Remounting removed in July 24 Patch? (Forced cooldown of mounting skills after using the Dismount)

I don't see any discussion about that anywhere, and there is no word in patch notes, but first thing I've noticed after July 24 patch is I can't remount anymore. My question is: why?

For those of you, who don't know what I'm talking about, before July 24 Patch you could keybind (I'll use my own example) every mount with for example CTRL+1... +6, then when pressing CTRL+1 > +2 (or even same bind, like CTRL+2 > +2) really fast, you could hop on mount bound to CTRL+2 no matter what mount you were on earlier, CTRL+4 > +5 (or again, CTRL+5 > +5 really fast) - resulted in mounting mount bound to CTRL+5 etc etc.

So basically you could run on Raptor to reach cliff with vista swarmed with enemies, then remount almost instantly to springer to reach higher ground with very low risk of getting in combat.

That was HUGE quality of life aspect of mounts that was removed with Festival of the 4 Winds. So I'll ask again: Why ANet?

It wasn't like that, like I said, you could switch mounts without touching the ground, and remounting TO griffon from different mount was also changed, griffon can be mounted only after short delay after dismounting (just before hitting the ground), earlier it could be almost instantly, that mean ANet added previously removed forced cooldown after dismounting.

That cooldown was removed in 10/17/2017 patch (https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/206420/#Comment_206420)

Removed the forced cooldown of mounting skills after using the Dismount skill.

I am having this as well. If I was on mount 1 and I spammed the skill to get onto mount 2 I was able to mount immediately. My feet would never have to hit the ground. Now, since the patch, that is not the case anymore. You have to wait til your character hits the ground before you can re-mount. While I understand that the griffon is the only mount you can mount midair, this was a huge QoL loss.

@Miss Lana.5276 said:I am having this as well. If I was on mount 1 and I spammed the skill to get onto mount 2 I was able to mount immediately. My feet would never have to hit the ground. Now, since the patch, that is not the case anymore. You have to wait til your character hits the ground before you can re-mount. While I understand that the griffon is the only mount you can mount midair, this was a huge QoL loss.

Having to wait a mere split second before you can remount is a huge QoL loss...?

Okay, I guess.

@Plautze.6290 said:

@Miss Lana.5276 said:I am having this as well. If I was on mount 1 and I spammed the skill to get onto mount 2 I was able to mount
immediately
. My feet would never have to hit the ground. Now, since the patch, that is not the case anymore. You have to wait til your character hits the ground before you can re-mount. While I understand that the griffon is the only mount you can mount midair, this was a huge QoL loss.

Having to wait a mere split second before you can remount is a huge QoL loss...?

Okay, I guess.

yes, because it allows enemies to lock you into combat mode I suppose.

@Plautze.6290 said:

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:I am having this as well. If I was on mount 1 and I spammed the skill to get onto mount 2 I was able to mount
immediately
. My feet would never have to hit the ground. Now, since the patch, that is not the case anymore. You have to wait til your character hits the ground before you can re-mount. While I understand that the griffon is the only mount you can mount midair, this was a huge QoL loss.

Okay, I guess.

While it may sound like a joke on paper, it is quite annoying in effect.

An example:Before the change, I could take 2 leaps with my raptor to reach an obstacle, switch instantly to my bunny mount, jump over it and immediately continue my travel with the raptor.

Now I can take the 2 leaps, then I have to completely dismount, remount to get past the obstacle with the bunny and have yet again to completely dismount before I can continue.

For me this is not about pulling mob aggro, it just interrupts the flow of the movement.It takes away from the "joy of movement".

@Geisterlicht.6083 said: =)

@"Miss Lana.5276" said:I am having this as well. If I was on mount 1 and I spammed the skill to get onto mount 2 I was able to mount
immediately

Okay, I guess.

While it may sound like a joke on paper, it is quite annoying in effect.

An example:Before the change, I could take 2 leaps with my raptor to reach an obstacle, switch instantly to my bunny mount, jump over it and immediately continue my travel with the raptor.

Now I can take the 2 leaps, then I have to completely dismount, remount to get past the obstacle with the bunny and have yet again to completely dismount before I can continue.

For me this is not about pulling mob aggro, it just interrupts the flow of the movement.It takes away from the "joy of movement".

Alright, I get your point, nice example :+1:I can definitely imagine feeling the annoyance when you already got used to mounting on the fly.In my case, I didn't even know that you could swap mounts so fast, I always dismounted and remounted without questioning it further. I guess, you never know until you try or somebody else tells you =)

@Plautze.6290 said:

immediately

Okay, I guess.

It's certainly a huge QoL loss to those who regularly use and switch between mounts, especially when there's mobs about. That "split second" adds up (it's more like 2-3 seconds in some cases now).

But isn't that the idea? That switching mounts exposes you to risk? Personally I never hotkeyed my mounts so I've always dismounted and then mounted, and it's never bothered me. Once in a while something may hit you and place you combat but I had assumed that this was just part of gameplay.

@Biff.5312 said:

But isn't that the idea? That switching mounts exposes you to risk? Personally I never hotkeyed my mounts so I've always dismounted and then mounted, and it's never bothered me. Once in a while something may hit you and place you combat but I had assumed that this was just part of gameplay.

yes, I suppose that is the idea, another question is whether the change is welcomed :P

Just noticed they changed it. If you bound each mount to a hotkey it made switching between nigh instant if you double clicked the key, now theres a short delay but enough to force aggro if there are mobs around. I think they could allow players to mount up if not physically being attack (i.e. ignore conditions forcing a player to stay in combat or "clos"e proximity) by an enemy would balance it out.

My general thought on this:They removed the delay and stated that they removed it in the patch notes. This suggests that it was a conscious decision.They now reintroduced it, but did not put anything about it in the patch notes. This suggests it was a mistake, and should be fixed.

What is there to argue about? Why even call out people for wanting it fixed? If anyone does't care about it, or thinks it is "not a big deal" that's fine, but it doesn't mean others need to have the same feeling about it.

@"Shikigami.4013" said:My general thought on this:They removed the delay and stated that they removed it in the patch notes. This suggests that it was a conscious decision.They now reintroduced it, but did not put anything about it in the patch notes. This suggests it was a mistake, and should be fixed.

What is there to argue about? Why even call out people for wanting it fixed? If anyone does't care about it, or thinks it is "not a big deal" that's fine, but it doesn't mean others need to have the same feeling about it.

Exactly. If I can't voice an opinion about a topic on a thread of the same topic, then why even have forums in the first place?

ow.... i tot i had just become slow or clumsy at it ... but now i know its not just me...

switching mounts quickly was so fun, not just a QOL (but definitely a big QOL). Like, i would switch mount right at the edge of something without breaking pace, and that made traveling more fun, timing ur changes to the changing landscape.

please bring it back. its not like it breaks anything.

Archived