Are Engineers needed in raids?

inky.7391

I have just started playling Engi and I am really enjoying it but after seeing various discussions, it seems that they aren’t really needed in raids. Is this true? Is there a place for them?

Also, which is better for PvE/PvP Deadeye or Holosmith?

Thankyou!

@inky.7391 said:I have just started playling Engi and I am really enjoying it but after seeing various discussions, it seems that they aren’t really needed in raids. Is this true? Is there a place for them?

Also, which is better for PvE/PvP Deadeye or Holosmith?

Thankyou!

Of course they are needed. Not as much as Chronomancers or Druids, but they can still fit in groups. The engineer is the most difficult profession in the game with the elementalist only being second best. It's the least played profession in the game especially before PoF and even HoT. Holosmith has high damage and heavy CC, Scrapper is a good support and core engineer is avoided due to it having the largest DPS rotation and requires a lot of multi tasking and cooldown memorization.

For PvE, both of these professions are good especially Deadeye because of its' high glass cannon damage. For PvP, Deadeye is worse than Holosmith because it doesn't have the CC capabilities and other utilites. All the Deadeye has is damage and once you get focused, you're done for.

Better is a hard call to make as some of that will come down to player skill. A good Deadeye will have no problem overcoming any shortcomings it may have in PvP and PvE and I've seen them used to deadly effect in PvP. It's ability to stealth in and out of combat really does make it deadly at times. There is also playstyle to consider as even if one was better than the other if it does not suit your playstyle then how good it is overall is moot.

As for whether or not it has a place in raiding I tend to say every profession has a place in raiding. Necro players tell me I'm wrong though.

Holosmith has the best CC in the game after Chronomancers.At least 1 Holosmith is needed in condi-heavy comps.Holosmith has the best cleaving capabilities after Elementalist, and has the best power DPS after Deadeye.Easy~ish.

Scrapper is... not optimal.

Core Engineer is the second best condition DPS after Mirage.I don't know much about it's CC capabilities, but I think it has quite good breakbar damage with all the control condis it has.Has nice cleave.Hard.

@"Imperadordf.2687" said:Core Engineer is the second best condition DPS after Mirage.I don't know much about it's CC capabilities, but I think it has quite good breakbar damage with all the control condis it has.Has nice cleave.Hard.

I don't do PvE Raids, but I can tell from the build there is a lot of soft and hard CC.https://snowcrows.com/raids/engineer/engineer/condition/For Soft-CC, we have granades +shrapnel (all granades cause 3*1s of crippled on 5 enemies), granade-4 is 2s chill on 5, 3 is 5s blind on 5. All Bombs cause 1s crippled on 5 enemies, 4 ticks blind 3 times, 5 causes immobilize 2s on 5 and then ticks crippled 3 times for 1s. pistol-5 also immobilizes 2s 5 enemies and then cripples them 5 times. Then we have mortar which has a chill pulsing ice field and a blind ticking light field. Flamethrower-5 also blinds once. all with pretty low CD.For Hard-CC we have Flamethrower-3 as a 400 cleave-knockback on 5, and big 'ol bomb as a centered 400 launch on 5.

@"Vagrant.7206" said:Not needed more than any other DPS class. Holo has the most reliable high-tier power DPS currently, and condi engi can definitely compete if you know what you're doing.

But any good DPS can take our place too.

Both thief elites are currently the most "reliable" high tier DPS. Then comes Power Soulbeast. It's a solid pick definitelybut not at the top of reliability versus DPS.

@Imperadordf.2687 said:Holosmith has the best CC in the game after Chronomancers.At least 1 Holosmith is needed in condi-heavy comps.Holosmith has the best cleaving capabilities after Elementalist, and has the best power DPS after Deadeye.Easy~ish.

Scrapper is... not optimal.

Core Engineer is the second best condition DPS after Mirage.I don't know much about it's CC capabilities, but I think it has quite good breakbar damage with all the control condis it has.Has nice cleave.Hard.

This is not true. Best power dps after deadeye is still weaver on huge hitbox or Soulbeast on small. Holo is decent though.Renegade is also a super strong condi build now and better on big hitboxes aswell.

Warrior has also way better cc than holo.

Nobody should pick pinpoint anymore. Just play condi yourself when you are on a condi boss.Holo is nowhere the best but one of the most versatile builds. Brings lot of reliable cc and cleave. It really doesn't have a downside besides slightly lower benchmark damage compared to Soulbeast, thief, weaver and renegade.Renegade will fall hard when they fix that retargeting bug anyways.Soulbeast can't target swap that easy. Well he can but dps out of Sick'em is quite low and it's single target and has a 28sec cd. Weaver is garbage on small now.Holo or engineer in general is decent or even very strong on almost all bosses though. It's also one of the best professions to pug fractals with. Good self buffs, debuffs and cc so you are not relying on your supports to enable you like weavers kind of do.

On the question whats better for pve/pvp. Really hard to answer because they both have completely different roles. Pve like fractals Holo is much stronger than thieves in organized groups just because thief has almost no burst and fractals are almost only burst with a good group.In raids Deadeyes are stronger but both are decent now. Also stacking deadeyes on some bosses is because of lack of cleave a really bad idea and daredevil is not that much ahead of holo.In pvp holo is more of a bruiser with sustained damage or support with boon conversion while thief is more of a high mobility decap and gank hero. Less of a dueler. Don't do much pvp especially not with thief so you can correct me on that.If you want to do wvsw both are not that great for zergs but engi has at least a support build with boon conversion. Thief is better for roaming though.

Archived