PVE Daredevil: I love it!

Ging.6485

A lot of people are complaining right now that D/D Deadeye is too powerful because it's rotation is so simple. These people obviously don't understand the practical limitations of the D/D Deadeye despite that DPS. Regardless, if any nerfs are to come in the future, which they inevitably will, please confine them to D/D Deadeye (and make sure they don't spill over to Daredevil).

I really like where Daredevil is right now. The Daredevil rotation is extremely satisfying to practically use. It's DPS is competitive. It's not going to replace anything in raids because neither the DPS nor the utility provides that much of an advantage over long tested meta classes. Finally, it's extremely fun and rewarding to play in Fractals. It may lag a bit on certain boss encounters because of what the rotation entails, but it's extremely satisfying to use when solving certain puzzles and when dealing with trash packs. That said, it's not really OP because first of all it's a melee spec which requires you to take cleave damage and frequently drop unless you have a good healer, and secondly you will most likely be head to head with other power dps classes (unless they are considerably worse players). I think this is really the Daredevil sweet spot right here.

D/D Deadeye isn't really all that fun to play and Rifle Deadeye is kind of impossible to play outside the golem. Daredevil though... Daredevil right now is both useful and satisfying. Let's keep it that way.

I would argue "rotation complexity" is a horrible metric for fine balance (ie DPS bench marks), and its being misused to justify some ridiculous opinions about the state of the Meta. Unfortunately DPS has strong ties to APM, and the skill (as in skill slots) weighting of the classes are significantly different by design... which makes parity kind of impossible. But I blame raids pushing overly specialized comps as being the reason classes normally designed to have wide functionality are suffering.

Daredevil works because it has abnormally high sustained DPS, and isn't required to do other things. But when you look at the support builds, they're insanely overloaded- because Raid comp is trying to maximize total DPS, and Supports can't contribute that directly. Chrono tank is doing the job of 3 slots, and Druid is a cheap slot for the amount of damage buffs it brings. That pair alone frees up 3 slots for DPS or Fight specific counters.

I loved how a Daredevil looked in combat so much...I went and made one!

But seriously, it's a very fun spec, and feels more like a combat monk than a thief. My only gripe about it, specifically in fractals, is the amount of movement required for optimum DPS actually gets me into trouble. Accidentally leaping off the edge by the Shaman in Volcanic for example, or off the elevator in Deepstone =/

On my Guardian, I know when to avoid GS 3, and can use the rest of my rotation without much worry. But on my DD? If I'm not bouncing around, I'm doing less damage, and I find I sometimes bounce into trouble. Still, I'm going to keep practicing.

All that said, I really enjoyed leveling her as a D/D Thief, so I've been considering trying out the D/D DE spec.

I can only agree on DDs to be fun while being useful dpswise. They might not be the best DPSers, but only the fact that you have FIVE dodges makes him literally unkillable. That way its really consistent DPS. Other specs can deal far more damage if they connect the whole rotation, but how often is that even possible? For instance Amala - do you really think a Ele or a Engi can pull out their whole rotation while having to evade all the AOE? I dont think so. DDs are really fun and consistent and people should stop complaining about them. I know other classes are "better" but I appreciate a not dying party member a lot more than someone who can potentially pull out higher dps but who also dies a lot.

I have to revise one thing though : D/D Deadeye does need a nerf.

As a disclaimer I don't "main" anything. It's easier to list the classes I don't play (which is any incarnation of Ranger and Revanant btw). After testing out D/D Deadeye in fractals, I can attest that when you have proper support, the class far out DPSes any competitors. So the benchmark for D/D Deadeye is 38.5k. I'd say on average it's easy to get at least 37.5k without being completely optimal. If you were to reduce that by ~5% that would be about 35,600. That's still more than enough DPS for the class. That can easily be achieved in 2 ways

1. remove the 5% dagger damage from Dagger Training
  2. Reduce the Power/Precision contribution from Be Quick or Be Killed.

I do believe that D/D Deadeye still needs to be #1 on single DPS. It's just not healthy if it's that far ahead.

@"Ging.6485" said:I have to revise one thing though : D/D Deadeye does need a nerf.

As a disclaimer I don't "main" anything. It's easier to list the classes I don't play (which is any incarnation of Ranger and Revanant btw). After testing out D/D Deadeye in fractals, I can attest that when you have proper support, the class far out DPSes any competitors. So the benchmark for D/D Deadeye is 38.5k. I'd say on average it's easy to get at least 37.5k without being completely optimal. If you were to reduce that by ~5% that would be about 35,600. That's still more than enough DPS for the class. That can easily be achieved in 2 ways

1. remove the 5% dagger damage from Dagger Training
  2. Reduce the Power/Precision contribution from Be Quick or Be Killed.

I do believe that D/D Deadeye still needs to be #1 on single DPS. It's just not healthy if it's that far ahead.

Everyone complained, there you have it - D/D was nerfed and Core Thief too... They did not touch Deadeye but core Thief itself. Great job. Now you can still play rifle and do almost the same amount of dmg but every Core build with D/D got hit very hard... Ty all for complaining so I can trhow away my custom fun builds (non-meta build) which are dps wise really not good anymore.Daredevil is the way to go I guess....

@Daccura.4769 said:

Everyone complained, there you have it - D/D was nerfed and Core Thief too... They did not touch Deadeye but core Thief itself. Great job. Now you can still play rifle and do almost the same amount of dmg but every Core build with D/D got hit very hard... Ty all for complaining so I can trhow away my custom fun builds (non-meta build) which are dps wise really not good anymore.Daredevil is the way to go I guess....

Dagger auto got nerfed in PVE. Hardly anything to cry about. It needed to be nerfed. If you have a custom build that relies on dagger auto, then you might as well be doing Deadeye. Slashing with a dagger isn't going to be any more fun in one spec than it is another.

@Ging.6485 said:Dagger auto got nerfed in PVE. Hardly anything to cry about. It needed to be nerfed. If you have a custom build that relies on dagger auto, then you might as well be doing Deadeye. Slashing with a dagger isn't going to be any more fun in one spec than it is another.

It really didnt need to be nerfed only thing is that if Anet would ahve nerfed DE they would have nerfed also Rifle and they dont want to do that so they simply took the trait All De have if they want to perform well which is DA and they nerfed that one. Not caring that every other not De playing build uses that as well to perform well. Nerfind daggers was really bad move for us and i dont think it will help anything but whatever

Aye tis great fun. My wife and I played it for ages. Wife still does, as her main. Tho she plays a human - I prefer DD on an Asura. Those little dudes have some lovely, full-body animations for dodging and moving. Really communicates a sense of dynamic movement.

For me, the true art is Deadeye, with a rifle, seeing how big a DJ I can get while still romping around in PvP. All I need is a Pith helmet and a /tea emote and I'd be golden.

Quiet now, I spy a Warrior. No.. yes.. no, it hasn't caught our scent. Let the hunt begin!

Archived