The most "artificial epic" fight because it has to "feel epic"?

I just did LSW4, Episode 2 to unlock the related map - maaaaan, the last fight against this golem did not feel epic at all, just necessary but boring like nothing else. I was buffed to 38k hp, 1 hit from the golem slurped away 36k, then there's an auto-invulnerability+revive mechanic when I'm in downstate - in the midst I stopped using my healing skills, because it was obvious they couldn't save me. I even stopped to use any other skill than auto-attack, because no matter what I did before I always was hit to doom + instantly revived. There seemed to be no other sense in this fight than to prolong it as much as possible. This fight was the most "artificial epic" one I ever encountered in GW2 so far. I hope I won't ever have to repeat this one or a similar one with another character. It didn't feel epic, it didn't feel right, it didn't even feel ok, it was just inevitably there.

I mean, you have to repeat it on other characters if you want to take them through the story. When it comes to his attacks though...dodge them? the first time i did that fight i struggled a bit because i didnt know which attacks hit hard, not all of them do however.

The last fight is Lonai (Joko's commander), I don't recall any golem in that story instance.

Are you talking about the one in the second mission, at the council chamber of the Olmakhan elders? In that case, what you need to do is kill the small golems, pick up their energy and use it against the big golem several times (see special key), by which you "electrify" and weaken the big guy. Do this until it spawns its actual energy source, another small golem (I am bad at memorizing names, sorry), which you can destroy in about two goes.

As a person who does stories multiple times on every profession, I can say that these stories are tuned often to be more like raids. I mean not as difficult as raids, obviously, but they're meant to be end game content in a game that has no required end game content except for story. Even then if you have teleports to a friend, you can bypass story.

The first time, without knowing mechanics, these stories are hard, like a raid or dungeon. But the more you do them, the easier they get...when you learn the mechanics. Ashantara did a good job of describing the mechanics. I repeat the stories because they are challenging to learn and once you learn them, they become easier, giving me a better understanding of how to play the game.

The one and done crowd are obviously going to find it harder, because they tend to do it once and be done with it.

A dev recently said that a good player outputs about 500% more damage than an average player. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons there's so much discrepancy in the way people view these stories. There are ways to get better at the game for people who want to.

Always happy to help people on US servers with learning the game, or story missions they're having trouble wrapping their minds around.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:The last fight is Lonai (Joko's commander), I don't recall any golem in that story instance.

Are you talking about the one in the second mission, at the council chamber of the Olmakhan elders? In that case, what you need to do is kill the small golems, pick up their energy and use it against the big golem several times (see special key), by which you "electrify" and weaken the big guy. Do this until it spawns its actual energy source, another small golem (I am bad at memorizing names, sorry), which you can destroy in about two goes.

Likely the one with Taimi trapped. Only golem boss I can think of this season that was even remotely dangerous.

Oh nvm. Re-read their post and they are talking about the one in the village.

@Vayne.8563 said:As a person who does stories multiple times on every profession, I can say that these stories are tuned often to be more like raids. I mean not as difficult as raids, obviously, but they're meant to be end game content in a game that has no required end game content except for story. Even then if you have teleports to a friend, you can bypass story.

The first time, without knowing mechanics, these stories are hard, like a raid or dungeon. But the more you do them, the easier they get...when you learn the mechanics. Ashantara did a good job of describing the mechanics. I repeat the stories because they are challenging to learn and once you learn them, they become easier, giving me a better understanding of how to play the game.

The one and done crowd are obviously going to find it harder, because they tend to do it once and be done with it.

A dev recently said that a good player outputs about 500% more damage than an average player. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons there's so much discrepancy in the way people view these stories. There are ways to get better at the game for people who want to.

Always happy to help people on US servers with learning the game, or story missions they're having trouble wrapping their minds around.

500%? thats a insanely huge difference!!!

@Dante.1763 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:As a person who does stories multiple times on every profession, I can say that these stories are tuned often to be more like raids. I mean not as difficult as raids, obviously, but they're meant to be end game content in a game that has no required end game content except for story. Even then if you have teleports to a friend, you can bypass story.

I am certain that 30% of the player base only ever use their auto attack skills and nothing else.

And I don't want to know how many of them have auto attack disabled and click on it to use it

@Blocki.4931 said:

I am certain that 30% of the player base only ever use their auto attack skills and nothing else.

I love statistics

@Malafaia.8903 said:

I love statistics

I'll make sure to include the asterisk that disclaims the joke next time

I don't think it would be too far off though ;)

@"Blocki.4931" said:I am certain that 30% of the player base only ever use their auto attack skills and nothing else.

And I don't want to know how many of them have auto attack disabled and click on it to use it

Are you aware that you are being pretty arrogant when it comes to player skill? (Like when you called the Turai Ossa challenge "the easiest fight of my life.") Just because your skill might be above average (due to a young age and faster reflexes, I assume) doesn't make others total nitwits.

I don't know about you, but I know more players that play this game properly than those that play like the way you depict.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:I am certain that 30% of the player base only ever use their auto attack skills and nothing else.

Do you notice that you are being pretty arrogant when it comes to player skill? (Like when you called the Turai Ossa challenge "the easiest fight of my life.") Just because your skill might be above average (due to a young age and faster reflexes, I assume) doesn't make the rest of this community total nitwits.

I don't know about you, but I know more players that play this game properly than those that play like the way you depict.

Lol

No, it wasn't the 'easiest fight of my life', but it wasn't exactly hard either without any gambits active. After 3 attempts I realized you had to run and dodge the throw. After that the fight LITERALLY turns into the Golem from S4Ep2- I 100 to 0'd him in around 10 seconds maybe? He takes such massive bonus damage it really isn't hard. The thing is that this just like the golem fight, where so many people were unable to pick up on the mechanic the entire instance has taught you that it was subsequently nerfed.

I'm not implying that I am a good player, I am implying that my standard for what is difficult varies greatly to that of people who play at 10% of their potential because they only use a single skill and don't read descriptions.

That was an exaggeration with just enough truth in it to get people where it stings. But I will make sure to use fluffier words next time and mark jokes as such to avoid any confusion.

Elitism bonus round: I don't think people who don't bother thinking about their builds should complain, ever. I don't go into a setting, do the absolute least amount of work and then complain it's unfair

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Are you aware that you are being pretty arrogant when it comes to player skill? (Like when you called the Turai Ossa challenge "the easiest fight of my life.") Just because your skill might be above average (due to a young age and faster reflexes, I assume) doesn't make others total nitwits.

All you have to do is stand around and watch people play. It's amazing how many people don't know how to break a bar, or how many people don't know what a skill combo is, or don't know they can stack might to do more damage. Thieves running around who don't realize the autoattack generally does more damage if you're stealthed.

I run a casual guild and the number of people I have to teach game basics too, even people who have been playing for years, is pretty high.

@"Lanhelin.3480" said:I just did LSW4, Episode 2 to unlock the related map - maaaaan, the last fight against this golem did not feel epic at all, just necessary but boring like nothing else. I was buffed to 38k hp, 1 hit from the golem slurped away 36k, then there's an auto-invulnerability+revive mechanic when I'm in downstate - in the midst I stopped using my healing skills, because it was obvious they couldn't save me. I even stopped to use any other skill than auto-attack, because no matter what I did before I always was hit to doom + instantly revived. There seemed to be no other sense in this fight than to prolong it as much as possible. This fight was the most "artificial epic" one I ever encountered in GW2 so far. I hope I won't ever have to repeat this one or a similar one with another character. It didn't feel epic, it didn't feel right, it didn't even feel ok, it was just inevitably there.

I hate to say it, but most of them feel like that to me to some extent. Mechanics that make no logical story sense but are there because the devs think they're "cool." Attack patterns that are there to make you move in designated patterns, but for no real story reason. Half of the time, I'm sort of stunned by what I've come to think of as "story shock." You know, something hits you that makes absolutely no sense, that feels totally unpredictable. I'm left both with a billion questions above and beyond, "What the kitten was that?"

And that's where story shock sets in-- basically a bombardment of questions that keeps me from trying to survive. "What's this mechanic?" "Why on earth would this boss do that?" "Who thought this made sense when designing the encounter?" "Is there precedent for this in the lore?" "Who thought this would be fun?" Instead of dodging, I stand there befuddled for a bit. Because there are no answers to any of those questions that will make sense.

@"Vayne.8563" said:As a person who does stories multiple times on every profession, I can say that these stories are tuned often to be more like raids. I mean not as difficult as raids, obviously, but they're meant to be end game content in a game that has no required end game content except for story. Even then if you have teleports to a friend, you can bypass story.

I think there's a lot of insight in what you're saying about being like raids. Raiding definitely comes with a certain mindset, so far as I can tell. Not to mention a specific set of practices that I think are second nature to anyone who's spent any time doing it. Those aren't SOP so far as I know to more casual folks or story-only, solo-only players. I think a lot of the "shock" comes from things that are inherent in a primarily story player's mindset: immersion, going with the flow of the storytelling, a certain identification with your character.

Here are a couple I noticed once when I watched a replay of ye olde Big B battle:1) Keeping the camera zoomed out so far you can see the entire field. I don't. I don't think a lot of more casual immersion-oriented people do either. Too much zoom-out and I don't feel connected to my character anymore. Yet, you miss a lot of the safe spots in various battles because you can't see them.

2) A sense of radical acceptance of whatever happens. It doesn't seem to matter to most raider-oriented people whether a mechanic makes sense or not. It's just there. You just learn it then deal with it. After that, you enjoy pinning down the most efficient way to deal with it. If it's cool and fun and challenging, you love it. Then you do it over and over until you've tweaked your performance to perfection.

^TBH, #2 is what gets me the most ;) Because I like everything to make story-logical sense. I can't just cultivate radical acceptance. It's not happening. Questions and analysis paralysis are second nature.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

I love statistics

73% of statistics on the internet are made up on the spot.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

I love statistics

93.4% chance you are correct

@Randulf.7614 said:

I love statistics

93.4% chance you are correct

And a 100% chance to remember the name

@Ashantara.8731 said:

frankly, being middle aged myself, I consider this untrue. Reflexes and age are really not that relevant in this game. This is not Starcraft professional tournament, you don`t need insane reaction times to succeed. I don´t know if Blocki's claim is exaggerated, but there is certainly a huge amount of players not bothering with even the most basic aspects of the combat mechanics.

@Algreg.3629 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Are you aware that you are being pretty arrogant when it comes to player skill? (Like when you called the Turai Ossa challenge "the easiest fight of my life.") Just because your skill might be above average (due to a young age and faster reflexes, I assume) doesn't make others total nitwits.

frankly, being middle aged myself, I consider this untrue. Reflexes and age are really not that relevant in this game. This is not Starcraft professional tournament, you don`t need insane reaction times to succeed.

You completely misinterpreted the point of my post. It wasn't to say that you had to have super reflexes etc. like a 16-year old to succeed in gaming (I know mine are still very sharp, and I am beyond 40 myself). I was just pointing out that bragging about your skill by calling fights that most consider challenging "oh so easy", and then, on top of that, downright insulting others is pretty pitiful and very disrespectful and immature.

@Algreg.3629 said:I don´t know if Blocki's claim is exaggerated, but there is certainly a huge amount of players not bothering with even the most basic aspects of the combat mechanics.

Frankly, I haven't met many who, after playing this game for a couple of months, or even several years, still bear that state of mind. I come across the occasional "noob player" myself, but instead of pointing fingers, I offer friendly advice, and you'd be surprised how many are willing to learn but feel kind of lost without guidance (and proper website links ;) ).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Are you aware that you are being pretty arrogant when it comes to player skill? (Like when you called the Turai Ossa challenge "the easiest fight of my life.") Just because your skill might be above average (due to a young age and faster reflexes, I assume) doesn't make others total nitwits.

frankly, being middle aged myself, I consider this untrue. Reflexes and age are really not that relevant in this game. This is not Starcraft professional tournament, you don`t need insane reaction times to succeed.

You completely misinterpreted the point of my post. It wasn't to say that you
had
to have super reflexes etc. like a 16-year old to succeed in gaming (I know mine are still very sharp, and I am beyond 40 myself). I was just pointing out that bragging about your skill by calling fights that most consider challenging "oh so easy", and then, on top of that, downright insulting others is pretty pitiful and very disrespectful and immature.

@Algreg.3629 said:I don´t know if Blocki's claim is exaggerated, but there is certainly a huge amount of players not bothering with even the most basic aspects of the combat mechanics.

Frankly, I haven't met many who, after playing this game for a couple of months, or even several years, still bear that state of mind. I come across the occasional "noob player" myself, but instead of pointing fingers, I offer friendly advice, and you'd be surprised how many are willing to learn but feel kind of lost without guidance (and proper website links ;) ).
  • Good thing you take that effort (no irony there). My experiences have been completely opposite most of the time, far beyond GW: Whenever I see even the most friendly advice offered, the reaction is usually rude. Everyone deserves benefit of doubt and some explanations/guidance - but more often than not, it is completely ignored at best. Like dealing with your teenage kids "that's like your stupid opinion, DAD! I don't wanna." Or more like the everyday life of an elementary school teacher "Please don't".... does (current Boss Blitz a wonderful example of this :P )
  • yeah, boasting is kinda annoying in all aspects of life
  • "Oh so easy" is a bad setup for boasting. I´d start with "was really hard, but I made it of cause". :)

Summary: Blocki could voice it less offending, but he is still spot on.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Are you aware that you are being pretty arrogant when it comes to player skill? (Like when you called the Turai Ossa challenge "the easiest fight of my life.") Just because your skill might be above average (due to a young age and faster reflexes, I assume) doesn't make others total nitwits.

You completely misinterpreted the point of my post. It wasn't to say that you
had
to have super reflexes etc. like a 16-year old to succeed in gaming (I know mine are still very sharp, and I am beyond 40 myself). I was just pointing out that bragging about your skill by calling fights that most consider challenging "oh so easy", and then, on top of that, downright insulting others is pretty pitiful and very disrespectful and immature.

I'm one of the most helpful people ingame you could ever meet, but that doesn't save me from being frustrated about a few things. I am also humble. Much more humble than you would understand. (this is a joke and a reference. 10 gold to the one to mail me ingame about who said this (also a joke))I don't call anybody names or point fingers, I have never insulted somebody for playing not the way I wanted them to play. In fact, I have never complained about this either. Everybody can do whatever they want. This doesn't mean they are immune to criticism though. I've said that they aren't playing well, if anybody takes offense to that then that's their decision and it is their choice to either ignore it or do something to be better. I gladly help people get better and give them what knowledge I have that they might lack, but for any of that to matter they need to show any sign of WANTING that.

I've merely stated that a large amount of people simply doesn't read or try to play in a way that goes beyond the absolute least. That is my experience and judging from the amount of other people talking about this it seems that I am not alone. The thing is that I shouldn't HAVE tell anybody they have multiple buttons, they are well aware of that fact and I don't know what stops them from utilizing any of it.

So in the end of the day, if I cured a single person of 1 1 1 1 1 syndrome, I will be a very happy man

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:So in the end of the day, if I cured a single person of 1 1 1 1 1 syndrome, I will be a very happy man

But this encounter is
the
source of 1 1 1 1 1 syndrome^^

Is this preschool where somebody mentions something and you just pout and don't change anything because "no"?

Sure, it must be preschool, because I didn't play GW2 at all and the first Boss-Fight I ever did was LWS4-2 - oh, c'mon :-/

@Lanhelin.3480 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:So in the end of the day, if I cured a single person of 1 1 1 1 1 syndrome, I will be a very happy man

But this encounter is
the
source of 1 1 1 1 1 syndrome^^

Is this preschool where somebody mentions something and you just pout and don't change anything because "no"?

Sure, it must be preschool, because I didn't play GW2 at all and the first Boss-Fight I ever did was LWS4-2 - oh, c'mon :-/

I think we might have misunderstood each other here, because I wasn't going after you. I thought you meant that the encounter meant ME, as in the person telling somebody to not go 1 1 1 1 is the cause for them to be stubborn and just continue doing it because of that. Woops

@Dante.1763 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:As a person who does stories multiple times on every profession, I can say that these stories are tuned often to be more like raids. I mean not as difficult as raids, obviously, but they're meant to be end game content in a game that has no required end game content except for story. Even then if you have teleports to a friend, you can bypass story.

500%? thats a insanely huge difference!!!Any open world squad looked at with dps meter shows it clearly. There's the main crowd, doing 2-4k damage. Then there's the "high dps" guys, with 6-8k spikes. Then, there's nothing... and on top 2-3 players doing 15k+ (and probably only that because it's hard to get full buffs in OW environment). It really shows the discrepancy between different player groups. And unfortunately, sometimes Anet decides it's good to balance the content meant for everyone around those few top dps players.

Archived