Hidden Thief

ParanoidKami.2867

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hidden_Thief

With the current speed increase I'm having trouble landing backstabs with it. People randomly dodge roll, which puts some distance between and you can't catch up with only 50% extra movement speed. It would make it much more reliable with a 100% increase in movement speed like superspeed. I don't see this becoming overpowered as there aren't any powerful Shadow Arts builds I'm aware of.

Also, Shadow Protector seems useless :persevere:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Protector

Are you playing D/P or D/D?

If you're D/P, you can use Shadow Shot and pre-cast Backstab before Shadow Shot's projectile hits. It's clunky, and you have to be fast with the Backstab, but it does work. Alternatively, it is possible to use Shadow Shot to get the teleport, but cancel the dagger attack portion by stowing weapons, though this is also clunky.

The problem is if the target dodges, you may miss with Shadow Shot, thus missing the Backstab also. Yes, it's just one of a number of problems of a melee Thief.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:Are you playing D/P or D/D?

If you're D/P, you can use Shadow Shot and pre-cast Backstab before Shadow Shot's projectile hits. It's clunky, and you have to be fast with the Backstab, but it does work. Alternatively, it is possible to use Shadow Shot to get the teleport, but cancel the dagger attack portion by stowing weapons, though this is also clunky.

The problem is if the target dodges, you may miss with Shadow Shot, thus missing the Backstab also. Yes, it's just one of a number of problems of a melee Thief.

D/P and I can do the 3 backstab with it. I just use a lot of initiative that way.

I mean, stealth is a potentially a powerful tool in pvp (arguably more so in WvW). There's got to be some challenge to using it. As it stands, with the right setup and approach, there's minimal risk/reward - sure, if you fluff it you're likely to get slapped if not for some luck and/or quick play but otherwise, the power of getting to choose targets and when and where to attack is something to be valued.

Point being - Stealth, invisible-mode stealth as in GW2, is by its very design can be perceived as being cheap and can offer little counterplay, which can lead to a very frustrating experience for anyone without the tools to counter it. Anything that's regarded as making attacks from stealth/using stealth 'easier' is going to recieve a lot of kick back.

So why I'd welcome a QOL boost such as you propose, I wouldn't hold my breath in it coming anytime soon.

@Scud.5067 said:I mean, stealth is a potentially a powerful tool in pvp (arguably more so in WvW). There's got to be some challenge to using it. As it stands, with the right setup and approach, there's minimal risk/reward - sure, if you fluff it you're likely to get slapped if not for some luck and/or quick play but otherwise, the power of getting to choose targets and when and where to attack is something to be valued.

Point being - Stealth, invisible-mode stealth as in GW2, is by its very design can be perceived as being cheap and can offer little counterplay, which can lead to a very frustrating experience for anyone without the tools to counter it. Anything that's regarded as making attacks from stealth/using stealth 'easier' is going to recieve a lot of kick back.

So why I'd welcome a QOL boost such as you propose, I wouldn't hold my breath in it coming anytime soon.

Fair enough, I understand your point. Guess I was just a bit mad that meta sPvP builds weren't very stealth based. I can try changing how I use stealth to try and make my non-meta build work.

Shadow Protector is still useless though :)

@Scud.5067 said:I mean, stealth is a potentially a powerful tool in pvp (arguably more so in WvW). There's got to be some challenge to using it. As it stands, with the right setup and approach, there's minimal risk/reward - sure, if you fluff it you're likely to get slapped if not for some luck and/or quick play but otherwise, the power of getting to choose targets and when and where to attack is something to be valued.

I changed my mind after some more testing. You can't catch up to people who are moving away and have swiftness. The trait line also doesn't increase damage so you're looking at backstabs that only do 5-6k. The entire point of the trait is so you can catch up to people or run away, but it doesn't allow you to.

@ParanoidKami.2867 said:

@Scud.5067 said:I mean, stealth is a potentially a powerful tool in pvp
(arguably more so in WvW)
. There's got to be some challenge to using it. As it stands, with the right setup and approach, there's minimal risk/reward - sure, if you fluff it you're likely to get slapped if not for some luck and/or quick play but otherwise, the power of getting to choose targets and when and where to attack is something to be valued.

I changed my mind after some more testing. You can't catch up to people who are moving away and have swiftness. The trait line also doesn't increase damage so you're looking at backstabs that only do 5-6k. The entire point of the trait is so you can catch up to people or run away, but it doesn't allow you to.

It won’t let you run away in a straight line but it will let you reposition more easily while your opponent can’t see you. There’s not really a good reason to make it impossible for an enemy to flat out outrun you while in stealth, because stealth is already an advantage.

As to the purpose behind it I think it’s more defensive rather than offensive. SA is highly defensive and perma-stealth-superspeed seems more offensive than defensive.

Archived