Shaders - Does setting matter?

The only one I can think of right this moment is that the green/red/blue/yellow solid border around players, party members, squadmates, enemies, items, etc. when you select/target/highlight/hover on them is tied to the 'High' shader setting. If you use this as a visual reminder of who or what is currently your target, this will not be visible on the 'Low' shader setting.

This element has been requested many times to be separated from the shader setting entirely as many people like the appearance of a non-High shader setting (just as you do), but they rely on this visual cue. As it is tied to High shaders, in order to retain this functionality aspect of the game, they are forced to keep shaders set to 'High', which lessens their enjoyment of the aesthetic aspect of the game. :\

High shader quality updates the details on many surfaces, you can notice the difference by fast swapping between low and high while watching your character model and/or terrain. You will notice that at low the rocks on terrain aren't defined, they are just a texture, while at higher settings they get shadows and actual depth. Also, if your character is using shinny armor, at higher settings it becomes more realistic.

Basically at lower settings the game has a "painted" look with very few details on surfaces, while at higher settings the surfaces now have actual depth. The graphical difference between low and high is really huge. On low the game looks like older video games, on high it looks more modern.

@StinVec.3621I don't see a difference in the border between shader settings, it's the same on all three, maybe it's some other setting that changes that?

@"maddoctor.2738" said:High shader quality updates the details on many surfaces, you can notice the difference by fast swapping between low and high while watching your character model and/or terrain. You will notice that at low the rocks on terrain aren't defined, they are just a texture, while at higher settings they get shadows and actual depth. Also, if your character is using shinny armor, at higher settings it becomes more realistic.

Basically at lower settings the game has a "painted" look with very few details on surfaces, while at higher settings the surfaces now have actual depth. The graphical difference between low and high is really huge. On low the game looks like older video games, on high it looks more modern.

@"StinVec.3621"I don't see a difference in the border between shader settings, it's the same on all three, maybe it's some other setting that changes that?

You are absolutely correct. I was mistaken on the setting that the border was tied to.It is the "Postprocessing" setting that borders are linked with, not the "Shaders" setting.

Thank you for noting my error.

As this setting is not related to "Shaders", I cannot think of any functionality aspect of the game that is affected by the "Shaders" setting (such as ground target rings, damaging ground area visual effects from enemies, etc).

Archived