Problem with the Beetle mount remind me of the Revenant energy system

Knighthonor.4061

@narcx.3570 said:If the Beetle started off with full energy, there would be no reason to use any other mount... Like, not even the Skimmer across water.

Crowd: How Fast is Your Petey?Krypto: My Petey is soooo fast... at Full Throttle he BOUNCES across the Ocean, baby!!! :mrgreen:

Gotta sorta agree with you here, Narcx. With initial full energy, Petey would put at least a couple mounts in the unemployment line. :lol:

@narcx.3570 said:If the Beetle started off with full energy, there would be no reason to use any other mount... Like, not even the Skimmer across water.

So the beetle can climb mountains, use sand portals, cross huge stretches of water/quicksand/lava, and stop on a dime now? I think you're overestimating Petey's usefulness a bit. The beetle is only good at going fast over relatively flat ground, which realistically only puts the raptor out of a job, and even if the beetle did start at full endurance, the raptor would still be better at crossing short distances because of it's ability to maneuver precisely and stop almost instantly.

@Quarktastic.1027 said:So the beetle can climb mountains, use sand portals, cross huge stretches of water/quicksand/lava, and stop on a dime now? I think you're overestimating Petey's usefulness a bit. The beetle is only good at going fast over relatively flat ground, which realistically only puts the raptor out of a job, and even if the beetle did start at full endurance, the raptor would still be better at crossing short distances because of it's ability to maneuver precisely and stop almost instantly.

Apparently Anet didn't figure that out yet, the beetle feels unfinished compared to the other mounts, no thought has been invested into creating the mechanics for it.

each mount is proficient in 1 role and the beetle lacks the proficiency, yes you can move quickly through large instances but after your speed gets demolished by a damn tree for a few times, you understand that the raptor or griffon would replace it fairly easy, the beetle only needs a gas pedal like the raptor and it's fixed.

@Nopesarenotforme.5190 said:

@Quarktastic.1027 said:So the beetle can climb mountains, use sand portals, cross huge stretches of water/quicksand/lava, and stop on a dime now? I think you're overestimating Petey's usefulness a bit. The beetle is only good at going fast over relatively flat ground, which realistically only puts the raptor out of a job, and even if the beetle did start at full endurance, the raptor would still be better at crossing short distances because of it's ability to maneuver precisely and stop almost instantly.

Apparently Anet didn't figure that out yet, the beetle feels unfinished compared to the other mounts, no thought has been invested into creating the mechanics for it.

each mount is proficient in 1 role and the beetle lacks the proficiency, yes you can move quickly through large instances but after your speed gets demolished by a kitten tree for a few times, you understand that the raptor or griffon would replace it fairly easy, the beetle only needs a gas pedal like the raptor and it's fixed.

And then what becomes the point of the raptor? Beetle is a -situational- mount for fast travelling, nothing else.The designer explicitly stated he was given a task for keeping it from displacing any other mount. Which he have done fine. Dont try to use it as a main mount, its not meant to be one.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

each mount is proficient in 1 role and the beetle lacks the proficiency, yes you can move quickly through large instances but after your speed gets demolished by a kitten tree for a few times, you understand that the raptor or griffon would replace it fairly easy, the beetle only needs a gas pedal like the raptor and it's fixed.

And then what becomes the point of the raptor? Beetle is a -situational- mount for fast travelling, nothing else.The designer explicitly stated he was given a task for keeping it from displacing any other mount. Which he have done fine. Dont try to use it as a main mount, its not meant to be one.

It will not, the beetle can only traverse flat land, do you want me to use Petey only in Kourna?, I don't understand, the raptor can quickly jump over long pits and is a situational mount when you need to rush an objective, the bunny is for traversing vertical land, Skimmer for large bodies of water, Jackal for sand portals I guess.. and griffon for traversing large instances by air, so how exactly is Petey op?, I can't even get to maneuver him properly without getting stuck on a small rock in the way and not drifting into another rock, Petey is not flexible at all and extremely unsatisfying if you'd ask me.

It will not, the beetle can only traverse flat land, do you want me to use Petey only in Kourna?, I don't understand, the raptor can quickly jump over long pits and is a situational mount when you need to rush an objective, the bunny is for traversing vertical land, Skimmer for large bodies of water, Jackal for sand portals I guess.. and griffon for traversing large instances by air, so how exactly is Petey op?, I can't even get to maneuver him properly without getting stuck on a small rock in the way and not drifting into another rock, Petey is not flexible at all and extremely unsatisfying if you'd ask me.

Get better at controlling him. He is bad when there are a lot of stretches that go uphill, but crashing into smaller obstacles is the least of the beetle's problems. Jumping and learning how to steer it do the trick.

@Blocki.4931 said:

Get better at controlling him. He is bad when there are a lot of stretches that go uphill, but crashing into smaller obstacles is the least of the beetle's problems. Jumping and learning how to steer it do the trick.

I think giving him the raptors gas pedal mechanic will put him just at the right spot, somewhat like a real motorcycle, you don't just go all out... you control the speed of your bike.

I really wouldn't consider Griffin, Raptor, or Jackal to be situational mounts. Most players seem to settle on one of those three mounts and use nothing else while traveling unless a specific region calls for it, such as swapping to skimmer once you need to go over water. Otherwise, folks will use one of those three raptors pretty much everywhere they go as there really isn't anything about them that limits their utility anywhere else in the game outside of what they are good at.

As such, I think that while it may feel like beetle is unfinished it appears to live up to everything ANet set out to do, thus making it a completed mount. The fact that it doesn't do more has to be considered in regards to the goal of it's creation.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Considering devs work on more than one thing, no.

of course they do. which is why i was pointing out, and how the OP pointed out, is that the energy system can be problematic, and the beetle endurance mechanic can be problematic. just makes you wonder about the design philosophy that appears to be a common denominator.

And beetle have had major changes today.

Roller Beetle

Roll Out can now be used to break marked blockades and volatile crystals once players learn the Barrier Smash Mastery.The Barrier Smash Mastery will now recover endurance when the roller beetle collides with walls at high speed, in addition to its previous functionality.Drifting will now recover endurance.The beetle's endurance will now slowly decay after players dismount, rather than being immediately set to zero.Acceleration from the idle position has been increased.Deceleration when holding backward at high speed has been increased.Minimum uphill speed has been slightly increased.Fixed a client crash.

Personally, I think a new beetle mastery that when unlocked, allows you to start with, say, 30 percent of your endurance would be just right. This means a shorter wait time without making it too quick, but still tying it to the mastery system. Starting at full endurance I feel would be far too much. Though the recent changes are enough, honestly.

• 2 weeks later...

The beetle was annoying before the update because even if you dismounted for a moment to harvest something, when you re-mounted your endurance was back to zero. Now after the change, when you dismount your endurance depletes slowly. If you re-mount quickly, most of your endurance is still there. I'd love to see something similar for Revenant when you go out of combat. It is annoying when you are running between enemies and if you're out of combat for just a second, you instantly lose any energy you had that was over 50%. I'd like to see it act similar to the beetle's endurance, or to the warrior's adrenaline, where when you're out of combat the Revenant's energy would slowly deplete back to 50%.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:It is annoying when you are running between enemies and if you're out of combat for just a second, you instantly lose any energy you had that was over 50%.

If you're ending a fight with >50 energy, you could have ended the fight a lot faster by like, using some of it... Or you could use PT or Derpstrike to get to that next mob faster and keep/spend some of that banked energy.

This is also a balance thing... If rev energy functioned like you proposed in say, like, PvP or WvW, you could slow fight a guard or downed enemy for 100 energy and then run to the next fight and jump right in like like 80-90 banked energy to instantly annihilate somebody.

Archived