Rock over McLain's Encampment... Is it okay to go there?

Toolbox.9375

If you're on the green team, you're able to get on top of the massive rock overlooking the southwest camp in the Desert Borderlands by doing some jumping around and gliding. I found a way to it due to my high enjoyment of finding sniping positions for my Longbow Ranger. :P Here's a screenshot of the location, and the damage popup showing that attacks can hit from that spot.sar7ZYn.jpgWith my most recent escapades, an enemy player that I tried (and failed) to kill invited me to a party and asked how I'd gotten up there. Pleasant fellow, not entirely relevant. Anyway, there was another person attacking the camp with him, and they became quite obsessed with trying to prevent me from sniping NPCs, starting with Feedback bubbles and moving on to building a Ballista when it became obvious that their limited bubble coverage wasn't remotely enough to keep the camp personnel alive. I commented on their efforts to the person that'd invited me, and they relayed that the person "hates exploiters".

Now, I quite honestly never thought of the idea that getting up there could be considered an exploit. I suppose I can see where they're coming from, though on a selfish level, I really, REALLY enjoy finding obscure little jumping paths to get to bizarre locations that keep me safe from retaliation. Further, the area doesn't allow siege construction, so I have to wonder if ArenaNet already know that it's possible to get up there.

With all that said, what would be the general consensus among other players about this location? Is it an exploit to snipe from up there, or simply a cheesy little trick that, while perhaps underhanded, you would deem acceptable from an objective standpoint?

Good question. Could send it to exploits email and they can judge within 2 years,

Could they hit you? Either with the ballista or arrows? If yes, I doubt it's an exploit. On my phone so I can't tell if you had the invulnerable buff from 'spawn' or not.

Otherwise, I wouldn't call it an exploit.

@Toolbox.9375 said:If it's a fair fight, you're doing it wrong!

As far as jumping there, the only iffy aspect is that only Green team players are able to get there (as far as I've found, at least), since they have their spawn area to glide from.

Well in that case I could see ANET considering it an exploit. Anything that gives you an advantage over other players is technically an exploit. If they could physically get up there as well it would be different.

I don't really see how you can be blamed for finding a sneaky sneaky spot. You can't even capture the camp from there, which already is available to the entire map, so not really an advantage.

Still suggest you post a bug report and include a screenshot with the description of how to get there - atleast then you can't get repercussions for going there after that. If it's unintended, they will fix it.

Archived