How Good is Soulbeast Dagger

Dace.8173

High dmg low utility. Condi DPS for PvE good but thats it. Not really best in slot for PvP or WvW. 3 has no evade, AA is slow and 2 does barely give any trait synergy.On the dmg its fabtastic on a viper Soulbeast for high end content though and its mobility is superb to any other weapon.

The problem is its heavily loaded into damage, and a lot of that comes from the Auto attack. This means you're forced to get utility elsewhere..... but this is also a problem since your utility skills are tied up in Damage modifiers (sharpening stone, Vulture/Wolf combo, and a Spirit). Outside of Raids/Fractals you can drop the spirit for a utility stance..... any of the 3 are actually good choices. I like Dolyak for stunbreak and stability.

Dagger has the same overall problem as Shortbow, in that it does best when you're not the the one taking aggro. But at least ShB has control skills to if something does happen. Dagger is utterly worthless for defense, and 3 skills is only good for opening or gap closing (no evade in it). Adding insult to injury, Torch is also the only other weapon that doesn't have a defense aspect to it.

Thats why I only use Dagger in group fights against bosses, and use ShortBow the rest of the time for piecing arrows. Bonfire might AOE tag, but its generally better for adding damage to a bigger target. I've actually seen people recommending Shortbow/Shortbow and weapon swap to proc sigils as a form of extra attack. And sadly, this strategy makes more sense then it should.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@"DuckDuckBOOM.4097" said:
Edit: I have no idea if the super speed is actually worth it. The rune came out yesterday but I figured I'd toss it into the discussion.

If they fix it it may be a thing fir scrapper or celebeast.

One more thing is that the common cele runes like traveler, leadership, or weaver(not common but also a leap finisher rune) give +36 to 7 stats. These runes give +60 or 420 stats overall and then a unique bonus. That's a lot for a hybrid build to work with.

Thinking about it a bit more it's definitely scrapper viable.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rapid_RegenerationThey go from 340 x 3 healing at baseline to 350 x 4 healing every time they get super speed. The rune basically replaces a major adept trait of theirs.

Anyhow this is the ranger section. When I think double leap finisher on dagger, I'm thinking of the d3, wh5, d3 combo in smoke fields for 9 seconds of stealth. Since super speed doesn't stack in duration, these runes are a lot weaker for this combo that I first thought. Maybe it has a place in WvW (not available in PvP) roaming if you are actually trying to make the dagger work as an offensive hybrid damage weapon.

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:

Edit: I have no idea if the super speed is actually worth it. The rune came out yesterday but I figured I'd toss it into the discussion.

One more thing is that the common cele runes like traveler, leadership, or weaver(not common but also a leap finisher rune) give +36 to 7 stats. These runes give +60 or 420 stats overall and then a unique bonus. That's a lot for a hybrid build to work with.

Thinking about it a bit more it's definitely scrapper viable.
They go from 340 x 3 healing at baseline to 350 x 4 healing every time they get super speed. The rune basically replaces a major adept trait of theirs.

Anyhow this is the ranger section. When I think double leap finisher on dagger, I'm thinking of the d3, wh5, d3 combo in smoke fields for 9 seconds of stealth. Since super speed doesn't stack in duration, these runes are a lot weaker for this combo that I first thought. Maybe it has a place in WvW (not available in PvP) roaming if you are actually trying to make the dagger work as an offensive hybrid damage weapon.

Well if you think that celebeast already hits 240% crit chance raw with BM and a ferocious pet, think how high it could go with these runes?

@Dace.8173 said:The title says it all. I've recently picked up my languishing Ranger and started working on Soulbeast. I was curious if dagger was actually a good weapon though. It looks fast and fun.

Yes... But you need to Gap close with dag3... You can activate one wolf pack and then a zephyr then dag3, let AA do it's magic... Can also activate sharpen stone skill to inflict punishment... Make sure to stun opponent in PVP before doing this, else he'll dodge and everything will be for nought... Can replace OWP and use entangle vines... Or keep owp and use jacaranda embrace... Then engage...

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

Thinking about it a bit more it's definitely scrapper viable.
They go from 340 x 3 healing at baseline to 350 x 4 healing every time they get super speed. The rune basically replaces a major adept trait of theirs.

Well if you think that celebeast already hits 240% crit chance raw with BM and a ferocious pet, think how high it could go with these runes?

The stats are probably fine. The problem I have is more so when I would want super speed when executing a leap finisher. Aside from the stealth, what field are you leaping through? Bonfire to chase people as they run out of it? Ideally they are immobilized in it. Healing springs? Also don't want to super speed run out of your condi clear.

• 2 months later...

actually the stun should go to dagger #4 so dagger mainhand is free for actual utilities you can use in close combat. In Dagger #3 i would vote for an increased range(it feels shot for a gap closer and the precast\aftercast doesn't help) with evade, and the dagger #2 to rip boons (IMO 2 rips by impact would be fine) so there is a reason to use it. PvE mobs are also using strong boons in PoF, last example in the PoF guild hall or even fighting Veteran Karkas from core Tyria would benefit from this.

Obviously this would be a great addition to PvP modes.

Archived