Edited Title : Thief is Mostly useless in sPvP, with a few exceptions still handled better by others

Crab Fear.1624

@revox.8273 said:you know...sindrener proves that thief is still amazing if played rightdont need to bash thief if u are no good with the class

a genius isnt the average player..didnt he stream wow a few days ago?

also show me some video sir, of you rocking the mic.

i need a thief savior, and it seems lord sind has left us

said in my loudest Wallace Shawn voice

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@revox.8273 said:you know...sindrener proves that thief is still amazing if played rightdont need to bash thief if u are no good with the class

You need a video to keep practicing?

I mean.. I guess that could work. Learning from example.

I don't think thief is useless. A daredevil with shortbow will always be the fastest around the map which helps with decapping. Decap can be very important as it not only slows down enemy points but can also split the enemy team up which can be an advantage for you. Thief also helps with stealthing the team and using Basilik Venom for a great opening. Thief is also arguably the best class at +1s due to it's high speed and powerful bursts. Helping to create 2v1 opportunities and slapping your opponent is helpful.

So it may not be the 1v1 master duelist (like mesmer) or bunker who can sustain a 2v1 if they're good (elementalist), but us thieves have our uses. Not to mention a smart deadeye is deadly in several situations, at least in gold or lower (haven't been in platinum or higher so I don't know).

Also, since you don't want to see that particular thief in action, how about Vallun or Happy No?

@King Nutella.4570 said:I don't think thief is useless. A daredevil with shortbow will always be the fastest around the map which helps with decapping. Decap can be very important as it not only slows down enemy points but can also split the enemy team up which can be an advantage for you. Thief also helps with stealthing the team and using Basilik Venom for a great opening. Thief is also arguably the best class at +1s due to it's high speed and powerful bursts. Helping to create 2v1 opportunities and slapping your opponent is helpful.

So it may not be the 1v1 master duelist (like mesmer) or bunker who can sustain a 2v1 if they're good (elementalist), but us thieves have our uses. Not to mention a smart deadeye is deadly in several situations, at least in gold or lower (haven't been in platinum or higher so I don't know).

Also, since you don't want to see that particular thief in action, how about Vallun or Happy No? Both have recent videos. In fact Happy No uploaded a daredevil d/p video today.

@Scud.5067 said:

analyzing video is how alot of people get better at competitve activities, its not an unusual thing. as far as i know there is only 1 brain in my skull, seeing how others think and play (when they are really good) inspires me. of course practice makes you better, but ....why am i even explaining this

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:Low effort troll post, try harder

Thousands of people disagree with you, there is no need to prove you right. Give us some evidence it sucks first, because it seems to be doing fine judging by all those complaints

you are thousands of people, or how many people use your account?

Open your eyes, there are several threads about thief and there have been countless ones complaining about them. You're the one guy saying they suck, against all those people saying it's broken. I don't think neither side is correct, but you're just giving snarky replies. Sad!

@King Nutella.4570 said:I don't think thief is useless. A daredevil with shortbow will always be the fastest around the map which helps with decapping. Decap can be very important as it not only slows down enemy points but can also split the enemy team up which can be an advantage for you. Thief also helps with stealthing the team and using Basilik Venom for a great opening. Thief is also arguably the best class at +1s due to it's high speed and powerful bursts. Helping to create 2v1 opportunities and slapping your opponent is helpful.

Also, since you don't want to see that particular thief in action, how about Vallun or Happy No?

I like all of their videos, and am subbed to all of them on YT at least. I'll check out Happy's video about D/P, get some tips for the current weather.

Thieves, even now, > @Crab Fear.1624 said:

Their only relevancy is short bow, and for a good mes...it is overcame easily

prove me wrong with video from 15 day ago and forward ( no wvw)

no Sindrener videos

Thieves, even now, are not useless in sPvP.However, I agree how obvious it is that without shortbow they would have literally nothing to add in a match. Without shortbow to do the decaps they are just 'less dmg and less survivability than any other profession' mode.

Even with S/D it's difficult to do 1v1s or team fights versus half decent players, as Thief is once again slowly pushed back to +1 only.

Tl;drIt's shortbow, why Thief is not useless. Anyway with it's fighting potential being decreased, then even the +1 is becoming very negligible in comparison to what can be done with other profession instead, making Thief not useless as long as they have the Shortbow.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

analyzing video is how alot of people get better at competitve activities, its not an unusual thing. as far as i know there is only 1 brain in my skull, seeing how others think and play (when they are really good) inspires me. of course practice makes you better, but ....why am i even explaining this

Then rather than making baseless claims that x class is useless, simply state you want videos to learn from.

You're more likely to get videos from which you can learn to play from and less likely to the usual barrage of folks disagreeing with you for x,y and z reasons.

@Alatar.7364 said:Thieves, even now, > @Crab Fear.1624 said:

Their only relevancy is short bow, and for a good mes...it is overcame easily

no Sindrener videos

Thieves, even now, are not useless in sPvP.However, I agree how obvious it is that without shortbow they would have literally nothing to add in a match. Without shortbow to do the decaps they are just
'less dmg and less survivability than any other profession' mode

Even with S/D it's difficult to do 1v1s or team fights versus half decent players, as Thief is once again slowly pushed back to +1 only.

Tl;dr
It's shortbow, why Thief is not useless. Anyway with it's fighting potential being decreased, then even the +1 is becoming very negligible in comparison to what can be done with other profession instead, making Thief not useless as long as they have the Shortbow.

A conclusion that was reached years ago, sadly. Kind of the same situation we have with shadowstep and OH pistol and stealth as well.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Yeah I'm playing wow too and last Friday I was in a BG and there he was in my team playing as an assassination rogue. xD

@"revox.8273" said:you know...sindrener proves that thief is still amazing if played right with a good team

FIFY

The Thief is 100% a support class, unfortunately. Without a decent team, a Thief is a complete liability. It doesn't matter how fast a Thief can run if there's nowhere to run to. And that happens when your teammates either go down or don't rotate well.

A bunker can hold a point on its own. A duelist can contest a point on its own. True support classes can keep teammates alive or lock several opponents down.The Thief can do absolutely none of that. the only "support" it brings is extra damage against a single target. Everything else is out of combat.

The Thief is like a placekicker in American Football. It makes absolutely no impact on the game unless the team can get into a position to score. You're much better off replacing it on the roster with good quarterback or even a punter. But alas, the Thief can't even punt worth a flip.

At the beginning of every match, if one team has a Thief and the other doesn't, it's an automatic 4.5v5 match. It's up to the Thief player and the rest of the team to make up for that .5 deficit. The Thief, unlike most other professions, is the outlier to a match. It's the "Jokers Wild" card of the team. It can determine the outcome of an otherwise even match, but it cannot balance the match... it cannot make a bad team good. And sadly, there's no real build for a Thief to effectively take another role.

I should of gave up on thief years ago when it was apparent that the class would not take advantage of backstab positional play in any meaningful way. The skill set required to play thief is so far removed from what an assassin class is supposed to be. Thief is relegated to quirk moves like 180 turns to take advantage of the wonky rifle kit, shadowshot>facebackstabs, nibble port nibble with S/x, oh and lets not forget pve bs like the staff rotation that required staff 2 just to do decent damage. It is definitely not the class that was advertised at the beginning of the game. It's the furthest from the original description than all other classes.

Every change was like needles in my back; from extra dodges, to high damage autos.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:Their only relevancy is short bow, and for a good mes...it is overcame easily

no Sindrener videos

Your premise is invalid.

In sPvP, there is no useless Thief, there is only useless team composition.

You have shown no proof of your conclusion;

• Thief's only relevancy is shortbow
  • a good Mesmer easily overcomes a Thief

Thus the lack of validity of your premise and the lack of proof to support your conclusion already proved you wrong.

About sPvP;

• What's the point of a Daredevil D/P decapping and +1 if your team can't win a team fight?
  • What's the point of fighting a team fight when your Daredevil D/P is not dealing enough damage?
  • What's the point of fighting a team fight when your team is not dealing enough damage?
  • What's the point of fighting a team fight where your Deadeye D/P deals a lot of damage but the rest of your team are downed?
  • etc.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:Their only relevancy is short bow, and for a good mes...it is overcame easily

no Sindrener videos

Your premise is invalid.

In sPvP, there is no useless Thief, there is only useless team composition.

You have shown no proof of your conclusion;
  • Thief's only relevancy is shortbow
  • a good Mesmer easily overcomes a Thief

Thus the lack of validity of your premise and the lack of proof to support your conclusion already proved you wrong.

About sPvP;
  • What's the point of a Daredevil D/P decapping and +1 if your team can't win a team fight?
  • What's the point of fighting a team fight when your Daredevil D/P is not dealing enough damage?
  • What's the point of fighting a team fight when your team is not dealing enough damage?
  • What's the point of fighting a team fight where your Deadeye D/P deals a lot of damage but the rest of your team are downed?
  • etc.

Thief's only relevancy is shortbow.

You created a different argument, but have not proven anything wrong.

I guess I should say that their is no such thing as a thief with a use, and now the burden lies on you to prove to me that there is a thief with a use. And yes, that's how it works ...just like the God argument.

@"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:About sPvP;

• etc.

I believe that's just an alternate way of putting it. The Thief depends on its team to be useful. If the team is not useful, then the Thief is useless. At least, more useless than other professions. If a team's composition is useless because it includes a Thief, then the Thief is the variable that is responsible for the uselessness.

However, I won't say that a Thief is useless. I will say that a Thief is, in general, the least useful (or at least in the lowest tier) in a team's effort in Conquest. It may be the most annoying, but that's quite different.

A bad player is a bad player. But even bad players can be more effective with other professions than they can be with the Thief. A decent player will be more effective with another profession if the team is not good. A great player with a Thief can put a great team over the top. But finding a great team is rare, and combining a great player on Thief with that team is even more rare.

I find it rather amusing, though, seeing that the Thief was designed as a selfish loner class. Yet it is shoehorned into a team game with no true role. If both teams were required to have Thieves, I'd understand, things would be even. But why risk taking a Thief when you probably won't be playing on a great team? A stronger, more individualistic class would be wiser... one that can impose its will on the opposing team where it counts in Conquest, combat. Kill the other guy, take his node. When he comes back, kill him again.

I keep going back to the Quidditch comparison. The Thief is like the Seeker. The problem is that there is no Golden Snitch in Conquest. And there's no dedicated position for a Seeker. A team is usually better off by taking another dedicated Keeper or Beater or Chaser depending on the opposing composition... much more so than trying to make a Seeker play like something it's not.

So while the Thief may not be "useless," it is extremely niche, and equally as risky. In Poker terms, the Thief is like the card of an inside straight draw.

Archived