please give warrior a staff

Forty Keks.9620

i think a cool way to do staff warrior would be to make the staff have the ability to go ranged or melee. unlike other classes having one or the other, warrior would have both. ranged because warrior does not have any good ranged options right now, and melee because come on it's a warrior, they're the most likely class to beat someone with a big stick

i'm not quite sure how it would work, probably a feature of the elite spec it's tied to. any ideas, post them.

@Forty Keks.9620 said:i think a cool way to do staff warrior would be to make the staff have the ability to go ranged or melee. unlike other classes having one or the other, warrior would have both. ranged because warrior does not have any good ranged options right now, and melee because come on it's a warrior, they're the most likely class to beat someone with a big stick

i'm not quite sure how it would work, probably a feature of the elite spec it's tied to. any ideas, post them.

The warrior already has a staff weapon. It's called a banner.

Im not partial to staf, but if they do, for gods sake do NOT make them nija animations, make them proper spear/polearm fighting animations.

Heavy armor ninja wielding staff looks almost as ridiculous as heavy armor dagger wielding... i just cant take looking ridiculous 2 expansions in a row...

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Forty Keks.9620 said:i think a cool way to do staff warrior would be to make the staff have the ability to go ranged or melee. unlike other classes having one or the other, warrior would have both. ranged because warrior does not have any good ranged options right now, and melee because come on it's a warrior, they're the most likely class to beat someone with a big stick

oh you mean those useless things nobody uses?

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

Yes. But even the idea of the warrior having a staff as a weapon would just seem silly. When you think of a warrior in RPGs, they're usually the muscle of the class/profession roster, dealing a lot of damage and the weapons that usually come in mind are greatswords, hammers, axes, swords, shields etc.

Staff would be so out of place, both thematically and mechanically. Just imagine how silly it would be if a warrior was this heavy armor staff wielding ninja doing kicks and flips in the air like a staff daredevil.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

Yes. But even the idea of the warrior having a staff as a weapon would just seem silly. When you think of a warrior in RPGs, they're usually the muscle of the class/profession roster, dealing a lot of damage and the weapons that usually come in mind are greatswords, hammers, axes, swords, shields etc.

Staff would be so out of place, both thematically and mechanically. Just imagine how silly it would be if a warrior was this heavy armor staff wielding ninja doing kicks and flips in the air like a staff daredevil.

of all the silly things in this game the warrior with a staff would be too silly?

the warrior already has a longbow, a rifle, and daggers for crying out loud. very unfitting weapons for a warrior. who cares? if they can design the staff to be warrior like what's the problem?

it's either staff, shortbow, focus, or scepter. all which are boring weapons that a warrior wouldn't be using anyway.

@"Oglaf.1074" said:The Focus could actually be made awesome. Recently Anet have been adding lots of Focus skins that look distinctly like fist weapons, so if you made it a melee weapon for Warrior it would mean you could dual-wield things like brass knuckles.

the problem with that is i think focus will remain strictly offhand. and i do NOT want an offhand weapon for a new elite spec (seriously they're all so boring). i think the warrior should have every weapon eventually. they're warriors, they're supposed to be proficient in every weapon. thats why they have the most weapon options of any spec. but staff would be my favorite

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

of all the silly things in this game the warrior with a staff would be too silly?

the warrior already has a longbow, a rifle, and daggers for crying out loud. very unfitting weapons for a warrior. who cares? if they can design the staff to be warrior like what's the problem?

it's either staff, shortbow, focus, or scepter. all which are boring weapons that a warrior wouldn't be using anyway.

Staff can be very fitting IF the animations are appropriate. If they reuse the Thief/Revenant ninja animations, then yes it would look ridiculous.

If you want to smash things with staff, use hammer instead :wink:Focus mainhand could be interesting, but more as tank/control weapon with good offhand shield synergy. Usable in PvE too as anet would nerf chrono tank appropriately.I wouldn't mind dual pistols. Strong, slower attacks on 1, 2, 3 skills, maybe some badass looking evade at 4, and 5 would be super op, so other classes will cry in frustration :smile:I would be happy with spear or trident. Melee + semi/ranged attacks, power dps or tank (after they destroy chrono tank).Shortbow would be disappointing, scepter would be lame af.

@Apolo.5942 said:Im not partial to staf, but if they do, for gods sake do NOT make them nija animations, make them proper spear/polearm fighting animations.

Heavy armor ninja wielding staff looks almost as ridiculous as heavy armor dagger wielding... i just cant take looking ridiculous 2 expansions in a row...

nobody said he would wield it like a ninja, just take a spear skin and give him spear animations, done. most fighters in medieval times used spear weapons anyways, way cheaper than steelweapons and with their longer range safer to use

id like it because it could be the warriors midrange weapon, right now we only have very short range or rather long range, nothing like 600-900 range, could also give it some aoe sweeping attack to knock em off their legs or something

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

how are rifle and bow not a warriors weapon, those weapons were used for hundreds of years in war, also daggers were always carried by pretty much everyone who was in an army or a mercenary, many used a sword in one and a dagger in the other hand, a dagger is way faster drawn and more efficient in a close ranged brawl ...nothing wrong herea scepter would be kind of weird, id imagine slapping that thi g over someones head

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:The Focus could actually be made awesome. Recently Anet have been adding lots of Focus skins that look distinctly like fist weapons, so if you made it a melee weapon for Warrior it would mean you could dual-wield things like

the problem with that is i think focus will remain strictly offhand. and i do NOT want an offhand weapon for a new elite spec (seriously they're all so boring). i think the warrior should have every weapon eventually. they're warriors, they're supposed to be proficient in every weapon. thats why they have the most weapon options of any spec. but staff would be my favorite

Are you saying that Dual Binding of Ipos would be boring? I dunno about you, but shredding the hell out of people with double shadow claw things sounds pretty sick. Just need to hide the book. Or maybe punch them with the book.

@RedShark.9548 said:

@Apolo.5942 said:Im not partial to staf, but if they do, for gods sake do NOT make them nija animations, make them proper spear/polearm fighting animations.

nobody said he would wield it like a ninja, just take a spear skin and give him spear animations, done. most fighters in medieval times used spear weapons anyways, way cheaper than steelweapons and with their longer range safer to use

id like it because it could be the warriors midrange weapon, right now we only have very short range or rather long range, nothing like 600-900 range, could also give it some aoe sweeping attack to knock em off their legs or something

how are rifle and bow not a warriors weapon, those weapons were used for hundreds of years in war, also daggers were always carried by pretty much everyone who was in an army or a mercenary, many used a sword in one and a dagger in the other hand, a dagger is way faster drawn and more efficient in a close ranged brawl ...nothing wrong herea scepter would be kind of weird, id imagine slapping that thi g over someones head

i am not talking real world warriors. we're talking mmo warriors. most of which do not feature warriors having guns, longbows, or daggers.

@Kiroshima.8497 said:

@"Oglaf.1074" said:The Focus could actually be made awesome. Recently Anet have been adding lots of Focus skins that look distinctly like fist weapons, so if you made it a melee weapon for Warrior it would mean you could dual-wield things like

Are you saying that Dual Binding of Ipos would be boring? I dunno about you, but shredding the hell out of people with double shadow claw things sounds pretty sick. Just need to hide the book. Or maybe punch them with the book.

binding of Ipos looks really cool but the book ruins it.

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

Longbow, rifle, and dagger are actually all pretty standard weapons for what the warrior is. If any of those weapons would be deemed unfitting then the staff would be unfitting too, more so as a ranged weapon. It's also difficult to convince people that your preferred weapon should be accepted when you call all other weapons boring. There are also pistols to consider and a gun-wielding pistol warrior could be just as fun. I actually see them making that their next ranged choice. Considering the image of a warrior if they get a staff I would expect it to be melee weapon. The other possible ranged weapon could be scepter though.

@Traveller.7496 said:Staff could go with a monk spec (melee focused) or an arcane warrior (ranged, perhaps PbAoE) type of class.

I can see that happening very easily if they go to Cantha. Though I think if they were to go all monk that it would likely be Revenant (who uses a staff already so they would have to get some other monk like weapon) or Guardian (I don't think they use staff yet so it would fit for them too).

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

i am not talking real world warriors. we're talking mmo warriors. most of which do not feature warriors having guns, longbows, or daggers.

Huh? Warriors don't use longbows or daggers? You might be able to make a case for guns since guns don't show up often in many fantasy games but longbows and daggers are pretty standard for most fighting classes. Hell, the king of all Warriors, the Warrior from WoW, makes use of all three. How can you claim that Warriors in other MMO's don't make use of such weapons? If it isn't fitting for a Warrior to use longbows and daggers (I'll grant you guns on a slim margine due to how they're not fantasy based elements but even then .....) then a staff isn't either.

@Dace.8173 said:

Longbow, rifle, and dagger are actually all pretty standard weapons for what the warrior is. If any of those weapons would be deemed unfitting then the staff would be unfitting too, more so as a ranged weapon. It's also difficult to convince people that your preferred weapon should be accepted when you call all other weapons boring. There are also pistols to consider and a gun-wielding pistol warrior could be just as fun. I actually see them making that their next ranged choice. Considering the image of a warrior if they get a staff I would expect it to be melee weapon. The other possible ranged weapon could be scepter though.

@Traveller.7496 said:Staff could go with a monk spec (melee focused) or an arcane warrior (ranged, perhaps PbAoE) type of class.

I can see that happening very easily if they go to Cantha. Though I think if they were to go all monk that it would likely be Revenant (who uses a staff already so they would have to get some other monk like weapon) or Guardian (I don't think they use staff yet so it would fit for them too).

Huh? Warriors don't use longbows or daggers? You might be able to make a case for guns since guns don't show up often in many fantasy games but longbows and daggers are pretty standard for most fighting classes. Hell, the king of all Warriors, the Warrior from WoW, makes use of all three. How can you claim that Warriors in other MMO's don't make use of such weapons? If it isn't fitting for a Warrior to use longbows and daggers (I'll grant you guns on a slim margine due to how they're not fantasy based elements but even then .....) then a staff isn't either.

can you use a gun on a warrior in wow? no. can you use a longbow? no. in lore warriors can use ANYTHING. but from a gameplay standpoint, no mmo out there gives warriors a bow, gun, dagger, or staff. so when i say those things aren't fitting. it mean's i don't CARE that they aren't fitting. which is everyone's argument for why warrior shouldn't get a staff. i swear the community of gw2 is so dense it's unbelievable sometimes how hard they try to shut down new things.

Archived