Seeing who thumbed someone down may not be so wise

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless getting multiple posts thumbs-downed actually means some sort of negative effect on your account or something I don't really see a problem. Worst they can do is... what, stalk you and thumbs down all your posts? The horror.

Then again, it showing doesn't seem useful either, so I don't see any harm in removing it either.

My first thought was exactly that - I'm not sure if I like that everyone can see how I reacted to posts.

Then I realised it's likely most people will feel that way and that on it's own may serve to regulate the system - instead of anonymously downvoting anyone you disagree with (or upvoting or whatever) you're making a statement to the whole community that you agree/disagree with this post. If you're not willing to stand by it you don't do it.

Even though it technically does not do anything actually harmful, I can see if some people may be kinda bothered if they look at their account stats and see 300 thumbs down lol.

IDK maybe remove the thumbs down stat tracker on our account page? Just a suggestion, either way I am sure some forum things will be adjusted in the near future.

@Tetchy.3756 said:Retribution... From rando's on an internet forum...Thanks for showing me that indeed, yes, I can see who voted me down.Yes, it's a thing. There's a reason you can't see this kind of things on reddit for example. Some people are vindictive enough to follow you through conversations to continously mark your opinion as "bad". Since you can see on another person's profile how many votes they have in each category, somebody who really wants to can destroy another's credibility this way.But as Davion (sorry, I have no idea if I can link account here) said, at least you can report them for it. Damage might already be done by that point, but it's a valid option.

A server community on World of Warcraft (an RP server) had a large guild who basically trolled the whole server forum, by linking specific threads, and posts in their personal Skype/Discord server, bombing dislikes on posts they disagreed with, and massively upvoted their own posts.

While up and downvotes doesn't necessarily mean anything, it surely gave the wrong impression to other players who didn't know about their antics and only looked at the downvotes. Players had difficulties recruiting new players to their guilds because the response they got was "your post was masisvely downvoted so I thought something was off with your guild."

Just because this other guild had a disagreement with the other guild, and proceed to bomb dislikes on every post they made, from any member.

@Ashamir.9574 said:

@Tetchy.3756 said:Retribution... From rando's on an internet forum...Thanks for showing me that indeed, yes, I can see who voted me down.Yes, it's a thing. There's a reason you can't see this kind of things on reddit for example. Some people are vindictive enough to follow you through conversations to continously mark your opinion as "bad". Since you can see on another person's profile how many votes they have in each category, somebody who really wants to can destroy another's credibility this way.But as Davion (sorry, I have no idea if I can link account here) said, at least you can report them for it. Damage might already be done by that point, but it's a valid option.

But on Reddit it actually does something. Because Reddit has an aggregate sorting system wherein higher rated posts get displayed first and it takes into account both upvotes and downvotes, at least if you sort by popular / hot and not "new" (and that's default for many subreddits). Here everything is just sorted by most recent, with the exception of the "best of" category at the top, and even that only counts positive feedback and not downvotes it seems.

I can't really see many people actually going into other peoples' profiles and viewing their vote counts just to decide whether they're credible or not.

@Electro.4173 said:But on Reddit it actually does something. Because Reddit has an aggregate sorting system wherein higher rated posts get displayed first and it takes into account both upvotes and downvotes, at least if you sort by popular / hot and not "new" (and that's default for many subreddits). Here everything is just sorted by most recent, with the exception of the "best of" category at the top, and even that only counts positive feedback and not downvotes it seems.

I can't really see many people actually going into other peoples' profiles and viewing their vote counts just to decide whether they're credible or not.

Thanks for the information. I haven't really gotten into the finer mechanics of this forum yet.If it only shows posts/topics by most recent then of course the down-voting will have almost no impact.

I don't feel the thumbs down should be deactivated, necessarily. Will some people troll? Of course. Some people are just dicks.

However, I think (if it's possible) to simply display only the count of ups and downs for us, while still retaining on the backend (for tracking) who did which action, would be a solid idea. It gives us a feel for how many agree or disagree with us, especially when it comes to actual suggestion discussions. But, this might not be possible. I don't know what setting options exist for the forum code.

If that's not possible, I'd like to see the icons be like a third of their current size. Hopefully that's at least possible.

I think keeping thumbs up and thumbs down is fine... I do believe that seeing who did what is a bad idea.. not to mention also, that it clutters up the post quite a bit. I can see this being a massive annoyance on developer posts where you will probably get a few hundred combined thumbs up and down.

Archived