Should we be able to equip all armour types from the Wardrobe?

Should and could are two different words. Should we? Yes. Can we? ANet says no.

When we started looking at bringing more of the clothing back into armor with mix and match styles there are some fundamental incompatible things between weight classes. (part of how we set up every armor to allow many dye channels and styles per piece).. There really is no way at this point over six years since we started development to make absolutely everything work together.

Edit: here is a post I found on Reddit. It appears to be a player but he gives this explanation

Sojourner202It's complicated, but it has a lot to do with the "hook points" on outfits vs armor. All outfits attach the pants line and the waist line at the same place on the body no matter what. With armors, light armor waists are slightly lower than med armor waists, which are slightly lower than heavy waists (or maybe the other way around? Been a long time since I looked). Once upon a time you were able to, in the preview window, see what a light armor chest would look like with a heavy pants, for instance. It didn't just clip, it sometimes would turn your character model inside out, or cause weird spikes to protrude from your body, or cause your limbs to bend the wrong direction and flop around, or cause your character model to go completely "nude"... it was srsly buggy, and all caused by the waist and pants line trying to line themselves up, and compressing the body in between.That's why we keep getting shoulders, gloves, helmets, and shoes... but usually not chest/pants. They can make a single skin for those across all weights because they attach at the same places... but for chest/pants they have to make two skins per weight period, and attach them differently. Outfits don't require that kind of work-around and so take less time.

I'd certainly enjoy a game where this was possible, but if ANet can afford to devote a huge chunk of resources to improve the wardrobe, this is near the bottom of my list of projects.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Its bad enough with outfits. I don't think they should make it even harder than it is to identify your enemies at a glance.

I'm afraid that ship has sailed, unless you use "standard enemy models"

@chrispy.7182 said:Being able to equip Light, Medium and Heavy armour styles from the Wardrobe would give us so many more styling options.Mathematically? sure, it would increase the number of possible things each character could wear. Practically? Not so much. Leaving out the near-impossibility of being able to mix different weights, the number of skins that actually match aesthetically is relatively low, as can be seen even without mixing weights. Although each person has their own preferences, nearly all of us have rule out a bug chunk of skins because it fails to meet our minimum requirements.

For example, lots of people only want nekkid armor for females, some people want it for males, and there are also sizeable fractions of the community who absolutely don't want that.

Mixing and matching all of them would be so much fun!It would be fun, but, as noted by @Just a flesh wound.3589, it's won't be possible without redesigning the armor system from scratch. I don't think a little fun is worth that much trouble.

Thus for all the effort involved in making such a change, it won't necessarily help a lot of people find the look they want. Assuming all things equal (which they probably aren't), if ANet has excess resources to devote to increasing wardrobe diversity or convenience, I'd rather see

• Wardrobe templates, a way to quick change looks. (Could be in the form of outfits built from existing skins or a 'load out' tool that saves combinations of skins/dyes.)
  • Different artists hired, with completely new aesthetic preferences

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'd certainly enjoy a game where this was possible, but if ANet can afford to devote a huge chunk of resources to improve the wardrobe, this is near the bottom of my list of projects.

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:Its bad enough with outfits. I don't think they should make it even harder than it is to identify your enemies at a glance.

I'm afraid that ship has sailed, unless you use "standard enemy models"I said so myself, but that's to a point.If you see someone wearing a piece of Light armor, not an outfit, you know that person is a light armour profession already. Allowing it to be mixed at random is just making it worse.And honestly, if PvP will ever take off, you'll need to make classes more readable (for streaming), not less.

Archived