Power Reaper Benchmarks - Pros & Cons Of Power Reaper

Ok, aside from the first video that was posted that had unrealistic class buffs on, that was achieving 31k+ benchmarks, I ran a 2nd test today using only: Spotter/Sun Spirit/Frost Spirit/Strength/Discipline/Empower - 25 Might/Quick/Alacrity, and then 25 Vuln/Chill on the golem. I was only able to pull around 25k benchmarks while running LF maintain rotations, and 26-27k Gravedigger spam phases, once the Huge hitbox golem with 4,000,000 health was under 50%. I did see Gravedigger spam get lucky RNG a few times and hit 30k, but that usually does not happen.

I want to point out the pros & cons of playing Power Reaper in Fractals & Raids. Sure, there are plenty of other classes capable of landing more damage than a Power Reaper while burning a boss, but how complex are their rotations and how easily can a player survive on those classes? Well, I can say that Power Reaper offers a great deal of sustain, double to triple other DPSing classes, and its rotations to land its 25k benchmarks are the easiest in the game. In other words, any intermediate player could enter Fractals & Raids, meet his 25k benchmark expectations and easily survive while doing it. This isn't so easy to do on other DPS classes unless players have invested a great deal of avid practice towards perfecting gameplay. In other other words, Power Reapers are solid pick ups while PUGing. Very good Power Reapers are also capable of carrying groups & soloing content if necessary. This is due to the great sustain, solid & easy DPS rotations, large amounts of CC it can land to solo barbreak bosses, and sheer versatility in utilities that can be used, given whatever content it is running at the time.

All in all, Power Reaper in my opinion, is a much better build structure than most players are currently giving it credit for.

~ Edited ~ Removed the old video, no reason to repost a new video, as my results were no different than other benchmarks I've seen up to this point in time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, all boons, all class-specifics, not starting from 100% and using 1M hp golem. How about you do this on realistic settings next time?

There's 2 good reasons to reaper: survivability and the pug carry ability with necro resses as BM/Spite/Reaper, which is totally underrated ('cause you don't see any in pro raiders' squads since they rarely go down unlike.random pugs).

@LadyKitty.6120 said:Nice, all boons, all class-specifics, not starting from 100% and using 1M hp golem. How about you do this on realistic settings next time?

There's 2 good reasons to reaper: survivability and the pug carry ability with necro resses as BM/Spite/Reaper, which is totally underrated ('cause you don't see any in pro raiders' squads since they rarely go down unlike.random pugs).

Agreed

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@"LadyKitty.6120" said:Nice, all boons, all class-specifics, not starting from 100% and using 1M hp golem. How about you do this on realistic settings next time?

If you would have watched the entire video, I did that already on the 3rd rotation listed as "realistic rotation while maintaining life force" and the 4th rotation. There are 4x different rotations in this video, which are situations that Power Reapers wind up in:
  • Rotation #1 - Blowing life force bar on shroud #1 dhuum fire spam
  • Rotation #2 - Dhuum spamming into Gravediffer spam
  • Rotation #3 - Realistic rotation where the player is maintaining life force with a more complex rotation, and the golem is set to medium health
  • Rotation #4 - No raid buffs, no condis on golem

Rotation 3 is what people try to compare to. If we want to do testing then we need to do with standardized conditions, this means 4m hp golem and same buffs and condis on the golem. I can see AP on there and probably empowerment? Looks like some things got clipped off. The result is 28k dps. That is absolutely bottom of the dps totem pole.

However I do not disagree entirely with your post. Yes this is completely viable dps. Yes it is incredibly simple to pick up to play while offering great defense and thus good for newbies. However no 28k is a bit too low. You want the spec to be around 31k-33k to be considered on the same level. So around 15% more damage give and take.

Completely agree. I only did this because there is a lack of information on Power Reaper play.

Also, first time I've ever made one of this videos. I thought it was standard to turn on all boons/condis while attacking the golem for a full dps demonstration. Sorry about that. Speaking of which, what boons/condis are considered standard for running these tests?

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Completely agree. I only did this because there is a lack of information on Power Reaper play.

Also, first time I've ever made one of this videos. I thought it was standard to turn on all boons/condis while attacking the golem for a full dps demonstration. Sorry about that. Speaking of which, what boons/condis are considered standard for running these tests?

No worries, I figured it was your first time doing benchmarking.

We follow the standard on https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks/ for the buffs/conditions to do benchmark. You can click on the buffs section to see what people use. You can use all boons/condis for power reaper since none of the extra ones really matter but some of the profession specific buffs should be taken off. As well using 4m golem since a 1m golem means you will hit the execute range faster and thus result in higher dps.

I'm sorry but a thread like this is more harmful then good. Power reaper hitting 25-26k as op claims is 64% of what dead eye hits. A power reaper running as glassy as possible should not be 35% under a dead eye running as glassy as possible. If you want to complain that reaper is too tanky to have good dps, fine, take away some of reapers tankyness, but currently necro doesn't have any option besides being tanky, and thats ridiculous. Give necro a trait that makes life force no longer act as a 2nd health bar, or figure something else out.

A thread like this pretending everything is fine, is essentially letting Anet off the hook. Balance this class Anet.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Well, I can say that Power Reaper offers a great deal of sustain, double to triple other DPSing classes, and its rotations to land its 25k benchmarks are the easiest in the game.

Well, u clearly are not aware of the deadeye and they hard rotation of autoattack + mark every 30 secs to obtain 32k dps at golem.

I've been playing the reaper lately and have carried many groups in fractals who are running meta but cant play it (Res machine in some cases) .

Sure cant perform the same dps output as a perfect rotation but most meta followers dont really do a perfect rotation lol.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:In other other words, Power Reapers are solid pick ups while PUGing. Very good Power Reapers are also capable of carrying groups & soloing content if necessary. This is due to the great sustain, solid & easy DPS rotations, large amounts of CC it can land to solo barbreak bosses, and sheer versatility in utilities that can be used, given whatever content it is running at the time.

All in all, Power Reaper in my opinion, is a much better build structure than most players are currently giving it credit for.

Yes indeed. In fractals, especially, people need to be able to sustain and not rely on a healer completely. I've done lots of fractals on warrior, necro, ranger, and engineer, and can say that PUGing with necro is by far the most successful way to go; it may not be the fastest, but DPS isn't everything.

@"Jasonbdj.4021" said:I've been playing the reaper lately and have carried many groups in fractals who are running meta but cant play it (Res machine in some cases) .

For t4 fractals, I always run the Blood Magic line because of the same reasons. I think I'll start typing "necro carry!" every time I save a run because of being a rez bot and/or finishing it alone. Even just yesterday I rezzed 3 members at the same time. T3 and below I can run full damage.

@alez.2137 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Well, I can say that Power Reaper offers a great deal of sustain, double to triple other DPSing classes, and its rotations to land its 25k benchmarks are the easiest in the game.

Well, u clearly are not aware of the deadeye and they hard rotation of autoattack + mark every 30 secs to obtain 32k dps at golem.
  • And Spellbreaker, with an as easy rotation if not easier, and being FAR more tankier than the Reaper! Oh and don't forget that they even easily outDPS the reaper
    with
    their banners equipped, so being FAR more important to the group as well!
  • And don't forget the (core) Guardian with a braindead rotation and again also being far more helpful (Aegis, Qucikness, etc.) to the group .... AND having more armor, the thing that actually REALLY saves lives in endgame PvE (instead of the always so overrated healthpool, which is actually only really valuable for low level open world PvE or against heavy condi encounters)
  • Ooh, almost forgot Mirage with their evade, evade, evade rotation ... I hopefully don't have to explain how much survivability that one offers above a reaper, do I? Benchmarked still at 32k, btw!
  • I could go on, with the no-kit Holo, Stance share SoulBeast (pwr AND condi), hell even the Sword Weaver all easily outdps the Reaper by a
    longshot
    (not just a small margin, differences range between 15%-35%) and all of them have easy rotations and survivability at least matching the reaper. Cause don't forget that HP is not that important in the PvE endgame as so many believe here, it really are the blocks, invulns, evades, AR, and mobility even that really saves you. All which happens to come in VERY short supply with the Reaper ....

Power reaper is fine when played well, but it doesn't do 25k dps for mediocre / bad players. And the amount of mediocre / bad players who gravitate towards the tankiness and simplicity of power reaper is quite large.

If you want an easy, effective rotation no-kit holo is easier and better. The pro's of the power reaper is that you can kick them from any group without feeling guilty.

@Etheri.5406 said:Power reaper is fine when played well, but it doesn't do 25k dps for mediocre / bad players. And the amount of mediocre / bad players who gravitate towards the tankiness and simplicity of power reaper is quite large.

If you want an easy, effective rotation no-kit holo is easier and better. The pro's of the power reaper is that you can kick them from any group without feeling guilty.

Yes, I've yet to witness a good Power Reaper going beyond 10k in PUGs.

@Alchimist.4738 said:

@Etheri.5406 said:Power reaper is fine when played well, but it doesn't do 25k dps for mediocre / bad players. And the amount of mediocre / bad players who gravitate towards the tankiness and simplicity of power reaper is quite large.

And I am yet to witness a good thief, spb, weaver, holo going beyond 10k in pug and not dying :)

Pro : Cleave/dps and survivability against trashmobs. Self 25 might stacks and 100% crit. DS works great with scholar runes. Boon rip (when mesmer or SB are too skilled to change skills and traits)Con : no heal when in DS, a single hit can mess up your LF, your rotation. Your DPS in general.

@Sublimatio.6981 said:

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:Pro : DS works great with scholar runesCon : no heal when in DS

you do realise the error here right? if you have to do shroud rotation and you got hit 0.1 sec before entering shroud, you're forced to be doing 10% less damage because you don't get healing

Actually, there is such a god awful amount of life leeching that comes off Power Reaper builds, you'll be full health again pretty quickly.

@Alchimist.4738 said:

Yes, I've yet to witness a good Power Reaper going beyond 10k in PUGs.@Naustis.8510 said:

And I am yet to witness a good thief, spb, weaver, holo going beyond 10k in pug and not dying :)

You both seem to be very unfortunate. It's kinda hard not to hit 10k as dps-spec. Oo

BTT: In my opinion, one of Reapers biggest drawbacks is that its really slow. The animations feel kinda clunky. I'd just wish they'd make animation faster (maybe reduce some CDs so the rotation feels smooth), so it's more fun to play. Since that would increase the DPS-potential, maybe they could finally do something about Gravedigger. It's just not fun spamming one skill below 50% HP.

@Naustis.8510 said:

I've seen a LOT of spellbreakers, weavers and holos going well beyond 10k. Since the change, thieves too. Good players gravitate towards good classes, at least most of them. Or rather - players who genuinely care about their performance are more likely to play a class which performs well.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:Pro : DS works great with scholar runesCon : no heal when in DS

you do realise the error here right? if you have to do shroud rotation and you got hit 0.1 sec before entering shroud, you're forced to be doing 10% less damage because you don't get healing

Actually, there is such a god awful amount of life leeching that comes off Power Reaper builds, you'll be full health again pretty quickly.

that may be the case if you only lost like 15% hp but if you enter shroud at around 65% or less, you are still dpsing without scholar bonus - up to the point where you leave shroud.

• 2 weeks later...

@Warscythes.9307 said:

@"LadyKitty.6120" said:Nice, all boons, all class-specifics, not starting from 100% and using 1M hp golem. How about you do this on realistic settings next time?

If you would have watched the entire video, I did that already on the 3rd rotation listed as "realistic rotation while maintaining life force" and the 4th rotation. There are 4x different rotations in this video, which are situations that Power Reapers wind up in:
  • Rotation #3 - Realistic rotation where the player is maintaining life force with a more complex rotation, and the golem is set to medium health

Rotation 3 is what people try to compare to. If we want to do testing then we need to do with standardized conditions, this means 4m hp golem and same buffs and condis on the golem. I can see AP on there and probably empowerment? Looks like some things got clipped off. The result is 28k dps. That is absolutely bottom of the dps totem pole.

However I do not disagree entirely with your post. Yes this is completely viable dps. Yes it is incredibly simple to pick up to play while offering great defense and thus good for newbies. However no 28k is a bit too low. You want the spec to be around 31k-33k to be considered on the same level. So around 15% more damage give and take.

Then remember Weaver barely does 30k with much more complex gameplay, zero utility and being 3x more fragile.

@Feanor.2358 said:

Then remember Weaver barely does 30k with much more complex gameplay, zero utility and being 3x more fragile.

There are weaver builds that do more damage and have more utility but you don't recognise them because it's not the build you want to play or "why play this when I can play another class".

But I mean nice try to push your "woe is me weaver is the worst" agenda.

Archived