Help me choose an off-meta all around stat combo

Strigidae.8540

Hello all!I'm looking for a set with stats that can compliment all the strengths of the Guardian at once, even if it doesn't reach the benchmark numbers of specialized sets like berserker or viper.Specifically, I am looking for something that can make use of core and DH's power damage, and FB's condi damage and healing, all at once. I know, it won't be as effective as the meta, but 90% of my time I'm just doing open world stuff, dungeons or lower tier fractals. I like to make use of the strengths of a class without needing to swap gear.Currently I'm considering marshall or celestial stats, and I have two questions:

• What can be the approximate difference between those stats and a meta build? For example, approximately what percentage of damage a marshall DH will lose to a zerker DH, or a marshall FB to a viper FB?
  • Can you recommend me other stat combos?

Thanks!

I main Celestial Firebrand with Balthazar runes and Sigil of Smoldering + traits for 85% Burning duration, pretty good damage and lives forever in open world PvE/story, I totally recommend it. :) Never played a meta build before so I don't know the damage difference, lol.

Grieving is probably your best bet.

For power, guardians have the flexibility of only requiring two of the necessary power stats due to the Radiance traitline. So the first two stats you'll want are power and ferocity.Condi guardians don't need to max condition damage, or require precision for condis on crit. Burning is one of the best scaling condition; short duration but huge burst potential. Guardians can consistently apply burning through Virtue of Justice (with the related trait), increase application of burning with quickness, and improve the effectiveness of burning by stacking might.

Grieving gives power and condi as the major stats, and precision and ferocity as the minor stats. There aren't other stats that give the combination of power, condition damage, and ferocity. Not to mention Grieving Firebrand isn't that far off meta guardian dps, so you won't have to worry about getting kicked by elitists in lower tier fractals (it does exist), and works better than Viper for when you swap to core or DH.

To answer your Marshal stat comparison question:Marshal is Power, Healing, Condition damage, and Precision. Compared to Berserker's, it has less power and no ferocity. Compared to Viper's, it has less condition damage and no expertise. So it'll lose in DPS by a fair margin. Precision is essentially a wasted stat on Radiance guards (main difference between Valkyrie and Berserker guards is extra sustain vs near 100% crit chance). Healing power by itself isn't enough since Firebrand utility mainly comes from mantras and Tome 3, and you'll need concentration to increase your effective utility.

This thread has inspired me to make a grieving set. Something like Balthazar's rune, berserker rune, elementalist rune , renegade rune, etc would also work.

Celestial in part could work, but I think a full set would be too low on power and condition damage.

The only way I'd see Marshal's working is if you run support with mace , I don't think in PvE you want a full set of that.

I'm looking for a set with stats that can compliment all the strengths of the Guardian at once, even if it doesn't reach the benchmark numbers of specialized sets like berserker or viper.Specifically, I am looking for something that can make use of core and DH's power damage, and FB's condi damage and healing, all at once.

You will use none of the strengths of the class. Condies without condi duration are pretty awful. Boonspam without boon duration is just as awful. Hybrid builds focussing on one or two aspects is doable. Focussing on ALL aspects just means you focus on none; and which doesn't mean you're playing to the strengths of any of these specs.

You can focus on condi + support with seraph, power + support with harrier (and radiance traits), or condi + power with grieving / viper.Celestial means, especially for PvE doesn't really do anything well. It's good enough - because everything is - but that doesn't make it less awful.

@Strigidae.8540 said:Thanks but that's not what I'm looking for at all.Any comments on using marshall gear?

Marshal is quiet nice but support heavy so you have more healing than dmg, sweet for groups though i use it on my ranger atm.Seraph would be an option too but weak on the power part. The boon duration is nice though and helps with high prot and regen uptime.There is also the new stat set if LS4 called plaguedoctor.It deals power and condi dmg and has healing and vitality.Together with radiance you could crit always and would have all arround guardian beneficial stats.

DH in marshal would lose alot really. Speaking of FB as an offensive support I would look at the new 'plaguedoctor' . Way back before all the nerfs FB was dealing good damage in PVE being in Grieving but those days have gone.

Best so far for openworld on my DH is Valkyrie armor /Zerker trinkets and weapon, Eagle runes. But that is just me.

I’m currently running this core-guardian build and I like it a lot. The retaliation and aegis uptime really make it work. It’s quite tanky while still putting out decent numbers.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVMQNAR8dl0AhGhYhQwfHQQEHxDldDy3INnivYMWDgGoeB-jxCBQBKSTAAuAAnz8Xe0Bwv9HCwBBQPaEenSQFq+zFV+VhnAAA-e

You can even sub in Firebrand for Virtues if you like the axe skills. They work well with Power and the quickness traits work pretty well in conjunction with the buffs retaliation gives. The Tome of Justice 4 and 1 skills make for pretty decent AoE as well.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVMQNAR3dn0ABNChFCBGBDEEhl4BrKA0AqXWbg8Vka/lWT7pA-jhCBQB8b/h3pEUhq/cRlf6RjQFeCA5RXAAuAAB4gAcOzfAA-e

I dont raid or do fractals so the meta dependency is lost on me. I loathe being squishy, hence the toughness/vitality gear.

It feels very...Paladin-like...

I’ve also subbed in DH (3/2/3) and had good results. The tether and dps trap work nicely.

@phs.6089 said:DH in marshal would lose alot really. Speaking of FB as an offensive support I would look at the new 'plaguedoctor' . Way back before all the nerfs FB was dealing good damage in PVE being in Grieving but those days have gone.

Best so far for openworld on my DH is Valkyrie armor /Zerker trinkets and weapon, Eagle runes. But that is just me.

Please don't use concentration armor without considering the alternative boon duration sources first. At 15 points per 1%, concentration sigil is equivalent to 495 base stats. Leadership rune is equivalent to 702 base stats. It's much better to sacrifice runes and sigils for boon duration than armor.

• 1 month later...

@"Ryan.9387" said:Celestial has respectable damage while being extremely tanky. Best with firebrand and symbols.

Hi, would you mind sharing your build?

Sorry for necroing a one-month-old thread, but I feel I don't need to start a new thread for this.

Edit: I failed to notice the OP is asking for "open world stuff, dungeons or lower tier fractals". I was looking for WvW build.

Since it's been necro'd, I'll just add this Marshal/Celestial/Divinity build I'm using now for open world, events and such:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRArf5dn0ABNDhlDBeDBkCjlACbPieR7oZDhHUNwKA8AeTA-jhiAQBR7JA4ATQzY/hFYGAAnEAnqfIpKBFryAsq+DaU6RKgAXAA-e

Jack-of-all-trades, master of none. But it has pretty good F2 healing, and +40% burn duration with 685 condi dmg, yet still has 2K power w/38% crit chance.

Archived