GW2 Frame Limiter

Just a quick question. Why are there only 3 frame limiter settings? Just 30 fps, 60 fps, and unlimited. Is there another setting I'm not seeing? I have a 100hz ultrawide and I hit over 100 regularly and would love to see it without screen tearing. Any chance of an FPS limiter slider so we can pick based on our own refresh rate?

Depending on card and monitor setup you either want to use freesync/gsync or adaptive vsync, if you really want non-tearing +-100fps.

But, what's the problem with using 60fps? That's perfectly smooth, especially if you can maintain it 100% of the time. Your monitor still run at 100hz and it wont tear regardless. As a bonus you also get a quiet and cool running computer, compared to when you let the card go nuts with fps.

@Dawdler.8521 60 looks like stutter if you got used to 100+ Hz

I agree that we need higher frame limiter settings. 75/100/120/144/165/240 would be a good start.Frame limiter helps a lot with gsync/free sync also, better than vsync since that adds input lag and sometimes overshoots the refresh rate of the monitor introducing tearing again (or even make the monitor flicker if its turning gsync/freesync on and off all the time, but the intensity is different depending on the monitor quality)

@Dawdler.8521 said:Depending on card and monitor setup you either want to use freesync/gsync or adaptive vsync, if you really want non-tearing +-100fps.

But, what's the problem with using 60fps? That's perfectly smooth, especially if you can maintain it 100% of the time. Your monitor still run at 100hz and it wont tear regardless. As a bonus you also get a quiet and cool running computer, compared to when you let the card go nuts with fps.

Gsync only functions below the monitors refresh rate or equal to it. Once you go over your refresh rate you still get tearing. And if I'm 100% honest, not trying to be a snob, but 60 doesn't feel smooth to me anymore.

@Zalavaaris.5329 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Depending on card and monitor setup you either want to use freesync/gsync or adaptive vsync, if you really want non-tearing +-100fps.

Gsync only functions below the monitors refresh rate or equal to it. Once you go over your refresh rate you still get tearing. And if I'm 100% honest, not trying to be a snob, but 60 doesn't feel smooth to me anymore.Set it on 30 fps for a week or so, then when you change it to 60 it will feel wonderfully smooth.

@Reverielle.3972 said:

Gsync only functions below the monitors refresh rate or equal to it. Once you go over your refresh rate you still get tearing. And if I'm 100% honest, not trying to be a snob, but 60 doesn't feel smooth to me anymore.Set it on 30 fps for a week or so, then when you change it to 60 it will feel wonderfully smooth.People dont buy 100 to 240 Hz monitors to do stuff like that. If they wanted such a bad experience they could have bought a 200€ garbage tier monitor to begin with

@Reverielle.3972 said:

Gsync only functions below the monitors refresh rate or equal to it. Once you go over your refresh rate you still get tearing. And if I'm 100% honest, not trying to be a snob, but 60 doesn't feel smooth to me anymore.Set it on 30 fps for a week or so, then when you change it to 60 it will feel wonderfully smooth.

I'm more likely to play a different game with a smooth experience lol

@Zalavaaris.5329 said:Gsync only functions below the monitors refresh rate or equal to it. Once you go over your refresh rate you still get tearing.This is why Vsync exists. Gsync redundant.

@"Malediktus.9250" said:better than vsync since that adds input lag and sometimes overshoots the refresh rate of the monitor introducing tearing againUse a 59/119/143/164 FPS cap. Problem solved. Actually, at 120 hz and higher, the input lag is so miniscule, you can't even notice it anyway, because the delay is about as long as the frametime. 8msAlso, this "overshoot" doesn't happen. Tearing is gone. Forever.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@Zalavaaris.5329 said:Gsync only functions below the monitors refresh rate or equal to it. Once you go over your refresh rate you still get tearing.This is why Vsync exists. Gsync redundant.

@"Malediktus.9250" said:better than vsync since that adds input lag and sometimes overshoots the refresh rate of the monitor introducing tearing againUse a 59/119/143/164 FPS cap. Problem solved. Actually, at 120 hz and higher, the input lag is so miniscule, you can't even notice it anyway, because the delay is about as long as the frametime. 8msAlso, this "overshoot" doesn't happen. Tearing is gone. Forever.

Input lag is lowest if the application is doing the frame limiting itself instead of using 3rd party apps

@"Zalavaaris.5329" said:I honestly dont know why there is a discussion here lol I cant see any reason why anyone would argue against a simple display adjustment option lol

Because a frame limiter is more then just some number it has to match, and involves telling the engine stop doing stuff at certain intervals. The reduced odds of tearing are only really the result of probability between the frame buffer and display rate. ..... So the behavior of a frame limiter in of itself dosen't "prevent tearing", as that is still the function of GPU behaviors such as Vsync and its variants.

So it raises the question..... why not just use hardware controlled Vsync, since this is exactly what its designed to for?

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Zalavaaris.5329" said:I honestly dont know why there is a discussion here lol I cant see any reason why anyone would argue against a simple display adjustment option lol

Because a frame limiter is more then just some number it has to match, and involves telling the engine stop doing stuff at certain intervals. The reduced odds of tearing are only really the result of probability between the frame buffer and display rate. ..... So the behavior of a frame limiter in of itself dosen't "prevent tearing", as that is still the function of GPU behaviors such as Vsync and its variants.

So it raises the question..... why not just use hardware controlled Vsync, since this is exactly what its designed to for?

But.... the game already has a frame limiter lol I'm just asking for a slider (like in WoW, overwatch, sea of thieves, basically most other games, etc.). Do you have a high refresh rate gsync monitor and a gpu capable of pushing fps higher than the refresh rate by any chance? I'm not asking to be a jerk but I wont be using vsync with gsync. That may seem unreasonable to someone without what I mentioned above, but if you do have that hardware and you're using that setup you are hindering yourself.

Anyway this is my fault. I wasnt trying to start a discussion back and forth. This just seemed like the best place to give a suggestion to anet to improve the performance options.

Archived