Not Able to add pictures on new Forum

ori.5829

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anet, please fix this. When we want to see images in image based threads, we have to take so many steps to view it. with no clickable thumbnails we have to:

1. right click the image link
  2. open link in new tab or page (so we dont lose our spot in the forums)
  3. wait for the website to tell us about an external link warning
  4. click the link on that page and then we FINALLY get to see the image

It should be as simple as seeing a thumbnail, clicking it, and having pop up in a window over the forums.

@Girbilcannon.8259 said:Anet, please fix this. When we want to see images in image based threads, we have to take so many steps to view it. with no clickable thumbnails we have to:

1. right click the image link
  2. open link in new tab or page (so we dont lose our spot in the forums)
  3. wait for the website to tell us about an external link warning
  4. click the link on that page and then we FINALLY get to see the image

It should be as simple as seeing a thumbnail, clicking it, and having pop up in a window over the forums.

Tip - if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel (and realistically, who doesn't these days), clicking the link with the scroll wheel will automatically open it in a new tab.

It definitely doesn't solve all the problems with this system (no thumbnails is just a bad idea IMO), but it does at least combine 1 and 2 there.

• ArenaNet Staff

I am sorry for the inconvenience. When we were investigating options for our new forums, one of the parameters set by our Security person was that we disallow all images on the forums. This is not a decision I wanted, as it seriously impacts a number of discussion types, including fan art, guild recruitment, events, and much more. But I'm afraid that as a security measure, we cannot accept images on the forums, and must ask for hosting and for a user going through the steps required to view an image on an external site.

Again, I am very sorry for this inconvenience and wish there was another way to make this more fluid and easy for everyone.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:I am sorry for the inconvenience. When we were investigating options for our new forums, one of the parameters set by our Security person was that we disallow all images on the forums. This is not a decision I wanted, as it seriously impacts a number of discussion types, including fan art, guild recruitment, events, and much more. But I'm afraid that as a security measure, we cannot accept images on the forums, and must ask for hosting and for a user going through the steps required to view an image on an external site.

Again, I am very sorry for this inconvenience and wish there was another way to make this more fluid and easy for everyone.

It's understandable.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:But I'm afraid that as a security measure, we cannot accept images on the forums, and must ask for hosting and for a user going through the steps required to view an image on an external site.

All other forums have images, other sites like Facebook and Twitter have images, previous forums have images - cannot believe new forums will be without images. Forums don't look like super secure FBI site.

@Eley.1907 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:But I'm afraid that as a security measure, we cannot accept images on the forums, and must ask for hosting and for a user going through the steps required to view an image on an external site.

All other forums have images, other sites like Facebook and Twitter have images, previous forums have images - cannot believe new forums will be without images. Forums don't look like super secure FBI site.

Even the ESO forum (which uses the same system) has pictures. I think any potential "threat" of misuse of pictures would get reported and banned pretty fast. i duno why this was decided.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I am sorry for the inconvenience. When we were investigating options for our new forums, one of the parameters set by our Security person was that we disallow all images on the forums. This is not a decision I wanted, as it seriously impacts a number of discussion types, including fan art, guild recruitment, events, and much more. But I'm afraid that as a security measure, we cannot accept images on the forums, and must ask for hosting and for a user going through the steps required to view an image on an external site.

Interestingly enough, it does show preview screens of embedded videos (example in post here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/469/four-and-a-half-years-since-the-last-new-guild-mission#latest)

Technology is weird.

I understand not hosting the images here like the old forum did (meaning we'd have to upload them elsewhere and then link to them), but it seems excessive to not allow images to be posted here at all.

As you said that's going to impact a lot of popular topics, and I don't understand the benefit, especially from a security point of view. Is there actually more risk to letting us see a thumbnail of an image on this page vs. asking users to blindly follow a link, hoping it actually does lead to the image they're expecting to see?

@Healix.5819 said:Allowing embedded offsite images is a problem because it gives away your IP address to whoever wants it. They could allow embedded imgur links however, or other big names, which is certainly the better option over clicking random links to imgur.com.

I wonder how many people will actually see what you did.

Do the imbedded videos give away IP addresses? Is that a big concern? I've no idea.

I know the attachment system was convenient and people question the security of it. It is true though...ANet shouldn't have to manage people's uploads, having that ability puts them at risk (and they'll have to put resources into its moderation), and they have to then be trusted not to purge attachments (unnecessary hosting for them).

Here's a guide, nonetheless to help anyone not used to uploading images: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/853/guide-how-to-upload-post-your-own-images-on-these-forums/

@Piogre.2164 said:I dunno, can we still use direct markup embedding?

test

hey that's good enough

testtesttest

Nevermind, it seems that that direct embed only works because you used an actual forum asset. My small icon images didn't work.

Stephane Lo Presti's main concern with adding anything fun and interesting to the websites is storage space and being extreme with intellectual property :dissapointed:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Healix.5819 said:Allowing embedded offsite images is a problem because it gives away your IP address to whoever wants it. They could allow embedded imgur links however, or other big names, which is certainly the better option over clicking random links to

I wonder how many people will actually see what you did.

Oh yeah... smirks That is what is really a security issue.

@Cronos.6532 said:Stephane Lo Presti's main concern with adding anything fun and interesting to the websites is storage space and being extreme with intellectual property :dissapointed:

My highlight here might explain it yeah.