First Experience With Ranked

otto.5684

I have been playing the game for a while, and I was tired and bored yesterday, so I decided to go through all the 10 placement games. I did play 3-4 placement games in 2 seasons before, but due to sucky match making, I got demotivated.

First 3 games I played were pretty competitive, which encouraged me to keep going. It went downhill from there. In fact, most rated games I play are far more difficult. I think out of the 10 games I played only the first 3 were somewhat competitive. Also, there is an army of necros and guardians. Every game I played (except 1 I think) had 1-2 necros per team. This is far more than I see in rated. One game our team had 3 guardians (including me). And for some reason, the necros I see think they are playing a thief, jumping all over the map. I was like, dude what are you doing?! I barely saw engi and warriors, even though they over flood rated.

I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of games. I thought that ranked will have stronger games. I guess there is less variability in ranked compared to rated. And since I have no experience history, the match making may have put me as bronze player in placement games.

I am confused about how the pips work. I gained pips in every single game I played, even the loses. I am also unsure how the game measures your performance. Does top stats make a difference? If I am not mistaken, you get 1 pip for each top stats. Are there other factors that make a difference? I would say about 4 out 10 games I played, my performance was irrelevant. 2 were predetermined wins and 2 predetermined loses. 2-3 games I carried the team. The rest were more of a team effort. I ended-up with 7 wins and 3 loses.

I though that after placement games, since I had decent performance, that I could skip bronze and start at silver, then I have to farm all season to get to platinum (if even possible). After 10 placement games, I was at 1526 rating... lol?!

I guess it should get much more difficult from here, since the match making system should put me against equal or close skill players (I hope).

I think you're overthinking it. It's more rng than anything. Also, there are a lot of people just farming ranked, along with a lot of afkers and rage quitters, so your own performance doesn't make as much of a difference as it would if everyone were playing competitively and to their best abilities.

I wish you would get 1 extra pip for each top stat lol ... would have finished all chests in no time :D ... also there is no matchmaking what so ever, so do not bother to try and understand the logic behind "competetive" matches, since those are almost non existent .. 99% of the time it is blow out on one of the sides.

Base starting ranked MMR is 1200. Going 7-3 with no prior match history puts you in a good position to play in high gold/low platinum games.

Lots of people think new players start bronze. With the starting MMR and RNG the truth is that Bronze and Silver are those who fall in rank. But it takes a while for MMR to settle. Lots of people will not play enough games when they are falling in rank.

All you can do is play to make yourself better and ride out the waves (random loss streaks, etc).

@otto.5684 said:I have been playing the game for a while, and I was tired and bored yesterday, so I decided to go through all the 10 placement games. I did play 3-4 placement games in 2 seasons before, but due to sucky match making, I got demotivated.

First 3 games I played were pretty competitive, which encouraged me to keep going. It went downhill from there. In fact, most rated games I play are far more difficult. I think out of the 10 games I played only the first 3 were somewhat competitive. Also, there is an army of necros and guardians. Every game I played (except 1 I think) had 1-2 necros per team. This is far more than I see in rated. One game our team had 3 guardians (including me). And for some reason, the necros I see think they are playing a thief, jumping all over the map. I was like, dude what are you doing?! I barely saw engi and warriors, even though they over flood rated.

I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of games. I thought that ranked will have stronger games. I guess there is less variability in ranked compared to rated. And since I have no experience history, the match making may have put me as bronze player in placement games.

I am confused about how the pips work. I gained pips in every single game I played, even the loses. I am also unsure how the game measures your performance. Does top stats make a difference? If I am not mistaken, you get 1 pip for each top stats. Are there other factors that make a difference? I would say about 4 out 10 games I played, my performance was irrelevant. 2 were predetermined wins and 2 predetermined loses. 2-3 games I carried the team. The rest were more of a team effort. I ended-up with 7 wins and 3 loses.

I though that after placement games, since I had decent performance, that I could skip bronze and start at silver, then I have to farm all season to get to platinum (if even possible). After 10 placement games, I was at 1526 rating... lol?!

I guess it should get much more difficult from here, since the match making system should put me against equal or close skill players (I hope).

Alright, so 1st thing you need to understand is you won't start off the bat with quality matches. They first put you in team with the funny farm people. And if you play like them, you get to stay there until you (a) lose your mind or (b) improve.

Archived