Coolant Blast + Cauterize Problems

LUST.2305

Healing Turret still seems superior to the new heal skill...

• Coolant Blast + Cauterize doesn't cancel Overheat's damage to ourselves since it's not counted as a condition.
  • Cauterize should have a smaller cooldown, cast time, and a less burn time per condition
  • Coolant Blast isn't a Blast Finisher
  • Coolant Blast doesn't benefit allies.
  • Coolant Blast should have a 1/2 cast time.
  • Same cooldown as Healing Turret and and Elixir H but not as beneficial.

ok yeah healing turrets better than everything ever but...

1/2 cast time is too fast to expect someone to be able to interrupt. its doubtful youll see many future healing skills at 1/2 because of that. 3/4-1 is better. even though you prolly hate that you get interrupted it means you can do the same to others and its a high skill ceiling counterplay space. unless your name is headshot. but thats a problem with headshot, and not with interrupting a heal.

Making this instant cast both on heal and toolbelt, reduce the CD of toolbelt further, and move 15% of the instant healing to the conditional HoT would make it unique but not so niche it doesn't have a place.

HT heals basically the same as Coolant, but HT gets a water field + aoe.

Coolant should be the stronger option for selfish sustain, to match our most selfish traitline yet. I hope we never have HT nerfed, but I'd like a skill that actually competes with it.

Initially I thought it reduced heat by 50%, but I sharp found out it had no relation to heat at all. Making it reduce heat would provide it value as a skill in a way that could only exist on an Exceed.

The only other change I think would be cool, would be making it so that coolant blast cures burning. Thus it becomes a neat 1, 2 heal combo with its toolbelt.

@HotHit.6783 said:Initially I thought it reduced heat by 50%, but I sharp found out it had no relation to heat at all. Making it reduce heat would provide it value as a skill in a way that could only exist on an Exceed.

The only other change I think would be cool, would be making it so that coolant blast cures burning. Thus it becomes a neat 1, 2 heal combo with its toolbelt.

I'm not sure about the heat part but I like the cures burning. Cauterize doesn't clear that many conditions under ideal circumstances so it's not like we're looking at overpowered possibilities here. You would be using two cooldowns at Max heat just to compete with base HT...

This would make it at least comparable to HT. And it fits thematically, nice.

Adding both a blast finisher and a cure burning to Coolant Blast would still only put it somewhat near the turret's level tbh. Considering it still would offer much less AoE support.Perhaps make the blast only happen above 50 heat, since they seem married to nerfing skills below the treshold.Cauterize also needs a CD reduction honestly, 30 seconds for a skill that has so many downsides;

• fairly long cast time for a cleanse
  • self burns for a decent chunk
  • requires 50 heat+ to be a good cleanse in the first place.

20 seconds CD seems more than enough.And/Or make it instant actually. Heals have cast times so there's counter play, there's already loads of instant condi cleanses though, and I don't see why one of the weaker/harder-to-use ones in the game needs a 3/4 second cast.

@Dusk.4708 said:

@Rhomulos.2089 said:Tbh I'd be happy if it just healed 15% more, was instant cast, but heal over time instead. Nothing fancy required.

This too would work I like it

It might work in PvE (but then really what doesn't), but guess what there are two other game modes and Holosmith is pretty glass cannon / low sustain in design which makes the idea of changing its main heal from burst to heal over time as terrible.

@zinkz.7045 said:

@Dusk.4708 said:

@Rhomulos.2089 said:Tbh I'd be happy if it just healed 15% more, was instant cast, but heal over time instead. Nothing fancy required.

It might work in PvE (but then really what doesn't), but guess what there are two other game modes and Holosmith is pretty glass cannon / low sustain in design which makes the idea of changing its main heal from burst to heal over time as terrible.

I was thinkin of this most in pvp, an instant cast near 6k heal and frost aura on a 20s cd is very strong. Its obviously good in pve, as its instant and doesn't interrupt dps.

@zinkz.7045 said:

@Dusk.4708 said:

It wouldn't be my heal of choice in SPvP definitely not I'd still use HT, but in WvW, I run Cele so a heal over time skill on top of boon regen, on top of heat therapy, on top of backpack regenerator in Elixirs, would be nice in my PERSONAL case. For others eh.. you could debate its effectiveness, but if it is used while over 50% it does get a bonus heal over time as well so maybe the two heals in this hypothetical change would stack on each other? what do you think?

Also, another thought, what about adding regen to the toolbelt skill?

@Dusk.4708 said:

@zinkz.7045 said:

@Dusk.4708 said:

It wouldn't be my heal of choice in SPvP definitely not I'd still use HT, but in WvW, I run Cele so a heal over time skill on top of boon regen, on top of heat therapy, on top of backpack regenerator in Elixirs, would be nice in my PERSONAL case. For others eh.. you could debate its effectiveness, but if it is used while over 50% it does get a bonus heal over time as well so maybe the two heals in this hypothetical change would stack on each other? what do you think?

This is the idea, extra healing + frost aura + being instant cast on 20s cd is huge. The condi removal tb would be instant too

I just don't understand why we have a skill locked behind an elite spec and using that elite spec mechanic at maximum benefit is worse than healing turret.

Am I crazy to think baseline CB should be comparable to HT but with fill heat mechanic should be better? Right now it's okay if you have heat (admittedly it's fun because it's new) but not even worth using if you don't.

@Adamantium.3682 said:I just don't understand why we have a skill locked behind an elite spec and using that elite spec mechanic at maximum benefit is worse than healing turret.

Am I crazy to think baseline CB should be comparable to HT but with fill heat mechanic should be better? Right now it's okay if you have heat (admittedly it's fun because it's new) but not even worth using if you don't.

yea exactly, If I was the dev working on holosmith, id want the skills in an ELITE spec to bet better by default to vanilla skills because well...it is an elite spec lol hopefully they add something to it or the TB. honestly, like in I said in my post above if CB gave some regen id be completely satisfied.

@Dusk.4708 said:

@Adamantium.3682 said:I just don't understand why we have a skill locked behind an elite spec
and
using that elite spec mechanic at maximum benefit is worse than healing turret.

yea exactly, If I was the dev working on holosmith, id want the skills in an ELITE spec to bet better by default to vanilla skills because well...it is an elite spec lol hopefully they add something to it or the TB. honestly, like in I said in my post above if CB gave some regen id be completely satisfied.

Well that is a slippery slope... We don't want elite specs to invalidate earlier skills (at least I don't). But when there's hardly a reason to slot the elite spec skills then we have a problem. They should at least compare favorably, especially when utilizing the elite spec mechanic

EDIT: I guess I would summarize it as "elite spec skills should want to be used in that elite spec, and you would only go back to core skills for a specific niche or functionality not present in the elite skill". If we're doing a 1:1 comparison, like most heal skills, I see no reason why CB should be straight up worse in almost every way than HT.

Random Idea :What if Cauterize was a stun breaker? Would that make it a viable choice to you?

@Adamantium.3682 said:Am I crazy to think baseline CB should be comparable to HT but with fill heat mechanic should be better? Right now it's okay if you have heat (admittedly it's fun because it's new) but not even worth using if you don't.

Tbh both sword skills and exceed skills have this problem. Heat bonus doesn't feel like a bonus, not getting the heat bonus feels like a punishment. Especially exceed skills, a lot of them are situational, reactive skills with a decent amount of cooldown, you don't really get to choose when you need it and plan heat management for it.

I haven't run cauterize in PVE or WvW. I much prefer the 15% damage reduction and HT combination. Makes me vulnerable to conditions for sure. But I am not playing Holo as a frontline zerger. In PVE I find it gives me the ability to spend a bit more time in the hot zone, couple it with some decent food and you become quite resilient to a point.

I think cauterize should be replaced by an offensive trait, or one reducing cooldown on exceed skills. Have the holo heal give its bonus over 50% heat anyway, but add condition cleanse tiers for the mechanic. Honestly then it would compete with HT.

@Yid.3024 said:Random Idea :What if Cauterize was a stun breaker? Would that make it a viable choice to you?

@Adamantium.3682 said:Am I crazy to think baseline CB should be comparable to HT but with fill heat mechanic should be better? Right now it's okay if you have heat (admittedly it's fun because it's new) but not even worth using if you don't.

Tbh both sword skills and exceed skills have this problem. Heat bonus doesn't feel like a bonus, not getting the heat bonus feels like a punishment. Especially exceed skills, a lot of them are situational, reactive skills with a decent amount of cooldown,
you don't really get to choose when you need it and plan heat management for it.

This is the biggest issue with the heat mechanic. I do not want to have to worry about having enough heat when I want to pop off my heal.

Archived