Guide to choosing runes?

I have hit the point where I really need to think about what upgrades I apply to my gear, and am rather overwhelmed at the choices. I've also seen a couple build discussions mention having 4 of one superior rune and 2 of the other, without saying why. Are there any general guides for this?

For what it's worth, I have a level 80 ranger with all the druid & soulbeast stuff unlocked. I've been playing soulbeast in pve so far, but I haven't settled on a particular specialty beyond that. (I haven't even tried druid, I feel there's still too much to learn about playing soulbeast). One guildmate has been talking up condition damage gear, another power gear, and those seem to be the two main builds I've seen mentioned in various discussions. I have found in big fights that I do reasonably well, but that when I am downed, it's usually a one- or two- shot thing. I'm playing with different pets to aid my survivability, but I feel the lack of coherent gear upgrades (and often a lack of any upgrades due to not knowing what to get!) is the major factor right now.

Archived