cant beat ranger in wvw roaming, need advice.

Ronnie Hu.1694

looks like every rangers can beat me so easy now.. their mobility & speed , the invulnerable make me feel like they are the real warriors now. not mention that they have invisibility and teleport skill.i running normal spellbreaker with gs and hammer..

can i get a build specially for against ranger/ soulbeast / druidor tell me the tips how to fight them now

As i ranger main i have to ask what teleport skill ranger has, i havent seen one till now.Rsnger is prone to CC on druid you only have 1 source of stab and on soulbeast you have 2.Course ranger has a plethra of stunbreakd but thats a max of 3 together with stunbreak on entering beastmode and shared anguish you get on 5 CC which you actively have to counter.Warrior can use Sbreaker and physical skills to pin down a ranger. Together with reveals on shouts and stances you can counter stealth and with magebane teather you can counter enemies running away. And ladt but not least: Shield + trait is fantastic against rangers because you reflect their projectiles.Use your immunities wisely and chain them together. If you see a call of the wild animation you cant block next pet/soulbeast attacks and with signet if the hunt its the same regarding the ranger, thats when you have go pull your immunities out because they will punch through your defenses.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:As i ranger main i have to ask what teleport skill ranger has, i havent seen one till now.Rsnger is prone to CC on druid you only have 1 source of stab and on soulbeast you have 2.Course ranger has a plethra of stunbreakd but thats a max of 3 together with stunbreak on entering beastmode and shared anguish you get on 5 CC which you actively have to counter.Warrior can use Sbreaker and physical skills to pin down a ranger. Together with reveals on shouts and stances you can counter stealth and with magebane teather you can counter enemies running away. And ladt but not least: Shield + trait is fantastic against rangers because you reflect their projectiles.Use your immunities wisely and chain them together. If you see a call of the wild animation you cant block next pet/soulbeast attacks and with signet if the hunt its the same regarding the ranger, thats when you have go pull your immunities out because they will punch through your defenses.

Beast mode #2 with smoke scale is the only thing I can think off.

in roaming dont use hammer, its way too slow, better go for axe/shieldshield giving you a reflect on that pesky longbow, but watch out, if the enemy ranger is good he will use unblockable buffs to penetrate your shield, that stuff hurts, try to use line of sight when they are on longbow and you have no gapcloser ready, no need to tank that for free while you cant reach him. also when he swaps to greatsword and you see him blocking something from you while melee, immediately dodge after he blocked, because a knockdown will follow from his block, which will result in him easily hitting maul on you, which will hit for like 7k

try to always stick with him,bullscharge is a great tool for that aswell as gs, its hard for him to swap to longbow when younare constantly pressuring him from melee range, and if you are close his bow wont hit as hardmany rangers will also use their knockback or stealth right as first thing when they swap to bow, dodge or reflect will hurt him alot

a well played soulbeast is a very hard opponent and druids are basically unkillable due to their kite potential and sustain tbh, they have a hard time killing you too tho, ive had fight with druids that went for minutes until one of us got bored and walked off

Typically, I like to stay in a Rangers face, no matter the profession. Ranger is at its best when it can keep you at a distance. So if you can stay in their face and keep them from being able to maneuver well you're halfway to being able to stand up to them. Bull's Charge and Sheild Bash should help you get in their face and Sight Beyond Sight will help you spot a stealthed Ranger.

@Traveller.7496 said:Is it better to take axe instead of dagger (w/ shield) nowadays in WvW? I still feel like they both have their good points, with dagger being more of a CC weapon, but axe has great DPS and a ranged cripple.

after all those nerfs i just feel that dagger mainhand lost it oompf, has no big burst, most enemy roamers will just kite to regain health because you cant burst them down like an axe can. if i want more mobility id take sword as mainhand, dagger pretty much only offers the f1 boonrip with unblockable... i dont play it anymore, id rather stick to my axe, also finishing off ppl with low hp with axe 3 is fun

@RedShark.9548 said:

@Traveller.7496 said:Is it better to take axe instead of dagger (w/ shield) nowadays in WvW? I still feel like they both have their good points, with dagger being more of a CC weapon, but axe has great DPS and a ranged cripple.

after all those nerfs i just feel that dagger mainhand lost it oompf, has no big burst, most enemy roamers will just kite to regain health because you cant burst them down like an axe can. if i want more mobility id take sword as mainhand, dagger pretty much only offers the f1 boonrip with unblockable... i dont play it anymore, id rather stick to my axe, also finishing off ppl with low hp with axe 3 is fun

I still feel dagger mainhand is superior to axe on a standard spellbreaker build. Unless you play full zerk strenght runes same as core then go axe.But on normal marauder durability spellbreaker dagger is good for gap closing and sustain, landing F1 with dagger is way easier then landing F1 axe, one because it's unblockable and against guardian or random aegis it will still land, and second because you can easily set it up with shield stun plus dagger stun.And against rangers dagger is superior to axe because of the F1 boon rip, ranger is carried by boons same as holosmith, and removing boons to him It's so good.Running bull's charge in spellbreaker feels too odd because of the 30 secs cd, even on core they nerfed the physical from 33% to 10% it is overall less good to use.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

I still feel dagger mainhand is superior to axe on a standard spellbreaker build. Unless you play full zerk strenght runes same as core then go axe.But on normal marauder durability spellbreaker dagger is good for gap closing and sustain, landing F1 with dagger is way easier then landing F1 axe, one because it's unblockable and against guardian or random aegis it will still land, and second because you can easily set it up with shield stun plus dagger stun.And against rangers dagger is superior to axe because of the F1 boon rip, ranger is carried by boons same as holosmith, and removing boons to him It's so good.Running bull's charge in spellbreaker feels too odd because of the 30 secs cd, even on core they nerfed the physical from 33% to 10% it is overall less good to use.

dagger still doesnt have the burst to kill someone, about the boons you might be right, its the only rly good thing, the leaps are a joke tbh, 300 range i can walk pretty mich as quick as i do the leap

what else are you gonna use ? bullscharge is one of the strongest utilities the warrior has, providing much needed gapcloser, a knockdown to setup your burst and the evade while travelling is very much underrated

i have way more success with axe, better cleave, axe 2 is a pretty good burst on low casttime, axe throw...ranged is always good, especially with that kill pressure it applies as soon as enemies get low hp

its somewhat preference, but i like axe alot more, and even t1 evis hurts with 25might stacks. the kill potential is way higher, especially since there are thiefs and mesmer running around that basically need to be onecomboed or else they just jump away and reset the fight till you die a slow painfull death

@RedShark.9548 said:

dagger still doesnt have the burst to kill someone, about the boons you might be right, its the only rly good thing, the leaps are a joke tbh, 300 range i can walk pretty mich as quick as i do the leap

what else are you gonna use ? bullscharge is one of the strongest utilities the warrior has, providing much needed gapcloser, a knockdown to setup your burst and the evade while travelling is very much underrated

i have way more success with axe, better cleave, axe 2 is a pretty good burst on low casttime, axe throw...ranged is always good, especially with that kill pressure it applies as soon as enemies get low hp

its somewhat preference, but i like axe alot more, and even t1 evis hurts with 25might stacks. the kill potential is way higher, especially since there are thiefs and mesmer running around that basically need to be onecomboed or else they just jump away and reset the fight till you die a slow painfull death

300 range? Dagger2 plus DaggerF1 is 750 range.And you have greatsword to do the damage, dagger is there for utility, better adrenaline health stack with DaggerF1 and one extra cc that axe doens't have.

It's so easy to dodge bull's charge in a 1vs1 scenario, harder instead is avoid dagger3 into shield stun or any F1 skill.

Axe is good on core warrior, a lot less in spellbreaker.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

300 range? Dagger2 plus DaggerF1 is 750 range.And you have greatsword to do the damage, dagger is there for utility, better adrenaline health stack with DaggerF1 and one extra cc that axe doens't have.

It's so easy to dodge bull's charge in a 1vs1 scenario, harder instead is avoid dagger3 into shield stun or any F1 skill.

you dont use it as opener, use it when they already used dodges or to gapclose.yea wow using 2 skills to gain 750 range, thats some mobility lol, i was talking about single skill range which is 300 on d2 on 8s cd . sword has a 600leap on a single skill with 8s cdeven on sb evis crits usually for 6-8k, which is enough when it just uses 1 adrenalin bar and is alot more spammable since you can even reset its cd with full counter

whatever like i said, its basically just a decision of taste, i like axe more, thats it.ive played both and feel better using axe. ive made my points on why i like it more and am not going to repeat them. play whatever of those 2 you like better

@RedShark.9548 said:

you dont use it as opener, use it when they already used dodges or to gapclose.yea wow using 2 skills to gain 750 range, thats some mobility lol, i was talking about single skill range which is 300 on d2 on 8s cd . sword has a 600leap on a single skill with 8s cdeven on sb evis crits usually for 6-8k, which is enough when it just uses 1 adrenalin bar and is alot more spammable since you can even reset its cd with full counter

whatever like i said, its basically just a decision of taste, i like axe more, thats it.ive played both and feel better using axe. ive made my points on why i like it more and am not going to repeat them. play whatever of those 2 you like better

It's just preference but in a 1vs1 scenario against ranger, dagger is superior just because of f1 boon rip... ranger has perma protection and you will crit maybe 3-4k with eviscerate on spellbreaker... the boon is way better to annoy them. On noob players axe of course win, because they don't dont dodge anything and you burst them so easy.For example im a spellbreaker vs spellbreaker dagger should be superior and give you an advantage especially when your enemy shield5 you can still damage and get adrenaline health out of it, core warrior instead just dodge into your shield and damage you with the unblockable dodge attack, spellbreaker with axe cannot.And trust me those little attacks when the enemy is defensive are very important.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@"Traveller.7496" said:Is it better to take axe instead of dagger (w/ shield) nowadays in WvW? I still feel like they both have their good points, with dagger being more of a CC weapon, but axe has great DPS and a ranged cripple.

It's just preference but in a 1vs1 scenario against ranger, dagger is superior just because of f1 boon rip... ranger has perma protection and you will crit maybe 3-4k with eviscerate on spellbreaker... the boon is way better to annoy them. On noob players axe of course win, because they don't dont dodge anything and you burst them so easy.For example im a spellbreaker vs spellbreaker dagger should be superior and give you an advantage especially when your enemy shield5 you can still damage and get adrenaline health out of it, core warrior instead just dodge into your shield and damage you with the unblockable dodge attack, spellbreaker with axe cannot.And trust me those little attacks when the enemy is defensive are very important.

i know that they are important, i still like axe more, dagger f1 can be dodged just as easily as evis btw... just not blocked. and if you rly have such a big problem with boons use break enchantments

with dagger they will just start runnig as soon as they realize they are losing, and dagger "awesome" leaps wont stop them from getting away. with axe you can often burst them down before they realize that they lost, and also got 2 axes to throw at them for the finish, finish axe 3 happens more often than ppl might think

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"Traveller.7496" said:Is it better to take axe instead of dagger (w/ shield) nowadays in WvW? I still feel like they both have their good points, with dagger being more of a CC weapon, but axe has great DPS and a ranged cripple.

i know that they are important, i still like axe more, dagger f1 can be dodged just as easily as evis btw... just not blocked. and if you rly have such a big problem with boons use break enchantments

with dagger they will just start runnig as soon as they realize they are losing, and dagger "awesome" leaps wont stop them from getting away. with axe you can often burst them down before they realize that they lost, and also got 2 axes to throw at them for the finish, finish axe 3 happens more often than ppl might think

Maybe you misunderstood me, to be honest I like axe more too, but lately I am playing with core warrior while roaming, and axe gives the best on core and that's a fact.Core vs spellbreaker in a 1vs1, core is better especially landing those evis.But on spellbreaker dagger is the way to go, especially with sigil of draining which has no internal cd you can heal with full counter interrupt, plus dagger interrupt plus shield interrupt and if you run megabane trait, with that too. And that's a lot of sustain that helps a lot in outnumbering especially. On axe you run intelligence for sure like I do and it's just damage focused only, so the weapon fits core warrior the best.Of course you can play it on spellbreaker and have success with it, but in a 1vs1 scenario against another spellbreaker same gear, same build and same skill level, dagger wins at 1vs1.Only this.Lately I just play full zerk warrior with hoelbrak runes(to help a bit with condis) and it's much more fun than spellbreaker, it's so good to oneshot people who are running behind you and don't expect an attack from you xD with spellbreaker you can't achieve that oneshot damage combo, you just have easier life against condis and more sustain in outnumbers due to full counter always proc.

@whoknocks.4935 said:Maybe you misunderstood me, to be honest I like axe more too, but lately I am playing with core warrior while roaming, and axe gives the best on core and that's a fact.Core vs spellbreaker in a 1vs1, core is better especially landing those evis.But on spellbreaker dagger is the way to go, especially with sigil of draining which has no internal cd you can heal with full counter interrupt, plus dagger interrupt plus shield interrupt and if you run megabane trait, with that too. And that's a lot of sustain that helps a lot in outnumbering especially. On axe you run intelligence for sure like I do and it's just damage focused only, so the weapon fits core warrior the best.Of course you can play it on spellbreaker and have success with it, but in a 1vs1 scenario against another spellbreaker same gear, same build and same skill level, dagger wins at 1vs1.Only this.Lately I just play full zerk warrior with hoelbrak runes(to help a bit with condis) and it's much more fun than spellbreaker, it's so good to oneshot people who are running behind you and don't expect an attack from you xD with spellbreaker you can't achieve that oneshot damage combo, you just have easier life against condis and more sustain in outnumbers due to full counter always proc.

Are you playing the usual might makes right core warrior on wvw? Lately I've been trying out rousing resilience with the changes on Shake it off. It's nice to have 3 stunbreaks on my bar with SiO, Endure pain and Balanced stance, and each of them triggers Rousing resilience. Still testing if it's actually better than running Last stand.

I'm still kinda undecided which I like more. SB has the sustain and feels like better in outnumbered, but the core damage is just huge and you can fit Bull's charge in your utilities as well.

@Traveller.7496 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:Maybe you misunderstood me, to be honest I like axe more too, but lately I am playing with core warrior while roaming, and axe gives the best on core and that's a fact.Core vs spellbreaker in a 1vs1, core is better especially landing those evis.But on spellbreaker dagger is the way to go, especially with sigil of draining which has no internal cd you can heal with full counter interrupt, plus dagger interrupt plus shield interrupt and if you run megabane trait, with that too. And that's a lot of sustain that helps a lot in outnumbering especially. On axe you run intelligence for sure like I do and it's just damage focused only, so the weapon fits core warrior the best.Of course you can play it on spellbreaker and have success with it, but in a 1vs1 scenario against another spellbreaker same gear, same build and same skill level, dagger wins at 1vs1.Only this.Lately I just play full zerk warrior with hoelbrak runes(to help a bit with condis) and it's much more fun than spellbreaker, it's so good to oneshot people who are running behind you and don't expect an attack from you xD with spellbreaker you can't achieve that oneshot damage combo, you just have easier life against condis and more sustain in outnumbers due to full counter always proc.

Are you playing the usual might makes right core warrior on wvw? Lately I've been trying out rousing resilience with the changes on Shake it off. It's nice to have 3 stunbreaks on my bar with SiO, Endure pain and Balanced stance, and each of them triggers Rousing resilience. Still testing if it's actually better than running Last stand.

I'm still kinda undecided which I like more. SB has the sustain and feels like better in outnumbered, but the core damage is just huge and you can fit Bull's charge in your utilities as well.

Might makes right it's the best for sustain as core, dodge food plus last stance, stances gives you vigor, so you have a 90% dodge regen with the food. Plus you get 15 endurance from landing burst skills as well and each time you get might.

@Traveller.7496 said:

atm i play sb with rousing resillience and bullscharge, balanced stance and shake it off, works very well, i guess would also play that on core, i used to play core more, but always being outnumbered wasnt fun anymore on core, sb just handels them betterimo stance trait is not rly worth it anymore, the heal and armor from rr trait are huge

I main ranger and run soulbeast/druid for roaming, imo, spellbreaker have the upperhand in this matchup. But on your issue, hammer is not a good weapon for roaming and its even worst against a ranger who can easily kite you around. On your 2nd weapon set you should be running axe or dagger + shield, this way you can make use of those reflect and also being able to play more defensively.
You should bring the fight to a ranger and not let him/her control the rhythm, always get into melee and most rangers will start to panic and pop all those defensive cooldowns. Another "mistake" that i see some spellbreakers do is use full counter on cooldown and by doing that skilled rangers will mentally keep track of it and avoid. Try to hold more on your full counter and use when you see the ranger is going for a careless damage rotation or when he tunnelvision you.

@"RedShark.9548" said:atm i play sb with rousing resillience and bullscharge, balanced stance and shake it off, works very well, i guess would also play that on core, i used to play core more, but always being outnumbered wasnt fun anymore on core, sb just handels them betterimo stance trait is not rly worth it anymore, the heal and armor from rr trait are huge

Rousing resilience feels powerful since you get stunned quite a lot. Also dropping Endure pain means you can't rely as much on "oh shit" buttons and have to play more skillfully. What traits you use from SB, the standard Full counter - focused 2-1-2 ? Or magebane?

@Traveller.7496 said:

@"RedShark.9548" said:atm i play sb with rousing resillience and bullscharge, balanced stance and shake it off, works very well, i guess would also play that on core, i used to play core more, but always being outnumbered wasnt fun anymore on core, sb just handels them betterimo stance trait is not rly worth it anymore, the heal and armor from rr trait are huge

Rousing resilience feels powerful since you get stunned quite a lot. Also dropping Endure pain means you can't rely as much on "oh kitten" buttons and have to play more skillfully. What traits you use from SB, the standard Full counter - focused 2-1-2 ? Or magebane?

right now sb with everything in the middle except grandmaster magebane mainly for more dmg since i play marauder armor with durability rune and zerker trinkets atm.i also run axe because on sb evis is quite spammable and still hits for 5-8k dmg which is quite nice, i also swap to sword from time to time for more mobility and with sword i swap burst mastery out for heightened focus for that quick final thrust and faster attackspeed in general since sword burst isnt as impactful as axemagebane is also very good for setting up evis or final thrusts

the only advantage of revenge counter imo is that fullcounter wont miss due to blindness because it first applies resi and hits afterwards, the 20% dmg are whatever since magebane might boosts all your attacks and not just fc

• 3 weeks later...

I am testing shouts on a Berserker condition warrior with tempest Runes and Rousing resilience + Vigorous shouts. Stun breaks heal, shouts heal can toe to toe scourges and flush away conditions with ease (shake it off) and have multiple reveals for stealth counters (on my mark). For great justice easily loads max Might stacks for a heal boost and to peak up the Condition ticks which stacks on top the vuln add of On My mark. Toe to toe most melee classes are in trouble and tend to flee which exposes one downside , that being poor mobility and lack of chase down utility.

Against the LB/GS ranger in particular many Rangers will in time just leave the scene as you can outfight them at melee and use heals to outheal damage from range. (settlers runes gives ~ 2300 condition damage steady + the vuln when might factored in along with ~ 1000 in heals with toughness just under 4k).

I have been running this about a week now. It really shines in small scale as you can last forever while continously outputting heals to teamates in range via the shouts without any significant loss to damage out (s/t + LB)

• 2 months later...

@babazhook.6805 said:I am testing shouts on a Berserker condition warrior with tempest Runes and Rousing resilience + Vigorous shouts. Stun breaks heal, shouts heal can toe to toe scourges and flush away conditions with ease (shake it off) and have multiple reveals for stealth counters (on my mark). For great justice easily loads max Might stacks for a heal boost and to peak up the Condition ticks which stacks on top the vuln add of On My mark. Toe to toe most melee classes are in trouble and tend to flee which exposes one downside , that being poor mobility and lack of chase down utility.

Against the LB/GS ranger in particular many Rangers will in time just leave the scene as you can outfight them at melee and use heals to outheal damage from range. (settlers runes gives ~ 2300 condition damage steady + the vuln when might factored in along with ~ 1000 in heals with toughness just under 4k).

I have been running this about a week now. It really shines in small scale as you can last forever while continously outputting heals to teamates in range via the shouts without any significant loss to damage out (s/t + LB)

Sorry for the threadmancy, but was curious how you are liking this build since its been a few months now?

@Rysdude.3824 said:

@babazhook.6805 said:I am testing shouts on a Berserker condition warrior with tempest Runes and Rousing resilience + Vigorous shouts. Stun breaks heal, shouts heal can toe to toe scourges and flush away conditions with ease (shake it off) and have multiple reveals for stealth counters (on my mark). For great justice easily loads max Might stacks for a heal boost and to peak up the Condition ticks which stacks on top the vuln add of On My mark. Toe to toe most melee classes are in trouble and tend to flee which exposes one downside , that being poor mobility and lack of chase down utility.

Sorry for the threadmancy, but was curious how you are liking this build since its been a few months now?

I am STILL using the build. :) . It not great a taking opponents out quickly but has tremendous staying power.

in on point fights such as when flipping a Lord in a tower The healing of the shouts dispersed to the team have been enough to turn the tide of battle in our favor even when we outnumbered. (the heal of a shout around 2100+ per). I do not use healing signet as in such a build I found either mending (7600+ heal with 3 conditions cleansed every 15 seconds ) or To the limit for a 13000+ heal with 100 END added every 24 seconds much more effective. Adremal ticks are high and supplemented nicely by the shouts more then making up for the per tick heal of the healing signet. Breaking a stun also gives a fat heal via the combo of tempest and rousing. This nice against Holos that like to chain stuns. (Rousing Resilience stun break is a 3000 heal added to the tempest kickin )

Archived