[Suggestion] Players unable to see Commander tags, if they do not have chat open.

The Crown Pavilion is a good example of zerg mentality, even when it is counter productive to the whole thing. I suggest making it so that people without map chat open can not even see tags. That way if they have chat open, they will have less of an excuse to ignore commanders trying to organize the event. It might solve the problem outright, but at least the commanders that show up to try and herd cats will know that most of the people that are with them can also see their typing.

To further clarify, this will help to keep people who just follow tags and spam #1 from just zerging to whatever tag they see when being asked not to. Anything to deter this behavior would be helpful.

Probably a really challenging thing to do.

Why would anyone ultimately need an excuse for doing what they want to in a game? You can never know for sure whether they ignore you or can't keep up or whatever else. It sucks, but it is simply part of your challenge.

Half the problem is a lack of commanders.The other half is people donating and starting blitz before everyone is organised.

Usually if you can get enough comms and stop people donating, it'll be fine and organised. Although might still not get gold due to not enough DPS. But at least it won't take forever.

Oh and people need to stop hitting a boss when at 5% until all other bosses are there too.

As long as there is commanders/people leading things, there will always be ppl who don't listen, be it map chat, squad chat, even SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENTS....you'll still get ppl asking you about something you explained 10 times, being annoyed in squad chat you didn't warn them about something you put in a squad announcement and more, etc.

Sadly, there is little to be done about it, you can't force idiots to listen no matter if you give the shortest, clearest explanations possible.

Maybe not hiding tags for people who don't have chat up... (people can close their chat for a number of reasons, not just to ignore people). But what if ... commanders were given the option to hide their tag from people not in the squad. Maybe do it like the WvW reward sharing, and it's only an option after so many folks are in the squad.This has multiple uses, from having a private squad without having to go tagless and lose perks like Lt and markers (this is a fantastic thing for RPers, especially. So many people following the tag and then complaining that it's a "false" tag.), to only permitting those that actually want to participate in on the instruction. It won't be perfect (that's just not possible.) But it could be helpful in reducing the number of random players that follow a tag because it's a tag.

@Airdive.2613 said:

1. Probably a really challenging thing to do.
  2. Why would anyone ultimately need an excuse for doing what they want to in a game? You can never know for sure whether they ignore you or can't keep up or whatever else. It sucks, but it is simply part of your challenge.

@Ephemiel.5694 said:Or the Commanders can actually take command and tell the zergs to spread out before the rush begins.

So you basically excuse the people at fault and blame the commanders? I'm not convinced you've actually even done the event.

@Lexi.1398 said:As long as there is commanders/people leading things, there will always be ppl who don't listen, be it map chat, squad chat, even SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENTS....you'll still get ppl asking you about something you explained 10 times, being annoyed in squad chat you didn't warn them about something you put in a squad announcement and more, etc.

Sadly, there is little to be done about it, you can't force idiots to listen no matter if you give the shortest, clearest explanations possible.

Another excuse in defense of the people making the event more difficult than it has to be. I'm sorry but you all still haven't convinced me of a reason my idea is actually bad. You're just defending those who make it harder on everyone without providing a reasonable counter argument. Only excuses.

@"Sapphire Artemis.3062" said:Maybe not hiding tags for people who don't have chat up... (people can close their chat for a number of reasons, not just to ignore people). But what if ... commanders were given the option to hide their tag from people not in the squad. Maybe do it like the WvW reward sharing, and it's only an option after so many folks are in the squad.This has multiple uses, from having a private squad without having to go tagless and lose perks like Lt and markers (this is a fantastic thing for RPers, especially. So many people following the tag and then complaining that it's a "false" tag.), to only permitting those that actually want to participate in on the instruction. It won't be perfect (that's just not possible.) But it could be helpful in reducing the number of random players that follow a tag because it's a tag.

Finally one that's an idea and not simply an excuse. Exactly. It wont be perfect, but better than nothing.

@Cercie.1025 said:

2. Why would anyone ultimately need an excuse for doing what they want to in a game? You can never know for sure whether they ignore you or can't keep up or whatever else. It sucks, but it is simply part of your challenge.

@Ephemiel.5694 said:Or the Commanders can actually take command and tell the zergs to spread out before the rush begins.

So you basically excuse the people at fault and blame the commanders? I'm not convinced you've actually even done the event.

@Lexi.1398 said:As long as there is commanders/people leading things, there will always be ppl who don't listen, be it map chat, squad chat, even SQUAD ANNOUNCEMENTS....you'll still get ppl asking you about something you explained 10 times, being annoyed in squad chat you didn't warn them about something you put in a squad announcement and more, etc.

Another excuse in defense of the people making the event more difficult than it has to be. I'm sorry but you all still haven't convinced me of a reason my idea is actually bad. You're just defending those who make it harder on everyone without providing a reasonable counter argument. Only excuses.

@"Sapphire Artemis.3062" said:Maybe not hiding tags for people who don't have chat up... (people can close their chat for a number of reasons, not just to ignore people). But what if ... commanders were given the option to
hide their tag from people not in the squad
. Maybe do it like the WvW reward sharing, and it's only an option after so many folks are in the squad.This has multiple uses, from having a private squad without having to go tagless and lose perks like Lt and markers (this is a fantastic thing for RPers, especially. So many people following the tag and then complaining that it's a "false" tag.), to only permitting those that actually want to participate in on the instruction. It won't be perfect (that's just not possible.) But it could be helpful in reducing the number of random players that follow a tag because it's a tag.

Finally one that's an idea and not simply an excuse. Exactly. It wont be perfect, but better than nothing.

Well yes, i'd blame the guys that want to take charge for not taking charge.

@Cercie.1025 said:

Har har. Ironically, I even led Kuraii and we had made it to gold once (at which point everyone stopped caring and the organized crowd disappeared).Anyway, the event was completed quite reliably in 2014, and there's nothing new preventing you from doing it now. Do you as a commander do everything in your power to help the event? Do you bring reflects to Pyroxis, do you teach people to stand on the ledge next to him? Do you bring stability to Kuraii? Do you revive people at Sparcus?And then there's personality. I, for one, would not like to join the commander who blames me for the sake of blaming. Get over it. Few people want a childish commander to lead them.

(edited for I keep confusing 2013 for 2014)

@Cercie.1025 said:Another excuse in defense of the people making the event more difficult than it has to be. I'm sorry but you all still haven't convinced me of a reason my idea is actually bad. You're just defending those who make it harder on everyone without providing a reasonable counter argument. Only excuses.

As a commander, there's very few places where I care about ppl mindlessly following my tag - in fact, i'd go as far as to say there's only two things where this does any major harm that actually happens (as opposed to theoretically happens- eg one tag AB succeeds more often than not, there's a lot of theoretical damage this does but i rarely see it outside of these:) and one is serpents ire, and one is a limited time event that hasn't been available for 4 years...and as both a commander and a zergling, my experience is that there will always be people that conveniently ignore everything someone can do in their power to teach others how to do something and then get mad at other people despite the information being available in excess.

The problem i see with the hiding tags to those who don't have map chat on-1 people will join squads/turn map chat on and still not listen. I can tell you countless times where people straight up ignore squad announcements- the most visible thing commanders can do. Basically- it feels like a restriction that has no upside- the same crowd that already ignores this stuff will continue to ignore it meanwhile 2 happens:2 it also excludes people who do know what they're doing. i wouldn't want my tag to be hidden to anyone unless i CHOSE to...and i rarely chose to, because i know there's always a bunch of people doing something right who don't want to join squad for any large number of reasons, and that's a circle that overlaps with a bunch of people who only turn on map chat when they need to due to rudeness, lewdness etc in map that they don't want to see. essentially, tag gets hidden from helpful people with good intentions.

Re: another suggestion for choice hiding tag. Sure, while it's not something i'd use a lot/if at all, it doesn't force hide anyones tag ever, and brings a benefit to people. I have no issue with commanders chosing to hide their tags if it were possible- i do have an issue with that being forced by the game.

@Airdive.2613 said:

@"Ephemiel.5694" said:Or the Commanders can actually take command and tell the zergs to spread out before the rush begins.

Har har. Ironically, I even led Kuraii and we had made it to gold once (at which point everyone stopped caring and the organized crowd disappeared).Anyway, the event was completed quite reliably in 2014, and there's nothing new preventing you from doing it now. Do you as a commander do everything in your power to help the event? Do you bring reflects to Pyroxis, do you teach people to stand on the ledge next to him? Do you bring stability to Kuraii? Do you revive people at Sparcus?And then there's personality. I, for one, would not like to join the commander who blames me for the sake of blaming. Get over it. Few people want a childish commander to lead them.

(edited for I keep confusing 2013 for 2014)

I don't understand your hostility or what you think I'm blaming you for if you're organizing it yourself. We should be on the same side cause I don't understand why you're against it at all. I only suggested things that might improve on the event. I'm sorry if that offends you for some reason. I agree the event was completed reliably 4 years ago, but you are most certainly wrong if you think it's easy to organize it to get gold now. I know how all the mechanics work. If you must know I do know the boss mechanics and how to fight them. Not that it has anything whatsoever to do with this thread. Why be mad at me simply because I don't accept your "deal with it" response? That is the point of a suggestion thread. To have alternatives instead of just dealing with things. Doesn't make me childish to want to make it easier on people. If you like 30 people zerging on one boss at a time, I'm not going to stop you. I'm going to keep suggesting ways to improve it. I agree people don't want a childish commander. Good words to think on during the 45 minute boss blitz.

@Lexi.1398 said:

@Cercie.1025 said:Another excuse in defense of the people making the event more difficult than it has to be. I'm sorry but you all still haven't convinced me of a reason my idea is actually bad. You're just defending those who make it harder on everyone without providing a reasonable counter argument. Only excuses.

As a commander, there's very few places where I care about ppl mindlessly following my tag - in fact, i'd go as far as to say there's only two things where this does any major harm that actually happens (as opposed to theoretically happens- eg one tag AB succeeds more often than not, there's a lot of theoretical damage this does but i rarely see it outside of these:) and one is serpents ire, and one is a limited time event that hasn't been available for 4 years...and as both a commander and a zergling, my experience is that there will always be people that conveniently ignore everything someone can do in their power to teach others how to do something and then get mad at other people despite the information being available in excess.

The problem i see with the hiding tags to those who don't have map chat on-1 people will join squads/turn map chat on and still not listen. I can tell you countless times where people straight up ignore squad announcements- the most visible thing commanders can do. Basically- it feels like a restriction that has no upside- the same crowd that already ignores this stuff will continue to ignore it meanwhile 2 happens:2 it also excludes people who do know what they're doing. i wouldn't want my tag to be hidden to anyone unless i CHOSE to...and i rarely chose to, because i know there's always a bunch of people doing something right who don't want to join squad for any large number of reasons, and that's a circle that overlaps with a bunch of people who only turn on map chat when they need to due to rudeness, lewdness etc in map that they don't want to see. essentially, tag gets hidden from helpful people with good intentions.

Re: another suggestion for choice hiding tag. Sure, while it's not something i'd use a lot/if at all, it doesn't force hide anyones tag ever, and brings a benefit to people. I have no issue with commanders chosing to hide their tags if it were possible- i do have an issue with that being forced by the game.

I can see your point of making it optional. That'd actually work out much better.

Archived