storm dagger

@Ronnie Hu.1694 said:why RNG?

i really want the skin and bought 25 keys.

You kind of answered your own question. You bought the keys to get it. (And that's not meant as a jibe, I will be doing the same!)The Gem Store is there to bring money into the company, someone crunched some numbers and figured the income per item by making it available this way is more than selling it directly.

25 keys is 2,100 gems. Would you have bought the skin if they put it in the store at that price? Do you imagine all the other people trying for this skin would? Considering the complaints about mount skins at that price I think it's unlikely many people would buy a 2k dagger. But you bought 25 keys and you won't be the only one, some will buy many more.

That is why they do it. People will spend far, far more on RNG boxes to try and get the item/s they want than they do on direct sales, so it makes the company more money. They'll stop doing it when people stop buying them.

Predatory practices you see in a lot of games these days. Even though gw2 system is a bit more fair it doesn’t change the fact that lootboxes are lootboxes.

Belgium and Netherlands banned them and even Steam had to remove them (CS:GO). Hopefully other countries in Europe will follow. Time to end this bs.

I got it from the 3rd chest I have opened but to be honest I would not have bought more keys than that since I asume that we will get the chance to buy them for statuettes in the future (means few weeks/months) - as it happened for all the blc-rng-skins released so far.

• 1 month later...

RNG is funny, i bought 50 keys couple days back to get this skin when keys were on sale but didn't get it (although i did get other goodies and couple fused skins so i earned back 80% of my gold by selling the skins back to TP).

Today i got a free key from anniversary chest and opened a BL chest and got the storm dagger skin. Moral of the story, never open chests if you are gunning for some specific something as you would be in for a disappointment. Open them just for fun and you may get surprised then

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Kronos.2560 said:They at least need to make them available through the tokens you get from opening chests.

That only happens months after the skin was available via RNG chest drop, as usual.

But it may be one way to get around the legislation some countries are proposing to limit or ban loot boxes, and the general negative press they get even if they're not as bad as the worst examples which kicked off the whole controversy.

If the account bound items in the chest could be bought with statuettes right from when they're first introduced it would put a cap on how many attempts it takes to get them. If you could get the Storm Dagger for 25 statuettes then players would know right from the start that it will take them a maximum of 25 keys to get it and can decide if they're willing to buy that many. Whereas at the moment you just have to take your chances with a potentially infinite amount of keys or hope it will be available that way later on and that it will be a reasonable amount of statuettes.

i really want the skin and bought 25 keys. but the result is sad..

If I could give you one of my spare, useless, gathering dust dagger skins I would OP.That is the one thing that does nark me a little with some of the rare drops.. you can keep getting them and you cant do anything with them but chuck them, which is a real waste.I have no issues with BLC and RNG, but it would be good to have something like the mount system when dropping things like skins that become bound on acquire

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

If I could give you one of my spare, useless, gathering dust dagger skins I would OP.That is the one thing that does nark me a little with some of the rare drops.. you can keep getting them and you cant do anything with them but chuck them, which is a real waste.I have no issues with BLC and RNG, but it would be good to have something like the mount system when dropping things like skins that become bound on acquire

I was told by Support back in July 2017 that if you add the skin to your wardrobe you will not get a duplicate from the chest (and it will therefore slightly increase the possibility of getting other items from the same tier).

If that's not happened for you and you're getting duplicate dagger skins I recommend contacting Support and asking if they can be exchanged - I believe they were giving 1 Black Lion Key per duplicate back when the account bound items were first added and the anti-duplication wasn't working properly.

So that ppl who really want the skin can buy 25 keys and maybe get it, and if not, and if they really, really want the skin even, they will likely buy more keys.

It's a gamble and everybody knows it. As with any gamble, you win some, you lose some, some get lucky, some get broke but the house always wins. You can not support the practise, by not buying the lootboxes. I get that ppl wish these things to not be RNG, but Anet is making more money with the way it is. We can be happy that it only effects few skins and that the skins usually show up later for the statuette vendor.

I wish everything available from Black Lion Chests was available from the Black Lion Statuette vendor. Even if the number of statuettes required was very high for the most rare items, at least it would help ease the pain for those of use with the worst luck. If we opened a few chests and got what we wanted, that's great. But if we didn't get what we wanted quickly, at least we'd know eventually we would get it through statuettes.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:I wish everything available from Black Lion Chests was available from the Black Lion Statuette vendor. Even if the number of statuettes required was very high for the most rare items, at least it would help ease the pain for those of use with the worst luck. If we opened a few chests and got what we wanted, that's great. But if we didn't get what we wanted quickly, at least we'd know eventually we would get it through statuettes.

The storm dagger will eventually be placed on the vendor for 60 statues for a limited time.

@Danikat.8537 said:

I was told by Support back in July 2017 that if you add the skin to your wardrobe you will not get a duplicate from the chest (and it will therefore slightly increase the possibility of getting other items from the same tier).

If that's not happened for you and you're getting duplicate dagger skins I recommend contacting Support and asking if they can be exchanged - I believe they were giving 1 Black Lion Key per duplicate back when the account bound items were first added and the anti-duplication wasn't working properly.

That's definitely interesting.. never heard support offering that.. I got another dagger skin about a week ago.. so I might just put a ticket into them then thanks

@Lambent.6375 said:

@Orion Templar.4589 said:I wish everything available from Black Lion Chests was available from the Black Lion Statuette vendor. Even if the number of statuettes required was very high for the most rare items, at least it would help ease the pain for those of use with the worst luck. If we opened a few chests and got what we wanted, that's great. But if we didn't get what we wanted quickly, at least we'd know eventually we would get it through statuettes.

The storm dagger will eventually be placed on the vendor for 60 statues for a limited time.

Indeed, but I was thinking more generally, not just about the Storm Dagger. I just meant I wish everything available through a BLC would also be available through statuettes.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

That's definitely interesting.. never heard support offering that.. I got another dagger skin about a week ago.. so I might just put a ticket into them then thanks

I contacted Support to ask if it's possible to swap a reward I couldn't use for another one from the same tier, and got told they couldn't do that but if I added it to the wardrobe before opening any more chests it wouldn't drop again so my chances of getting the thing I wanted would be higher.

They also said to update the ticket if I did get the same reward again. Didn't mention any kind of compensation but I remember hearing about that on this forum when account bound rewards were first added to chests.

Archived