if you fail if you want the viewers to learn why you avoid some stuff in the way you do. not sure if there is a good ranger streamer ..

• How do you decide where to go and when?look at the map for enemy movements if you want to hunt players or to decide what object you want to attack. take your time if your new and see how much information you can get from the map. with time you just quickly look on the map and know were to expect opponents.
  • What blue prints do you take with you and why?all of them cause i got the space in my inventory, tho some i use rarely so i throw them between me and downed players with projectile downstate skills if i want to let them bleed out because i disrespect them for whatever reason, the blueprint will then bodyblock the projectiles. you can also use it if your fighting some projectle based builds and got no tree nearby. throwing them also deals damage, but not much.
  • What do you consider when making a WvW roamer build? (I'm core ranger with full zerker and durability runes and it's working...ok)allways a stunbreak, enough mobility/steath to escape from larger groups, enough damage to kill all builds.
  • What do you do when there isn't really any objectives to take?like when your server has all the maps? then you can just spawncamp or go offline.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:So I think I've finally nailed down a profession (ranger) and have been playing a lot of sPvP. I want to get into WvW as well but want to avoid blob fights, I don't really find those fun and ranger as I understand is useless for them. Are there any good guides or maybe a youtuber that does WvW roaming (more than just fighting montages)? I don't really know the best way to go about it. All I really have so far is "If it's not your color take it, if it is your color defend it. Build things with supplies."

• How do you decide where to go and when?
  • What blue prints do you take with you and why?
  • What do you consider when making a WvW roamer build? (I'm core ranger with full zerker and durability runes and it's working...ok)

So, I would ask if your question about blueprints is because you actually want to build them? If so, then likely you will be with at least one other, and that kinda changes some things.

When I am running with two, I bring guild catas. If I am using them I want the other teams Zerg to hesitate or come. So I am going to hit targets of value.

Having a lot of mobility helps because if the Zerg comes ( like I want) then I need to able to get out of dodge.

I tend to go where the other teams prime location is, to distract them from hitting OUR prime location. Ie: if blue is hitting our Garry, I go to their BL and hit a keep.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So, I would ask if your question about blueprints is because you actually want to build them? If so, then likely you will be with at least one other, and that kinda changes some things.

i also build solo catas, depending on map and placement you can get new supplies without them being destroyed and if they are placed really good you can use them multiple times to capture the same objective. especially when we are totally outnumbered at night for example then i will build hidden catas everywhere so i can karmatrain behind em, ensuring everything stays paper till we got more people to actually contest them.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So, I would ask if your question about blueprints is because you actually want to build them? If so, then likely you will be with at least one other, and that kinda changes some things.

i also build solo catas, depending on map and placement you can get new supplies without them being destroyed and if they are placed really good you can use them multiple times to capture the same objective. especially when we are totally outnumbered at night for example then i will build hidden catas everywhere so i can karmatrain behind em, ensuring everything stays paper till we got more people to actually contest them.

Yep. I just play on NA in NA prime... it's tough to do that, but it certainly can be done. It's especially satisfying when those T3 towers get opened for a quick flip. Papering those is satisfying.

I personally have only been able to solo tower lords on alpine and one of the desert towers on my sword Ele, but that is more likely a get gud issue on my part.

U learn roaming, as the name says, roaming.

There are 2 types of Roaming,

The duelist / ganker: He runs around with hotsposts, where unsuspecting players other roamers usually get through, these guys specialize in picking up a nasty target and destroying it in seconds. These "hotspots" are learned over time, in EBG for example, it has the front of the SMC gates, areas around the Sentrys and the like.

the auxiliary force: He does not participate in Zerg, but also focuses on helping the server objectives, flipping camps, scouting (you can tell the map whenever you see relevant movement of enemies), you notice these types of roamers almost on map chat. It focuses on activities, which are sometimes considered irrelevant to an entire zerg, but still useful to server development. Knowledge of pvping is not mandatory, but it is almost essential, because as you are in activities you will be alone most of the time, it is good to know how to stay alive.

map awareness is the most important thing and the one that demands practice to learn.

I play Ranger. I mostly play off peak EU. I flip camps, do some scouting, flip flags, flip the creature camps on EB. I'm crap at 1v1+. I join in calls for help. (Playing in small groups, 'cause off peak, is a lot more fun than running in a blob.) Doing stuff like that helps out, and I learned a lot about how to take various towers and keeps, even if I don't do it.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:U learn roaming, as the name says, roaming.

The duelist / ganker: He runs around with hotsposts, where unsuspecting players other roamers usually get through, these guys specialize in picking up a nasty target and destroying it in seconds. These "hotspots" are learned over time, in EBG for example, it has the front of the SMC gates, areas around the Sentrys and the like.

Duelists arent roaming though, since they fail the basic requirement for roaming - actually roaming. Standing still waiting for a duel isnt roaming.Your description of the ganker is somewhat off too, they're only interested in fighting weaker leftover zerglings and will generally flee at the first sign of an actual roamer. That's why we call them gankers and not roamers to begin with.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:U learn roaming, as the name says, roaming.

The duelist / ganker
: He runs around with hotsposts, where unsuspecting players other roamers usually get through, these guys specialize in picking up a nasty target and destroying it in seconds. These "hotspots" are learned over time, in EBG for example, it has the front of the SMC gates, areas around the Sentrys and the like.

Duelists arent roaming though, since they fail the basic requirement for roaming - actually roaming. Standing still waiting for a duel isnt roaming.Your description of the ganker is somewhat off too, they're only interested in fighting weaker leftover zerglings and will generally flee at the first sign of an actual roamer. That's why we call them gankers and not roamers to begin with.

Good point.

Actually since im return to farming "Royal Guard" title, im back to roaming almost watching SMC, flipping camps to maintain Dollyaks running, building some siege, disrupting enemies trying near towers. So for anyone who is newbie can start like this: choose a objetive and "orbit" around to maintain that.

@kaat.8237 said:I play Ranger. I mostly play off peak EU. I flip camps, do some scouting, flip flags, flip the creature camps on EB. I'm crap at 1v1+. I join in calls for help. (Playing in small groups, 'cause off peak, is a lot more fun than running in a blob.) Doing stuff like that helps out, and I learned a lot about how to take various towers and keeps, even if I don't do it.

This is pretty much what I do. I have a mix of beserker and marauder armour and mostly run around merged with smokescale for the speed buff. Mainly LB as weapon, but I'm testing axe/warhorn to swap - I use wh 4 & 5 when starting fights. GS is probably better, due to having a disengage, but most of the time I find when you have to run it's too late. Mesmers, guardians, and warriors wreck me in fair fights.

You are already well on your way if you can hold your ground in sPvP, as your main objective will be to survive.

As a roamer, besides killing off enemy scouts and stragglers, your most important structure to pay attention to are supply camps and the caravans they spawn. Flipping these denies enemy tower supply to rebuild after an attack, and more often than not causes the breach for the main zerg. Oh yeah, you'll want to play around what the commanders on the map do, always. Same goes with dolyaks, kill them until you can take the camp.

Another useful thing you can do is scout - it's basically track the movement of larger groups on the map and ping location/numbers/guild in mapchat whenever an objective is threatened.

One of the lesser know tasks of the roamer is to prevent enemy structures getting that tier 3 upgrade. This can be done by either making sure no dolyaks get there or a sneaky capture. So if you are alone, you will only need catapult blueprints (superiors, they are 20% faster). Just look at the map. If green team is raiding red corner and your team don't have the people, you can weaken both sides by capping a red tower before green gets there. These dynamics will become alot clearer once you start playing the mode regularly.

Another (incredibly) usefull thing you can do is level Scribe so you can put tactivators and claim structures. This way you can f.ex make sure your garrison reaches tier 3 by protecting both camps and having dolyaks with superspeed.

As for when nothing is happening on the map - that's completely up to you. You can look for a duel. You can capture a tower. Make sure your teams structures get upgraded. Siege up the keeps. There's no limit. What I find most fun though, is to find a big enemy group and follow them non stop, kill the ones that come for you.

To summarize:Your two main goals as a roamer is to survive and to weaken the other teams by denying supplies and timely captures of structures. Being able to kill others is a huge plus. Be as helpful to your team as possible.

For starters though, gear up with atleast exotics and your PvP build, learn how to solo supply camps and simply follow a commander for a while, preferrably on ts. Know that there is a reason for their every decision, and learn to think like they do. After a while you will know where they will go next and this allows you a multitude of ways to make their life easier in the near future. This to me is a true roamer - the enabler. Also suggest you learn to scout, as it will always be a useful skill.

Check this out for further reads:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

@Zexanima.7851 said:

• How do you decide where to go and when?Mostly I check which camps are off cooldown, or close. I consider patterns of capture which show what enemy roamers might be doing. Throw in a few guards, flags, altars, Veteran creatures, and dolyaks, but I tend to be a little careful with flags and altars, as they can show a pattern similar to what I look for...

Change maps... There always seems to be something going, even if you take out guards at enemy towers and keeps, and shoot at gates to sow confusion.

Much of roaming is just learning to anticipate how opponets are navigating the map and in turn countering how they are perceiving you to be navigating the map. Some enemy players move the map like a mouse to cheese but others are far more clever. Getting to know them and how to indentify people that are smarter than the average players is just another layer. Cat and Mouse.

This just comes with experience. You can seem to be no where and everywhere to controllable varying degrees with proper map reading.

The priority for roaming is escape and movement. No matter how good you are, you will always find yourself in fights that become outnumbered quickly particularly roaming near an enemy WP. You will rarely find a "fair" fight as most players won't engage without numbers. On the defensive side, you will want to get to a camp or structure quickly so being fast is good for getting out of unwinnable fights as well as getting you to winnable ones.

Siege, pointless unless you are scouting/defending structures. Then it is upgraded AC and trebs. If you run in small groups (4+) you will find rams and catas helpful. Typically though roaming is considered a solo or a few guys. Once a group reaches 5+ and starts flipping structures most consider that havoc.

You will learn pretty quick on where you need to be and when. Swords are the easiest but there are other indicators such as Veteran Sentries marking players. In EBG Frogs, Moles, Ogres being flipped typically indicate incoming on a camp. On BLs, camps are often flipped clockwise or counter clockwise so if NW or NE camp flips, N camp is likely next. Calling out targets in map chat is always useful particularly when you list color, number and location in the same post. For example, "5 red headed to golanta".

I think you will give up on zerk gear pretty quick while roaming. Way too many hard hitting one shotters out there that come out of nowhere to be running that stuff unless you don't mind respawning frequently. Players hit significantly harder in WvW than the do sPvP.

@Faffin.6741 said:

@kaat.8237 said:I play Ranger. I mostly play off peak EU. I flip camps, do some scouting, flip flags, flip the creature camps on EB. I'm crap at 1v1+. I join in calls for help. (Playing in small groups, 'cause off peak, is a lot more fun than running in a blob.) Doing stuff like that helps out, and I learned a lot about how to take various towers and keeps, even if I don't do it.

This is pretty much what I do. I have a mix of beserker and marauder armour and mostly run around merged with smokescale for the speed buff. Mainly LB as weapon, but I'm testing axe/warhorn to swap - I use wh 4 & 5 when starting fights. GS is probably better, due to having a disengage, but most of the time I find when you have to run it's too late. Mesmers, guardians, and warriors wreck me in fair fights.

That's pretty much what I do in WvW as well. I'll often accompany the zerg, but flank out left and right and try to put pressure on the necros, SB and FB. Sometimes all I can do is get them to dodge out of my rapid fire, but it at least interrupts their rotation and gives some relief. I also find myself helping to finish downed enemy players, as your zerg presses forward, either with a RF or barrage.

I briefly tried using sword/wh, but I went back to GS solely because of swoop, and the combo of Maul + Worldly Impact + Hilt Bash + Maul.

One thing I do struggle with though is stealth. I run with Smokescale / x, but I can't seem to get the hang of it. If I use LB 3, about a third of the time it doesn't work at all, and a third of the time the stealth falls off almost instantly, after which I'm pretty much dead.

A few things that I always carry while roaming:

• Stealth traps
  • Guild catapults
  • Guild Rams
  • Food buffs
  • Utility Buffs

Things I do while roaming on my ranger:

• Solo towers
  • Solo camps
  • Solo keeps
  • Kill people
  • kill sentries
  • kill yaks
  • Hold enemy camps
  • Troll enemy keeps by constantly tapping them until people chase me

KLMALPU.jpgPicture was from MAG and TC match up...

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:A few things that I always carry while roaming:
  • Stealth traps

I will assume you typed wrong and meant supply trap since that isnt mentioned in addition to this, because seriously why.

I like to bait people into them or use them around my catas when I solo a tower... lost count on how many mesmers and thieves ive killed because of it

its also great if you put them in camps and get that thief or mes trying to gank you...

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:A few things that I always carry while roaming:
  • Stealth traps

I will assume you typed wrong and meant supply trap since that isnt mentioned in addition to this, because seriously why.

I like to bait people into them or use them around my catas when I solo a tower... lost count on how many mesmers and thieves ive killed because of it

its also great if you put them in camps and get that thief or mes trying to gank you...

yup they can be a real threat when you dont expect them or dont know where they are. else you can as a thief counter them with either shadow meld as deadeye or self reveal overwrite using ranged weapons ( tho this one is alot harder).

Archived