Authenticator app questions

I often visit another country where my cell phone doesn’t work, so phone authentication is out of the question. Is an authenticator app usable if I travel between countries? Also, if I add an authenticator, is it possible to remove 2-step verification altogether? According to the FAQ, it says I can set up a new authentication when removing the old one, which makes me think that I cannot remove 2-step verification altogether, once applied.

An authenticator is just math. As long as you have the key (which is stored by the app) and the correct time, it can't go wrong. Keep a backup of that key and you can recreate your authenticator whenever you want.

As for removing 2-step entirely, it's not possible, since it defaults to email authentication, which is actually the most secure option if you have a secured email.

@Healix.5819 said:An authenticator is just math. As long as you have the key (which is stored by the app) and the correct time, it can't go wrong. Keep a backup of that key and you can recreate your authenticator whenever you want.

As for removing 2-step entirely, it's not possible, since it defaults to email authentication, which is actually the most secure option if you have a secured email.

It is possible to remove authentication, and it's not possible to use email authentication once 2FA is removed. I contacted the CS Team to remove SMS and asked to have email authentication put on my account, instead; they replied that it is only possible to use email authentication at account creation. Real bummer.

I have removed the winauth from my account and after this it put me back automatically to email auth. So for me it worked.

I used winauth for years until my pc crashed and i need to reinstall it. I forget to safe the security cide and couldnt access my account for 17 days. Support ticket was never touched until i found out, that i can found the code in the folder windows.old and resolved it on my own.

So if you use the same pc or set up the suth on several ocs and secure the security code it should work.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:It is possible to remove authentication, and it's not possible to use email authentication once 2FA is removed. I contacted the CS Team to remove SMS and asked to have email authentication put on my account, instead; they replied that it is only possible to use email authentication at account creation. Real bummer.

I've attached and removed an authentication back then and just now, and had it revert to email authentication always. If you were left with a vulnerable account after having support remove SMS, it's because they disabled it.

Archived