Did you like the collection for the Roller Beetle/Banner in the new LWS4 episode?

Recently I made a poll about adding collection-like quests to new maps/expansions. An idea I had was that it would keep the map alive and give players some things to speculate on, work together on, and feel rewarded when all was said and done. I was ecstatic to find this in the new map. Naturally I plowed through the content on the first day, obtaining the Roller Beetle when maps were extremely active. In some ways farming mobs while 10-50 players also ground out that same content was a bit frustrating, and other events like world bosses/anomaly they melted so quick it felt like a race against time to subsequently complete the collection and felt very rewarding when I made it.

The content felt very rewarding to someone (being a quester who loves story) whose first Skillcape in Runescape was a Quest cape. Different game I know, but same concept. I wasn't one of the lucky few who found out about griffin when PoF released, but I WAS one of the several hundred to make it into LWS4 E3 before the masses arrived. The feeling of having something that not many other people have, or an item that shows off a part of the game that makes people ask "where'd he get THAT" is trumped by few in the MMO lifestyle. I understand that not everyone likes this type of content albeit "quest" guides releasing on the first day (or close to it) from popular contributors in our community.

Feel free to vote and comment. I am very interested to see what everyone thinks.

On a side note: Would you consider this to be a Quest (of sorts)?

I liked them. I haven't really done any banner stuff yet, but the beetle was enjoyable. Besides the expected hiccups when hundreds of people tried to get them simultaneously. It took maybe 20 minutes total for me to get everything required. I got the Anomaly first try, it started right as I checked the waypoint lol

Edit: I liked finding the hidden caches and going back to core maps felt very nostalgic to me. "Oh, steam creatures so I have to go here!" was very cool, I wish a bit more new content like special events can be added over this. Is it asking for too much to get a separate instance for some of the very elaborate collections? The Griffon had some because it was this huge thing, but I hope we can see that for a few more long collections.

Options should really be yes or no here, not sure i get why you chose what you did. Ultimately they went very smoothly, but they were dull vs say the griffon or other collections. My answe is no for the beetle.

I hwvent done the banner one since ill tick that off on alts as I go along naturally over the months or years.

Would i like to see more collections for this kind of content? Yes, but better designed and with decent ap rewards as well.

The collections were just fine, although the Inquest Cannon steps for the Gandaran Service Medal were a little opaque. If you don't know there are two completely separate events on those cannons (one to disable them before they fire, one to reprogram them for the meta), then you can easily end up thinking that the one for the medal is somehow linked to failing the meta's event.

But once the forum community pointed out the error of my ways, the rest went smoothly, aside from the incessant bickering in-game about whether people should let the Orrian temple defence events fail. As a result, I have Petey and I have the Dauntless backpiece. And my character changed her hairstyle because the old one clipped through the cloth part of the banner.

The beetle collection went pretty smooth for me in just over 3 hours of very casual gameplay.

I will admit, though, that I lucked out with the Legendary Ley line guy as I raced in and got what was possibly the very last hit on him, earning me the achievement.

EDIT: The same goes for the Champion Beetle (it was a Veteran when I encountered it), I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Very little waiting.

The beetle collection was smooth and easy to follow. I was actually surprised because I figured it'd be another Griffon mess.

The banner, I'll be frank, is confusing. It would have made more sense to have it be a progressing one, like completing one collection unlocked the next, instead of throwing all 3 at once at us. Like have you do the Gandaran service one first to unlock the Tyrian service, then the More than a Hero. When I talked to Camilla, I thought only one of those went to backpack as Tyrian Service Medal didn't list a component in the rewards to indicate it was needed. Overall, it wasn't indicated very well that she was giving you collections to complete the backpack if you didn't read all the text. Something I had to explain to a few friends once they got to the zone because they all asked 'what happened' when they speed clicked through her text.

I did the beetle collection as soon as the episode got out (well, after the launch problems had been fixed anyway) and it took me about two to three hours. All in all it was a quite enjoyable collection, not too long but not too short, quite relaxing and not too grindy. Of course, some of the requirements (alpha beetle, spider queen, killing worms and steam creatures) were horrible, but that's understandable since about 100 000 people were also doing them at the same time. I'm sure things have cooled off at this point.

The reason why I didn't pick the first poll option is because it mentions challenging, and this collection really wasn't challenging at all (which I liked alot, I generally hate collections). It was perfectly fine, and the reward was amazing. Beetle 4 lyf <3

Good thing the banner looks like utter garbage so that you don't feel tempted to suffer through it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of having a hot little fangirl for my Commander but the banner itself looks like a friggin' shower curtain - a gaudy and ugly one at that.

Not only was the collection for the beetle pretty easy, but it coincidentally made OTHER collections easier. It was nice to be able to hunt down a ley-line anomaly and kill it on the first try with a big zerg. Also, it was no trouble getting help with the Toxic Spider Queen when I needed it for HOPE.

We need more collections that make central Tyrian events more popular. ^^

The collections went smoothly for me, but having them back to back was annoying. They could have done it similar to how they let you ride Griffon while you were collecting the eggs. Something like popping us on the beetle after we get some of the items and then loosing if when we dismount or change maps.

@Blocki.4931 said:I mean, Fractal, PvP and WvW backpieces exist so I would imagine you had at least one of them :D

Well, I have 13 characters, all fully equipped with ascended gear, so I guess you see where my time and resources went. :p Don't like Fractals very much, stopped playing PvP due to its toxicity, and only play WvW on occasion for legendary weapons. ;)

I was pretty indifferent to the beetle and the collections. But I did them and they went smoothly. I neither liked nor disliked them particularly. I haven't really used the beetle to any great extent, other than just trying it out. I'm happy that others like it...something for everyone.

My only gripe is that the Roller Beetle Collections were presented one at a time. Meaning once I thought I had finished the collection and would be able to obtain the mount, I got another shoved in my face like "Psych!". If they were all presented to the player at once, like the Griffon collections were, it would have been a slightly more pleasant experience. The collections themselves were not bad at all.

Archived