Scavenger's Gathering Tools from Gathering Merchant

I just noticed that the [Gathering Merchant] -- such as "Jess" in Divinity's Reach, or "Galad" in The Grove -- has two different sets of "Scavenger's" gathering tools. Both appear to have the exact same description, except that one set is sold for 350 karma while the other is sold for 7,350 karma.

Perhaps I missed a patch note somewhere -- is there a difference between these tools , or is one set simply being offered at a discount (perhaps on a rotating basis)?

I'd report it as a bug and see what happens. 5-8k seems the typical costs in karma:

350 seems like a typo.

Added:Wiki article on Jess shows 7350, so it might be a recent issue.

More researchThe item IDs for the two different kinds are the same:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/?search=%5B%26AgGnVQEA%5D%5B%26AgGnVQEA%5D

(which means: you can buy either; the functionality will also be the same)

Personal noteWarning: near the launch of the game, some karma-bought weapons were being sold for the wrong amounts (similar sort of typo). People who repeatedly exploited this difference were suspended or sometimes banned from the game. (The story is somewhat longer and can be partially found on the wiki's Exploit article.)

The point being: taking advantage of ANet's mistake to buy dozens of karma items at a discount could come back to bite the player exploiting the error.(Your mileage will vary. It's impossible to predict ANet's response in all situations.)

That's precisely why I asked. I've been refreshing my characters with karma-bought tools since they've been introduced, and I just noticed this. I wasn't sure if it was an intentional new discounted rotation or or a typo. I refreshed with one set at the lower price, but I'll hold off on purchasing anything in bulk until we get a confirmation on whether this is intentional.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/48504/purchasing-of-scavenger-s-gathering-tools-temporarily-disabledPer above, purchase of the tools has been disabled until they can fix the issue.(Not sure why they disabled all of them, perhaps it was easiest just to block the tab rather than individual items)

Thanks to all who reported the discrepancy (and to ANet's quick response).

Archived