Bug: Glyph of the Scavenger Drop Rate nowhere near 33%

Hi guys,

I am noticing a significant difference between the drop rate of leather by the Glyph of the Leatherworker and the drop rate of fine mats by the Glyph of the Scavenger and I am wondering if this is some known bug or if others made the same experience.I have made a test run with enough samples to have a more evident result. I harvested 30 wood nodes with a Glyph of the Leatherworker and 32 platinum/iron/gold nodes with a Glyph of the Scavenger. The result was:

Wood: 92 Logs to 31 Leather Hides -> ~33%Ore: 117 Ore to 7 Fine Crafting Materials -> ~5%

I also wondered if maybe shards like Opal Shard count towards fine crafting materials and since they sometimes drop from ore nodes I should take them into account as well. In that case I would assume a result of around 40% (since shrads also drop by itself without the use of the Glyph of the Scavenger). So with taking shards into account as well the result of the Ores was:

Wood: 92 Logs to 31 Leather Hides -> ~33%Ore: 117 Ore to 19 Fine Crafting Materials and Shards -> ~16%

So even when taking them into account we are not close to the 33%. If we also take my home nodes and our guild nodes into account, which is a total of 43 harvests, we get an even more evident result:

Ore: 160 Ore to 12 Fine Crafting Materials -> ~ 7.5%

If the drop rate is not RNG on account basis then this result should be reproducable. :PImho as long as this is the issue I discourage the use of the Glyph of the Scavenger.

Best regards,Vega

EDIT: As I noticed the recent notification of Anet about closing the purchase of the Scavenger Harvesting Tools, this might already be a known issue? https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/48504/purchasing-of-scavenger-s-gathering-tools-temporarily-disabled

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct on assuming the glyph is bugged. https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/8zxdyl/either_im_crazy_or_scavenger_glyph_is_bugged_for/ In this post i added a fairly small sample size but enough to show how the rates are skewed.

Here is the link to the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13b_zOiaKlZ6nMGPHgSYX1IuzFNV5dc1wQn6e7IGpcQc/edit?usp=sharingHere you will also see that I had the same idea about orbs (nuggets in the sheet) but these seem to be pretty stable. I am planning on adding a page for leatherworker to see how often the tier's drop but im confident in saying Orb materials are not affected by scavenger glyphs.

Also havent done a good test on plant nodes but at this point im done gathering proof.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the drop rate is bugged. Made a few more test runs with the above amount of nodes (actually just cleared t4 maps) and the drop rates are always between 5 and 10% whereas the drop rate for leather keeps lying at around 33% as it should.I have also opened up a ticket at the support a month ago but sadly the ticket did not get any attention for now. This is pretty annoying as the glyph is totally useless with a drop rate of 5%. Literally every gathering tool will give more profit than the scavengers.

Luckily it fits well with the pricing bug which made the scavenger gathering tools unpurchasable, but at the moment one can just hope that the devs take care of this bug before reopening the selling of the gathering tools again. At least seeing that they acknowledge this bug as a known bug would be nice to see. :smile:

@Vegaaaa.7956 said:Yes, I'm pretty sure that the drop rate is bugged. Made a few more test runs with the above amount of nodes (actually just cleared t4 maps) and the drop rates are always between 5 and 10% whereas the drop rate for leather keeps lying at around 33% as it should.I have also opened up a ticket at the support a month ago but sadly the ticket did not get any attention for now. This is pretty annoying as the glyph is totally useless with a drop rate of 5%. Literally every gathering tool will give more profit than the scavengers.

Luckily it fits well with the pricing bug which made the scavenger gathering tools unpurchasable, but at the moment one can just hope that the devs take care of this bug before reopening the selling of the gathering tools again. At least seeing that they acknowledge this bug as a known bug would be nice to see. :smile:

They already re-enabled purchasing on July 24

• 4 weeks later...

I got the answer of the QA team that the drop rate is actually as expected.

"We have confirmed with QA that the drop rates for Glyph of the Scavenger are working properly; the chance of for bonus items occurs at the end of the node rather than with each swing. The wording in the tool-tip is a bit different than other Glyphs that work similarly. I hope that clears things up!"

The confusion lies in the wording of the glyphs. For e.g. Leatherworker it states "Grants a 33% chance to reward bonus leather scraps while gathering..." whereas Scavenger states "Grants a 33% chance to receive a bonus fine crafting material after gathering...". This means that while Glyphs like the Leatherworker do apply to each swing, the drop rate of the Glyph of the Scavenger only applies at the end of the node.

So:Leatherworker -> 33% per swingScavenger -> 33% per node.

I don't see why this is chosen this way because this decreases the worth of such glyphs hardly, but it is what it is...

Best regards,Vega

Archived