Is this my first expensive drop? What should I do?

Serak.8394

I've been playing GW2 for a long time, but never have earned more than what I got from selling all the crafting materials I've gathered through these years.Today an exotic rifle "Namot, Nightwhisperer of Severance" dropped for me. I thought - oh, a cool skin! Since I main Mesmer, I went to look at what I can get for it on the trading post...

Apparently there's only one other such rifle there and it's up for 500g. I have barely made almost 200g in my entire GW2 journey, and this listing fee would cost me around 25g, but I don't know if anyone would buy this, and I'm afraid someone will undercut me multiple times by the time it sells for me.

What do you suggest? Is selling it for 499g the best thing to do?

Is this a new item? I can't find any Google results from it.There is only one seller for 500 gold and highest buy order of 10 gold. If this is a new item, I expect the price to drop rapidly. It is pure speculation what the price will be. I would take my chance and put it on a sell order of 200 to 300 gold. When you're lucky you sell it, when you're unlucky you lose your posting fee.

Hmm...it's not listed on the Wiki, or on GW2spidy (a site which tracks sales on the TP) which suggests it's a new item added in PoF.

That makes it hard to gauge the value. It might be a relatively common drop (for a named exotic), like the ones which come from Champion bags in central Tyria and sell for about 5-10g each. Or it might be incredibly rare and valuable.

I'm in a similar position to you as far as gold goes, I once saved up 800g for a precursor but that took me 7 months of not buying anything except essentials like salvage kits. 500g would be a huge amount to me, but 25g is a lot to risk. But if I was in your position I'd put it up for 499g or maybe slightly less (no less than 490g).

Then, I'd leave it there for at least 2 weeks, even if someone undercut me. Watching a listing is a great way to stress yourself out, or worse get into a bidding war where you waste gold on listing fees and convince yourself to settle for less and less money. The TP is not an auction house, it's not a matter of one person winning and everyone else losing - if someone undercuts you that just means theirs will sell first and yours will take longer. It only gets to be a problem if loads of people undercut you.

Maybe the smartest idea is to wait a month or so to see how many of them appear on the auction house and what happens with the price? Maybe that's what others are doing haha!Maybe that safety is worth more than potentially being one of the first to sell it for hundreds of gold? If I don't, then the first listing fee of 25g would far exceed the price of it based on the buy orders...

Here's the screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/rUYgqThe new forum image upload doesn't work for me so it wasn't in the first post.

Looks like it has also appeared on gw2tp.com https://www.gw2tp.com/item/83617-namot-night-whisperer-of-severanceI can't tell if that's some kind of server downtime in the graph or the item has been sold before at that price. In my screenshot it's up for 500g, while it is at this moment up for 500g and 4c!Edit: After further inspection I'm sure they were sold at that price, so I've put mine up there too. Either my biggest sale or biggest loss yet!

It looks like since my post a half a dozen people have dropped them into the market and undercut each other by about a hundred gold or so, leaving the price around 200g while mine is sitting at the top with 499g, and buy orders have risen to 40g.

I guess my best bet is to just wait for the buy orders to rise more and prices to stabilise more before taking it back and losing my 25g. Oh well, I guess this was my lucky waste then! :anguished:

I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes new items tank immediately; sometimes they get pricier if people love the skin. For example, the Lightward's Battlestaff remains 300-400g, even after two years, whereas the equally common/rare Battlehammer is under 30g. It's hard to know whether you should aim high or get out quickly until after. (The way the high rollers avoid that is... they don't. They speculate enough that they have better instincts about the markets and they aren't depending on just a single item for their profit; they can afford to lose some, because they'll also win some.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes new items tank immediately; sometimes they get pricier if people love the skin. For example, the Lightward's Battlestaff remains 300-400g, even after two years, whereas the equally common/rare Battlehammer is under 30g. It's hard to know whether you should aim high or get out quickly until after. (The way the high rollers avoid that is... they don't. They speculate enough that they have better instincts about the markets and they aren't depending on just a single item for their profit; they can afford to lose some, because they'll also win some.)

I still have that staff in my bank. THAT is the skin that would be perfect for a spear should they ever grant us that two-handed weapon.

@"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes new items tank immediately; sometimes they get pricier if people love the skin. For example, the Lightward's Battlestaff remains 300-400g, even after two years, whereas the equally common/rare Battlehammer is under 30g. It's hard to know whether you should aim high or get out quickly until after. (The way the high rollers avoid that is... they don't. They speculate enough that they have better instincts about the markets
and
they aren't depending on just a single item for their profit; they can afford to lose some, because they'll also win some.)

I still have that staff in my bank. THAT is the skin that would be perfect for a spear should they ever grant us that two-handed weapon.

It's in my opinion the best melee staff in the game. It's shiny without being luminous, it's exotic without being ornate, and, it looks like something a Daredevil would use to bash in faces. (Second best is the Dominator's Staff, which looks as if it would cause serious bleeding if wielding incautiously.)

Take the transmog and break it down if it's not useful to you. Stick with crafting and selling on the Trading Post. Berserker exotic gear nets you 8 gold for one piece which is better than dailies or buying gems for gold. Although the Itzel sell boxed gear in HoT where players can select Berserker stats for 1 gold and 500 airship parts. God I miss WoW quests that give you actual gold!

@Trishlicious.2657 said:Looks like there are a variety of pricing depending on server... https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/83617-Namot-Night-Whisperer-of-Severance

There's no variety of pricing based on world. The entire community uses the exact same trading post with the exact same prices. That's one of the features that makes this economy so robust.

Archived