Domain of Kourna Mithril Nodes - No Crystals

Noticed last night that the Mithril Nodes in the Domain of Kourna seem to be bugged and do not appear to be giving crystals when mining. In other maps, the chance seems to be about 10% to get a crystal on each swing. I got 0 crystals from 135 swings on 45 regular mithril ore nodes. Probability of this is so low it is unlikely to be just bad RNG. I found one rich mithril vein and that did give one crystal from the 10 swings. Was using volatile and unbound picks. Can anyone confirm getting a crystal from non-rich Kourna mithril nodes?

Istan, LS3 and core maps worked fine. Sandswept may also be bugged, had a 0 crystal from 39swings streak there too, but not as many gathers as in Kourna, so the jury's still out.
Edit: Just did some more in Sandswept and am still 0 for ~100. Seems Kourna and Sandswept mithril nodes are bugged. I'm actually getting suspicious of all of the PoF maps except Istan, still on an improbable 0-fer streak across multiple maps.

~~I can't confirm your results. ~~

I did two (brief) experiments:

• Using the Watchworking Mining Pick with the Gift of Volatility, I got volatile magic on each swing.
  • Switching to the Volatile Pick, with the Gift of Volatility, I got volatile magic on each swing.
  • Is it possible you hit some sort of cap of which we were previously unaware?
  • Could it be a bug with a particular skin rather than the gift?
  • Or perhaps you are using the karma-bought tools? (I didn't test for those.)

~~Or did I misunderstand what you meant by "crystal" above. ~~(turns out: I did misunderstand, something fierce)

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I can't confirm your results.

• Using the Watchworking Mining Pick with the Gift of Volatility, I got volatile magic on each swing.
  • Switching to the Volatile Pick, with the Gift of Volatility, I got volatile magic on each swing.

Or did I misunderstand what you meant by "crystal" above.

By crystal I mean the jewelcrafting materials, the ruby, emerald, sapphire, opal, etc. crystals that you occasionally get from mithril nodes. Similar orbs from orichalcum nodes are dropping fine.

I doubt it was a cap, I almost never gather mithril but did so last night on a whim while mapping Kourna.I did get the appropriate bonus volatile or unbound magic on each swing when using the unlimited tools that come with a glyph. Used the respective unlimited tools with matching skins-glyphs as they come from the gemstore, no transmutation. Just went 0-for 51 in Kourna with a regular, merchant-bought orichalcum pick, doesn't seem to be skin related.

@thehipone.6812 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I can't confirm your results.

Or did I misunderstand what you meant by "crystal" above.

By crystal I mean the jewelcrafting materials, the ruby, emerald, sapphire, opal, etc. crystals that you occasionally get from mithril nodes. Similar orbs from orichalcum nodes are dropping fine.

I doubt it was a cap, I almost never gather mithril but did so last night on a whim while mapping Kourna.I did get the appropriate bonus volatile or unbound magic on each swing when using the unlimited tools that come with a glyph. Used the respective unlimited tools with matching skins-glyphs as they come from the gemstore, no transmutation. Just went 0-for 51 in Kourna with a regular, merchant-bought orichalcum pick, doesn't seem to be skin related.

Oh, oops. Sorry for misunderstanding. I didn't do anywhere near enough testing to confirm/deny the hypothesis.

I'll keep track going forward, especially using a non-bonus glyph tool, and post what I find.

That's a pretty big "oops" on ANet's part, if confirmed. If you do any more testing, also use the in-game /bug reporting tool after your Nth gather, since that gives them a way to backtrack over your gathering and look at nodes/instance/IP to see if anything is off.I wonder how these nodes would be different, since in theory, I would have thought that they are exactly the same 'objects' as found anywhere else in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have been keeping an eye on this some more and here is my observation: All regular PoF mithril nodes fail to drop crystals. Since my last post I have not gotten ANY crystals from regular (non-rich) mithril nodes in ANY PoF maps, Sandswept, or Kourna on multiple characters. 0 for hundreds of strikes. I can easily get them in core Tyria and other LS3 maps, usually within about 3 or 4 nodes, so the tool and character seem to work fine outside of PoF.

Has anyone else gathered a crystal (the masterwork ruby, opal, sapphire, etc.) from a regular PoF mithril node? I am wondering if all of the nodes are bugged or if a buggy collection flag (maybe the funerary gathering one?) is somehow blocking me.

Edit: Just tested HoT to check - got a ruby crystal from the 4th mithril node, so those are working.

Archived