Some Crafting QoL Suggestions.

Just wanted to throw out a few suggestions for crafting

-Ability to break down refined materials, so for example you can take a bolt of silk and break it down into 3 scraps of silk.

-Bulk refinement, the ability to Instantly refine 25/50/100 mats at once. So it doesn't have to be 1 at a time.

-Show crafting levels of each character on select screen.

-Show item descriptions for each recipe.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:gw2efficiency.com is one of the best sources for what you have, which characters have it in their inventory, and all crafting disciplines for what you have locked and unlocked.

I know. Actually just been on the recipes page of gw2efficiency. But that is exactly the reason why I am suggesting it. Because if it is on gw2efficiency, that means it has a reason to exist. It can as well be added to the game like the wardrobe.

@X T D.6458 said:Just wanted to throw out a few suggestions for crafting

-Ability to break down items like refined materials, so for example you can take a bolt of silk and break it down into 3 scraps of silk.

Why? There's nothing to do with unrefined materials but refine them. All recipes use refined materials.

-Bulk crafting, the ability to craft 25/50/100 items at once. Mostly for refining materials so it doesn't have to be 1 at a time.

Did you ever craft in your life before giving suggestions about it? I'm asking because you can do this since forever.

Again... Seriously are you just trolling here? Are you posting for the sake of posting? This is in the game since launch.

-Show item descriptions for each recipe.IDK what you mean by that, but you can preview the items already before crafting them. You can preview and link both the item and it's recipe.

Here's a suggestion for you:Before plainly showing your ignorance in the forums, try to learn how things work beforehand.

The biggest QoL change for crafting I'd like is just a change to how the categories are ordered. Now that I'm max level in everything and finished the vast majority of discovery, I find myself crafting a lot of the same things. If we could pick out certain recipes/categories as "Favorites" or even just always have refinement on top, I'd be happy. I spend 90% of my crafting time refining mats or doing legendary crafting. Scroling around or having to minimize all the other categories is tiresome.

-Ability to break down items like refined materials, so for example you can take a bolt of silk and break it down into 3 scraps of silk.That's not likely to happen, as refinement serves as a one-way sink of base materials. They want people to think twice before refining. At best, if ANet implemented this, the results would be fewer mats than initially, e.g. instead of three stacks of scraps from a stack of silk bolts, it would probably be 500-600 units.

-Bulk crafting, the ability to craft 25/50/100 items at once. Mostly for refining materials so it doesn't have to be 1 at a time.We can already craft up to stack at a time.

Did you mean "assembly line crafting", where a single button press will create e.g. 100 greatswords, without having to first produce the 100 dowels, 100 hilts, & 100 blades? That's also unlikely to happen: part of the reason some items have value is that crafting takes time & effort. In effect, when the TP price of something is higher than its material costs, it means some people are willing to pay others for their labor. Take away the labor and people won't be willing to pay more.

-Show crafting levels of each character on select screen.This seems the most likely of the proposals, although I suspect it's low priority since sites like GW2 Efficiency and GW2 Timer already provide the data.

-Show item descriptions for each recipe.What sort of description would you like that isn't shown via mouse-over? The left pane mouse-over shows the high-level ingredients and item description; the right pane shows just the item description (since the high level ingredients are directly displayed).

• A List of all recipes which can be viewed like the wardrobe, which can inform you what you are still missing.I'd love to see this. I suspect part of the problem is the UI. Both GW2 Efficiency & GW2 Timer have tools to show learned or missing recipes, but even those two fantastic sites don't have a good way to help you make a simple list, so that you can fill in the gaps.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

-Ability to break down items like refined materials, so for example you can take a bolt of silk and break it down into 3 scraps of silk.

Why? There's nothing to do with unrefined materials but refine them. All recipes use refined materials.

-Bulk crafting, the ability to craft 25/50/100 items at once. Mostly for refining materials so it doesn't have to be 1 at a time.

Did you ever craft in your life before giving suggestions about it? I'm asking because you can do this since forever.

Again... Seriously are you just trolling here? Are you posting for the sake of posting? This is in the game since launch.

-Show item descriptions for each recipe.IDK what you mean by that, but you can preview the items already before crafting them. You can preview and link both the item and it's recipe.

Here's a suggestion for you:Before plainly showing your ignorance in the forums, try to learn how things work beforehand.

There are multiple uses for many raw mats. For example, someone could un-refine some iron ingots and use the iron ore to make steel ingots or to promote them to gold ore. There are also various crafting and MF recipes that use raw mats. There are 15 different things you can do with iron ore. I'm not saying we should have this ability but you're comment on the matter is wrong.

Are you sure OP didn't mean to be able to instantly craft 25/50/100 rather than have to wait however long it takes to automatically craft the quantity you specify one by one? That's how I took it.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

-Ability to break down items like refined materials, so for example you can take a bolt of silk and break it down into 3 scraps of silk.That's not likely to happen, as refinement serves as a one-way sink of base materials. They want people to think twice before refining. At best, if ANet implemented this, the results would be fewer mats than initially, e.g. instead of three stacks of scraps from a stack of silk bolts, it would probably be 500-600 units.

There are some situations where you might need unrefined mats and this could be a useful feature to have.

-Bulk crafting, the ability to craft 25/50/100 items at once. Mostly for refining materials so it doesn't have to be 1 at a time.We can already craft up to stack at a time.

Did you mean "assembly line crafting", where a single button press will create e.g. 100 greatswords, without having to first produce the 100 dowels, 100 hilts, & 100 blades? That's also unlikely to happen: part of the reason some items have value is that crafting takes time & effort. In effect, when the TP price of something is higher than its material costs, it means some people are willing to pay others for their labor. Take away the labor and people won't be willing to pay more.

Basically let you refine up to 25/50/100 items at ONCE, instead of watching it go one by one. This would only be for refining mats.

-Show crafting levels of each character on select screen.This seems the most likely of the proposals, although I suspect it's low priority since sites like GW2 Efficiency and GW2 Timer already provide the data.

The character select screen shows what crafting discipline your character has but not the levels. It would be a small and convenient qol addition.

-Show item descriptions for each recipe.What sort of description would you like that isn't shown via mouse-over? The left pane mouse-over shows the high-level ingredients
and
item description; the right pane shows just the item description (since the high level ingredients are directly displayed).

This is mainly a problem with recipes on the TP and those that are sold from vendors, mostly with consumable items. They don't show the actual description of the item, just the name.

@Bollocks.4078 said:

There are multiple uses for many raw mats. For example, someone could un-refine some iron ingots and use the iron ore to make steel ingots or to promote them to gold ore. There are also various crafting and MF recipes that use raw mats. There are 15 different things you can do with iron ore. I'm not saying we should have this ability but you're comment on the matter is wrong.

Are you sure OP didn't mean to be able to instantly craft 25/50/100 rather than have to wait however long it takes to automatically craft the quantity you specify one by one? That's how I took it.

There are also guild upgrades that require unrefined mats, thats actually why I suggested this because of Iron ore haha. I was putting in materials to approve an upgrade and had refined almost all of my Iron the day before lol. I also remember having a similar issue with Cured Hardened Leather when making the Gift of Weather. I had to ask a friend to exchange unrefined leather for my refined leather. Would have been nice in both situations to be able to break down the refined versions.

I did mean instantly craft 25/50/100 when refining only. This way you don't have to watch it go one by one.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

The show item on recipe means before you learn the recipe.

@Dreadshow.9320 said:

You mean on traders?

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

You mean on traders?

I guess

@"Decado.9304" said:I'd be happy with a Queue list, doesn't bother me too much crafting the items 1 by 1 but id rather be able to select half a dozen batches to craft and then set it off to do them all

Oh man, I'd love that. Right now, you can go to other recipes while you're grafting one thing, but you can't do anything so you have to wait, just looking at what you wish you were crafting this instant. Even something like the assembly queue in the guild might be OK. I could maybe see it making crafting too "easy", or maybe too painless. Most people would probably just queue up 10 things and go grab a snack.

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:

@"Decado.9304" said:I'd be happy with a Queue list, doesn't bother me too much crafting the items 1 by 1 but id rather be able to select half a dozen batches to craft and then set it off to do them all

Oh man, I'd love that. Right now, you can go to other recipes while you're grafting one thing, but you can't do anything so you have to wait, just looking at what you wish you were crafting this instant. Even something like the assembly queue in the guild might be OK. I could maybe see it making crafting too "easy", or maybe too painless. Most people would probably just queue up 10 things and go grab a snack.

You can sort of do that now, but you still have to craft each item...it does let you open multiple crafting panes of subitems, and honestly, it doesn't take that long to craft multiples of anything.

This isn't ESO, and people use crafting to level up characters, which is why you don't have the option to perform in bulk.

Archived