Superiority complex in condi mesmer builds

Etzlo.9306

So, I have recently started playing mesmer, mirage to be precise, and every meta build I see (snowcrows, meta battle, qtfy, whatever) takes superiority complex, does mirage just have that much alpha strike damage or am I missing something? because afaik critical strikes got no benefit for conditions

The Condi clone build that raiders use doesn't shatter (else it's a dps loss till you get your clones back) much which makes Ineptitude irrelevant making it only proc on The Prestige, Deceptive Evasion doesn't help much at all since you'll always have 3 clones up thus Superiority Complex is choses simply because there's not a relevant condition grandmaster in Dueling. Condi builds still crit and have power damage so it still benefits even though less effectively.

Hint, Superiority Complex is THAT good. Critical damage from trait is multiplicative to damage unlike nearly everything that is additive to damage in the game. Unless you have near 0 critical chance, this is likely your #1 damage boost as a Mesmer and almost beats every other damage trait on any class (if target under 50% health or target is CC'd, it is the best).

@Artaz.3819 said:Hint, Superiority Complex is THAT good. Critical damage from trait is multiplicative to damage unlike nearly everything that is additive to damage in the game. Unless you have near 0 critical chance, this is likely your #1 damage boost as a Mesmer and almost beats every other damage trait on any class (if target under 50% health or target is CC'd, it is the best).

What are you talking about?

Firstly, nearly every single damage modifier in this game is multiplicative. In the past, even something like compounding power was multiplicative for each 3% per active illusion. Only some inherently-stacking boosts are additive, and even then they're only additive internally. All damage modifiers are multiplicative.

Secondly, the point of this thread is that the trait is taken in condition damage builds, and conditions gain no direct benefit from critical damage. While superiority complex is strong, it is not overwhelmingly strong in a condition build as you mistakenly imply. If there were a relevant condition damage trait in the dueling grandmaster slot, it would likely be better than superiority complex. Since superiority complex is the only relevant trait in that location, it is picked by default.

What Pyro said.

The damage contribution of power in a condi mirage build is quite small with or without superiority complex. So unless you're in a max-DPS scenario (i.e. raiding), it's really not a very important trait and is only taken for lack of a better pure damage option.

For open world play, you're better off taking Deceptive Evasion for clone generation because you actually will use shatters. Builds that take illusions gain significant condition application via shatters and builds that take chaos gain important boons (stability, might, vigor) from shattering as well as the obvious benefits to area burst against groups of normal units frequently encountered in open world play.

• 3 weeks later...

@Pyroatheist.9031 said:

@Artaz.3819 said:Hint, Superiority Complex is THAT good. Critical damage from trait is multiplicative to damage unlike nearly everything that is additive to damage in the game. Unless you have near 0 critical chance, this is likely your #1 damage boost as a Mesmer and
almost
beats every other damage trait on any class (if target under 50% health or target is CC'd, it is the best).

Firstly, nearly every single damage modifier in this game is multiplicative. In the past, even something like compounding power was multiplicative for each 3% per active illusion. Only some inherently-stacking boosts are additive, and even then they're only additive internally. All damage modifiers are multiplicative.

Secondly, the point of this thread is that the trait is taken in condition damage builds, and conditions gain no direct benefit from critical damage. While superiority complex is strong, it is not overwhelmingly strong in a condition build as you mistakenly imply. If there were a relevant condition damage trait in the dueling grandmaster slot, it would likely be better than superiority complex. Since superiority complex is the only relevant trait in that location, it is picked by default.

crit means bleeding in that build ....

@PierPiero.9142 said:

@Artaz.3819 said:Hint, Superiority Complex is THAT good. Critical damage from trait is multiplicative to damage unlike nearly everything that is additive to damage in the game. Unless you have near 0 critical chance, this is likely your #1 damage boost as a Mesmer and
almost
beats every other damage trait on any class (if target under 50% health or target is CC'd, it is the best).

crit means bleeding in that build ....

and superiority complex buffs crit damage not the bleeding?

I think that trait is taken because at the raid build of clone mirage around 10% of the DPS comes from power damage, rest is condi, so in the normal non-shater condi mirage build its around 3-4% DPS loss to not take that trait. And even tho 3-4% doesnt seem that big, raid builds are all around min-max so yeah... And also its taken because there is nothing useful besides that.For example of using other trait options confusion shater build uses Ineptitude, because of the confusion on blind

I think if i assumed viper gear and 1.5 crit multiplier then my direct damage hits do around 62% of full power builds direct damage, or reversed power builds do 61.5% more in comparison i think it was. And nope those numbers are actually not because math failure. 100/161.5 = 0.619. That's assuming i can expect the numbers on from gw2skills calc thing to be accurate enough.

You pick whatever trait gives the more benefit. For example, power chrono takes Maim the Disillusioned, a condi trait, because it's the only trait in its tier that provides any damage increase. Escape Artist does nothing relevant, and while Phantasmal Haste is nice for solo builds, you should be getting perma quickness from your support in group content and quickness on phantasms is a QoL improvement, not a dps increase.

Archived