What are your opinions on Thief?

King Nutella.4570

Like the title suggests, I wonder what your opinions on it is. What do you think of the aesthetic, the gameplay, and it's power (like how balanced it is)? Consider the elite professions as well, daredevil and deadeye.

Do you think it requires skill to play? Is it just easy mode button smash? Is it broken? Is it fodder?Just curious as to what the general consensus of this profession is.

From what I see so far, a lot of people seem to think negatively of thieves in game. Some complain that it makes balancing a nightmare, it's "gimmicky", the elite specs look lame, it's overpowered, it's just spam, very little counterplay, daredevil's capability to tank is too high for a thief. That's what I've seen in game. Thoughts?

thief is imo def kind of hard to play to really shine with it, but the things you can do when you finally managed to master it are obscene...way too much mobility paired with stealth, basically unkillable if they dont want to die, can reset every fight and re-enter it when they are about to lose, so you basically have to oneshot them

i despise the way they have to be played, just like mesmer, im not into that deceiving and hit n run playstyle

mainly seeing them in wvw roaming, cant say stuff about pve

Do you think it requires skill to play?

Yes.

Is it just easy mode button smash?

Nope.

Is it broken?

No more than other professions.

Is it fodder?

It definitely have a place in the game in both thematic and play style.

From what I see so far, a lot of people seem to think negatively of thieves in game. Some complain that it makes balancing a nightmare, it's "gimmicky", the elite specs look lame, it's overpowered, it's just spam, very little counterplay, daredevil's capability to tank is too high for a thief. That's what I've seen in game. Thoughts?

Regarding balancing, it doesn't have more impact than any other profession can have. It isn't "gimmicky". E-Spec are pretty cool, DD is a kind of martial artist while DE is litteraly what the thief comunity asked for, how could they look lame? It's not just spam or overpowered and there is plenty of counter play. GW2 is a game where you are supposed to be able to build for any kind of role (tank/support/dps) with all the professions, why would it be an issue for the thief to be able to "tank".

Thought: Before the last patch you wouldn't even hear of the thief. It was just a bland profession that threaten nothing and nobody. Sure, it did have burst and it killed isolated unsuspecting players like what you would expect of a stealthy bursty profession. After the patch the PvE overlord got down from it's throne and the almost inexistent PvE thief replaced him. The overlord is not happy with this situation like he was not happy when condi ranger were outdoing him and like when the epidemic necromancer was outshining him. Negativity that you see in the game is nothing more than petty bullying and unjustified dissatisfaction.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:

Yes.

Nope.

Is it broken?

Is it fodder?

Regarding balancing, it doesn't have more impact than any other profession can have. It isn't "gimmicky". E-Spec are pretty cool, DD is a kind of martial artist while DE is litteraly what the thief comunity asked for, how could they look lame? It's not just spam or overpowered and there is plenty of counter play. GW2 is a game where you are supposed to be able to build for any kind of role (tank/support/dps) with all the professions, why would it be an issue for the thief to be able to "tank".

Thought: Before the last patch you wouldn't even hear of the thief. It was just a bland profession that threaten nothing and nobody. Sure, it did have burst and it killed isolated unsuspecting players like what you would expect of a stealthy bursty profession. After the patch the PvE overlord got down from it's throne and the almost inexistent PvE thief replaced him. The overlord is not happy with this situation like he was not happy when condi ranger were outdoing him and like when the epidemic necromancer was outshining him. Negativity that you see in the game is nothing more than petty bullying and unjustified dissatisfaction.

Wait what exactly are you talking about here? Hmmm are you being cryptic? I am genuinely curious.

@Ryou.2398 said:Wait what exactly are you talking about here? Hmmm are you being cryptic? I am genuinely curious.Thief, especially Deadeye received a pve damage buff that took it from obscurity all the way to the top. There are some modifiers, but I think that's basically what he was referring to.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Ryou.2398" said:Wait what exactly are you talking about here? Hmmm are you being cryptic? I am genuinely curious.Thief, especially Deadeye received a pve damage buff that took it from obscurity all the way to the top. There are some modifiers, but I think that's basically what he was referring to.

Exactly.

he was asking who you were refering to with "pve overlord" almost like you were salty that the pve overlord even existed or something along that line

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"Ryou.2398" said:Wait what exactly are you talking about here? Hmmm are you being cryptic? I am genuinely curious.Thief, especially Deadeye received a pve damage buff that took it from obscurity all the way to the top. There are some modifiers, but I think that's basically what he was referring to.

Exactly.

he was asking who you were refering to with "pve overlord" almost like you were salty that the pve overlord even existed or something along that line

Should I have said instead that the voice of the elementalist's community is really loud when they are not at top dps in PvE? So loud that you can hear it accross all gamemodes.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

Exactly.

Should I have said instead that the voice of the elementalist's community is really loud when they are not at top dps in PvE? So loud that you can hear it accross all gamemodes.

since i have no idea about pve, yep, you sure should :)

Last buff (10/07) was good-intended but missed it's point.It buffed D/D to the top of DPS with a stupid easy rotation tbh - especially compared to the piano-weaver - D/D-Thief hits 38k no Problems while most weaver will struggle to even hit 35k - playing a Piano-Class...

Yes, Thief should deal a lot of DMG - but rather with Rifle-Kneeldown since it restricts movement and puts skill away from playing piano to a strategic approach where you position yourself - at least that's what it probably should have been like.

A sneaky nerf would be decent - 38k is too much, 30k for that easy rotation.But it'd be better to increase the difficulty without making it another Piano-Build.

Thief is extremly squishy (at least Deadeye, not Daredevil) - making it for newbies not as simple as it might seem.

@RedShark.9548 said:thief is imo def kind of hard to play to really shine with it, but the things you can do when you finally managed to master it are obscene...way too much mobility paired with stealth, basically unkillable if they dont want to die, can reset every fight and re-enter it when they are about to lose, so you basically have to oneshot them

i despise the way they have to be played, just like mesmer, im not into that deceiving and hit n run playstyle

mainly seeing them in wvw roaming, cant say stuff about pve

I see. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'm also not a big fan of the hit and run style but I do like having the option to do so. I'm only gold level in PvP but as a daredevil I'm able to go head to head with some classes in a fun fight without having to rely on stealth all the time. I even had a fight with a warrior of equal level that took a minute to finish. That said, dealing with guardians and necros gets difficult when I'm not trying to burst them down ASAP.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:

Yes.

Nope.

Is it broken?

Is it fodder?

Ah I see now. I'm still not familiar with all of this meta stuff about the professions. Though from what I'm seeing, thief is pretty balanced now isn't it? Virtually no cleave (unless you're DD but that loses DPS and has more mobility), incapable of support, low health with average armor, high mobility, active defenses like evading and stealth (but they require good timing), and great single target DPS.

@Yatex.2083 said:Last buff (10/07) was good-intended but missed it's point.It buffed D/D to the top of DPS with a stupid easy rotation tbh - especially compared to the piano-weaver - D/D-Thief hits 38k no Problems while most weaver will struggle to even hit 35k - playing a Piano-Class...

Yes, Thief should deal a lot of DMG - but rather with Rifle-Kneeldown since it restricts movement and puts skill away from playing piano to a strategic approach where you position yourself - at least that's what it probably should have been like.

A sneaky nerf would be decent - 38k is too much, 30k for that easy rotation.But it'd be better to increase the difficulty without making it another Piano-Build.

Thief is extremly squishy (at least Deadeye, not Daredevil) - making it for newbies not as simple as it might seem.

True, I'm not a fan of easy rotations.

@King Nutella.4570 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:

Yes.

Nope.

Is it broken?

Is it fodder?

Ah I see now. I'm still not familiar with all of this meta stuff about the professions. Though from what I'm seeing, thief is pretty balanced now isn't it? Virtually no cleave (unless you're DD but that loses DPS and has more mobility), incapable of support, low health with average armor, high mobility, active defenses like evading and stealth (but they require good timing), and great single target DPS.

Yeah, it need a little bit of tuning on it's dagger dps when coupled with deadeye but that all. If he had 35k potential dps instead of 38/39k dps on dagger he would be "balanced". A matter of 5% dps.

Certain builds are ok for what they are supposed to be, others need substantial buffs after getting hammered by A-Net over the course of the years for seemingly no reason. They should bring back the ricochet trait for pistols or build it into the weapon. The recent unload change for PvP / WvW should be reversed. The rifle needs more range (1500 base / 2000+ with kneel) the fact that a bow has more range than a sniper rifle is ridiculous, as of right now it feels more like I'm playing a crippled ranger than an actual sniper. Short bow needs a complete rework, most skills are so underperforming it's almost comical. If you want to use cluster bomb "efficiently" you have to jump into a group of enemies and explode it in your face, what a well thought out ranged AoE skill... They should remove the option to explode it in mid-air and make detonate cluster trigger immediately after the initial explosion.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Exactly.

To me it sounded like he was saying there was some kind of strange favoritism because someone of the overloads prefer those classes? I highly doubt that though.

Archived