Skills in /v2/skills/ different to ingame

Artenuvielle.6025

I noticed that the ID of skills used ingame can differ from the ID there a skill lies in the /v2/skills/ API. The ingame id can internally only read from memory but you can see the logger of ARCDPS or its created evtc files. I noticed the difference for the Scourge skill Desert Shroud, but it is quite possible that multiple skills differ.

Example:7CsF3An.jpggiven: https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/skills/46726actual: https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/skills/44663

Could we maybe get an update to the /v2/skills/ endpoint?

I do wonder if that is allowed, because the User Agreement states:

1. PROHIBITED AND IRREPARABLY HARMFUL ACTIVITIES CONCERNING ArenaNetYou acknowledge that You may not, without signed written consent from a legally authorized representative of ArenaNet, do any of the following:(i) Use, obtain or provide data related to operation of the Game, including but not limited to:(ii) software that reads areas of computer memory or storage devices related to the Game;

I have a feeling that this might happen to all skills that have "subskills". And with that I mean skills that have pulsing abilities (and maybe more).The actual skill that's listed on your bar is 44663, but the pulsing skill that actually does damage might be 46726 instead.

@"Archomeda.6472" said:I have a feeling that this might happen to all skills that have "subskills". And with that I mean skills that have pulsing abilities (and maybe more).The actual skill that's listed on your bar is 44663, but the pulsing skill that actually does damage might be 46726 instead.

Yeah, you could be right with the "subskill" idea. however this does not apply to all pulsating skills. I tested scourge's Ghastly Breach and it worked correctly.

• ArenaNet Staff

The skill with ID 44663 triggers the skill with ID 46726 with a script. ARCDPS is reporting this correctly. The issue is that because it's from a script, the API has a hard time programmatically determining that the skill should be listed publicly.

@"Archomeda.6472" said:Hmm. That's interesting. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that it's different. From what I can tell through the API etc, the entire Guild Wars 2 backend that handles skills is complex.

You're correct, the skill system is complex and was designed around being used in a real-time game. What skills are shown and what they do when a player activates them is dependent on the current state of the running game (e.g. buffs, attunement, traits, script execution, etc). Because of this, the API has to make assumptions about how that data should be represented without a game running.

I think a fix for this is two-fold:

1. The API should look through the scripts of already-publicly-listed skills to find skill execution then publicly list those skills. It would have to be very careful to exclude skills that are not meant to be listed.
  2. The API should link found-in-script skills in the parent skill. See this github issue for a similar idea: https://github.com/arenanet/api-cdi/issues/620

That said, this would not be an easy fix and I'm not even sure it could be done reliably, so no promises on if or when this fix would be made.

This sounds like a good approach so far. Thank you for the information about the background of the skill system.

To be honest my personally interested is mostly in the URLs for the rendering files API. Have you thought about providing them in a different way. And maybe also adding a list of buff/debuff files on the way? I feel like it is quite awkward to scan though the whole skills API list and looking for facts of type buff.

That would be awesome.

Archived