Why this completely unfair and unnecesary nerf?

FrostyWaffle.4360

@FrostyWaffle.4360 said:I don't understand why you nerfed this class, it's insanely hard ( this is based on many factors which I'm not going to get in to ) and many groups rely on that dps, you know what ok I give up, I still don't understand the point of this nerf.

Please someone explain to me why?

Because if you were a semi-decent player, the effort/pay-off ratio of this class was horribly broken.

I as a non-ele main (mained ele until 4 years ago, but that should not count) could just hop on the class and get 30% more out of it, than I was able to get with the 2nd best dps option (engineer, which was my main) on which I have thousands of hours experience.

It was so broken that I felt bad when I joined an lfg with my main class (on which I min-maxed everything I possibly could) just because I knew that my non min-maxed elementalist would get me a better result.

And even now, in the hands of a dedicated elementalist player, ele still remains really strong.

The fact that - even after this patch - nothing can rival elementalist for fractals should really make you question its previous state...

Standing and being top DPS in a golem is one thing, trying to solo stuff in story scenarios with sometimes unavoidable damage that causes you to die in one hit is another. The ‘high risk, high reward’ concept doesn’t feel like it plays out as well here anymore.

@zaekeon.5128 said:Standing and being top DPS in a golem is one thing, trying to solo stuff in story scenarios with sometimes unavoidable damage that causes you to die in one hit is another. The ‘high risk, high reward’ concept doesn’t feel like it plays out as well here anymore.

Can't play ele, don't play Ele... If you're playing staff, which is fairly static and ground target based vs bosses in story mode, with glass cannon build, then maybe make better choices?Easy as that, ele is top dps not just on the golem, but on bosses, with a team backing it. Of course that team-based damage doesn't translate as well to solo play, but then don't use the team-based build.

Ele has been the undisputed top dps since launch, and it still is, just that now it doesn't have a 10k DPS lead on the second best. They front-loaded the meteor (and similar skills), i don't get the lava fountain much, but i guess they felt that Ele was doing too much damage on staff overall.

Honestly, out of all the classes in the game, Elementalist is the one that should complain the least about nerfs. I mean, ele is, and was the top dps. And then you look at stuff like Necros that can barely be up to scratch. Because the same people complaining they die with glass cannon ele vs a story boss, complained they couldn't dodge out of the shades...

And if you stack a bunch of defensive gear to survive then you are doing as much or less damage as other classes...and the other classes running full berserkers are still more tanky. I’m not sure that the translation of solo to team play between classes is quite balanced...that’s my only point.

@zaekeon.5128 said:And if you stack a bunch of defensive gear to survive then you are doing as much or less damage as other classes...and the other classes running full berserkers are still more tanky. I’m not sure that the translation of solo to team play between classes is quite balanced...that’s my only point.

And that point is correct. IT's also worth noting that if you look around, there isn't lots of performance balance between classes and builds to begin with, so the point you make is really that what you are seeing here is just par for course. The status quo in this game isn't that there are a huge number of viable and equivalent performing builds between all the classes because frankly, it's not what Anet intended this game to ever deliver to the market.

Was this change completely unfair and unnecessary? That doesn't even feel like a relevant question after playing this game and seeing the changes Anet makes to it for 6 years.

I have not unlocked weaver yet but since playing this game ages ago if its anything I learned especially with my history in mmorpgs is other classes always come in and defend the nerf of another class or blindly cheer things on, honestly I have yet to see evidence that the nerf was needed exactly the way it is. But its still new I guess we will see more results soon aye? Reddit always posts new tests.

I thought the Lava Font nerf was harsh, but it's really not so bad in WvW/PvE because the cd was lowered as well (as far as I understand PvP already had the 6s cd so it was strictly nerfed there). Instead of 140% damage every 8s we now have 100% damage every 6s. It's not that big of a difference - less damage and more casting required but we do get more frequent fire fields?

Archived