QoL Improvement Requests

Here are some simple Quality of Life changes that I would like to see.If some are already in-game, and I'm just missing them, please let me know :-)

Ps. I tend to play with the camera zoomed out so I can keep a sense of awareness of my surroundings. This comes into play for several of these suggestions, so keep that in mind. While these changes are not necessary, they would assist players like me.

MOUNTS

• Autorun:If my character is already autorunning when I mount, then the mount continues to autorun. However, if I'm already mounted, when I hit the autorun key, nothing happens.

USER INTERFACE

• Color-coded Weapon Skills:Some weapon skill icons are similar to others, and having the same color scheme on both weapon sets can make it difficult to tell which weapon set is currently equipped... especially when you cannot visibly distinguish what weapons you are carrying (personally, I offset this by wearing Shadow Abyss-dyed armor while using Chaos-skinned weapons). But I noticed my Deadeye's Rifle weapon skills have a bright red background, while all other Thief weapon skills are grey. So if all weapon skill icons could be colored depending on which set it was (i.e. Set A: red, Set B: blue), then there would no longer be any difficulty to distinguish between what weapon was equipped.

• Numeric Countdown on Boons/Conditions/Effects:The option to have numeric countdowns for weapon/utility skills is wonderful! Unfortunately, buffs/conditions/effects don't have the same ability. I know the icons are smaller (enlarging them would be one option), but even smaller numbers would be better than none. While there is a blinking effect under 5 seconds, I have absolutely no clue how long anything lasts past 5 seconds without putting my cursor over it. Boons/Conditions do have the border countdown, but one still has to estimate the time remaining. And effects such as Stealth have no visible countdown at a glance. As a Thief, I really would like to know how much Stealth I have left without having to focus on my mouse cursor.

• Skill-specific Targeting:As you can enable/disable (I believe it's Ctrl + Mouse 2) a specific weapon skill to automatically activate whenever possible (such as autoattack), I would like to be able to set individual ground-targeting skills to use specific methods of targeting (self/target/free). For example, if I have an opponent targeted, I may want Vault, Cluster Bomb, and Choking Gas to lock to my target, however, I may want Shadow Refuge to lock to myself while I'm roaming. But if I'm in a team fight, I may want my Shadow Refuge targeting to be free while retaining the target-lock for Vault/Cluster Bomb/Choking Gas. I don't believe I have such capability to do so now with the current options. But with another hotkey (such as Shift + Ctrl + Mouse 2), I would be able to do so.

• Lockable/Ignorable UI:This is the true motivation for making a QoL request list. I cannot count the number of times I've been locked down in a fight, or trying to chase an enemy, throwing my cursor to the top of my screen and tapping my key for Shadowstep (I have it set to lock range to maximum range)... only to have the cursor hit the target info UI and either do nothing or, worse, shadowstepping exactly where I already am, wasting a cooldown for nothing. It happens for every ground-targeting skill, of course. Having so many UI elements is great for the info, but it becomes a hassle in the thick of battle. It would be very nice to have the ability to "lock" the UI as a whole (or even individual elements) to ignore the cursor... at least when a skill is being used or even in combat as a whole. If I'm fighting someone, I don't need to whisper or block them at that moment. And if I do, I can click an extra key like Shift in order to interact with that UI element.

NAMEPLATES

• Truly Simple WvW Nameplates:I love the simple colored triangles/circles in WvW instead of the huge name tags. However, I would like to be able to turn off guild tags also. Adding a square to be able to identify teams even easier would be nice (it may also assist those who are color blind).

• PvP Simple Nameplates:Yes, just allow the WvW options in PvP :-)

• Profession Icons In Nameplates:Instead circle/triangle/square icons over a player's head, have the option to replace those shapes with the profession's icon. This would make it much, much easier to identify and keep up with who is where in the heat of battle. The information is already available through targeting, so it shouldn't be exploiting anything.

• Elite Icons In PvP:They are in WvW, why not PvP?

• Equipped Weapon Icons:Once again, when playing zoomed out, it can be difficult to visually distinguish what weapons an opponent has equipped. If the target UI element also had simple weapons icons (or even icons in the nameplate) for which weapon(s) the target currently had equipped, this would be helpful.

The above were general QoL improvements. But since I play Thief, I'll just add this here...

DEADEYE

• Stationary Dodge While Kneeling:A lot of the Deadeye's playstyle comes from positioning, especially on high ground. The problem is that Death's Judgement requires Stealth. Silent Scope makes that easy to access, however, it also requires repositioning through a dodge roll. If a Deadeye is using a ledge or cliff to fire from, the dodge roll will take him completely out of position. So the only way for Silent Scope to be useful in that situation is to dodge roll before getting into position, then try to rush into the proper position before Stealth runs out... and that won't even work on small/thin platforms. It problem is further complicated because it only takes a small error in positioning for the ledge/cliff terrain to obstruct projectiles. So if the Deadeye could gain a default stationary dodge/evade specifically whenever kneeling and NO DIRECTION KEY IS PRESSED, then it would be able to get into the optimal position, gain Stealth/evasion through Silent Scope, and be able to fire without trouble.

Thank you! :-D

Archived