Engi vs Rev?

Malpractice.7850

I have been back for about a month, since basically Vanilla, but, I'm really struggling on a class to choose. I know most say "play everything nbd" but I really enjoy getting into my character, and playing one as much as possible.

Of them all, I find Engineer and Revenant as the most fun, but, I struggle knowing which is better throughout the game, and throughout time.

It seems Condi Holo > Condi Rev unless big hit box, and Holo is better than Rev for power builds.

How do they compare in Fractals? Pvp? Wvw? and in Raids? as well as Open World?

Has one been better for longer?

Honestly, neither class is that great. Revenant has the clunky Energy system and inability to customize any of your skills and Core Engineer and Scrapper are a mess (thank the Spirits for Holo literally pulling a Jebus and saving the class).

I’m not particularly fond of either as a result (I desperately want Scrapper to be good).

If you’re concerned about PvE viability, go with Power Holo as they’re fine for “endgame” PvE as a DPS class. On the flip side, I never see Revenants in Raids outside of a particular encounter (Deimos).

Energy system isn’t clunky it’s there for you to properly manage your skills, cooldowns and use the energy efficiently. Which a lot of people fail to do. In PvE power rev is slowy coming back with Anet wanting the power specs to be viable while condi rev is one of the top DPS.

https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks/

The difference between holo and power rev on small targets is very small. About 500 dps difference. So it’s not like holo is far ahead as some people think.

In WvW roaming I’m not afraid of them. Mostly Mirages, Spellbreakers, Scourges who are really annoying and difficult to fight against ( often you can tell they don’t even try as much as you lol).

I haven’t played Engi but I hear it’s fun even though hard to play properly. Still I’m enjoying my Revenant no matter the game mode. Just try both and get a rough idea of what YOU like.

@Scar.1793 said:

The difference between holo and power rev on small targets is very small. About 500 dps difference. So it’s not like holo is far ahead as some people think.

Well it’s a bit more than 500 dps due to the IR bug. But yeah you’re right it’s definitely is a better spot and the easy rotation makes it good also. I play a decent amount of engi and enjoy it a lot. If you want a more challenging class for PvE I’d say engi personally.

@Scar.1793 said:

@Scar.1793 said:Energy system isn’t clunky

It is not an objective thing, but subjective. Pretty sure I outlined that I personally feel that it is. Revenant feels like it is from a game many years older than GW2 to me.

It’s based on the mana/energy bar from Guild Wars 1 which a lot of veterans like, myself included.

Its objectively clunkly. The easing of the energy strain pretty much proved how over taxed it was previously, further emphasizing how the high coefficients is what was carrying it during the early iterations after HOT's launch. With the lower energy costs, their weapon and utility skills can now be reliably used in conjunction, where they were previously in constant contention. And more importantly, preemptive skills are far less of a gamble when they don't eat up most of your energy.

Even at its worst in GW1, neither Memser or Ele struggled so much with Energy that they spent half their time in auto attacks. You always had a low cost option to weave inbetween your more expensive skills, and Mesmers also had the ability to recoup energy on the fly. And even if you were one of those people who used high cost combo chains, there was usually a solid pay off in getting all of them to land.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

Even at its worst in GW1, neither Memser or Ele struggled so much with Energy that they spent half their time in auto attacks.

What? Have you played Revenant recently ? A lot has changed since the last 2 balance update.

There’s no auto-attack only anymore, especially in PvE. In PvP almost nobody use costly upkeeps to be with 0 energy, if you do that in PvP you’re deadmeat.

I suggest you try the class again to see the changes yourself.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Scar.1793 said:Energy system isn’t clunky

It is not an objective thing, but subjective. Pretty sure I outlined that I personally feel that it is. Revenant feels like it is from a game many years older than GW2 to me.

It’s based on the mana/energy bar from Guild Wars 1 which a lot of veterans like, myself included.

Its objectively clunkly. The easing of the energy strain pretty much proved how over taxed it was previously, further emphasizing how the high coefficients is what was carrying it during the early iterations after HOT's launch. With the lower energy costs, their weapon and utility skills can now be reliably used in conjunction, where they were previously in constant contention. And more importantly, preemptive skills are far less of a gamble when they don't eat up most of your energy.

Even at its worst in GW1, neither Memser or Ele struggled so much with Energy that they spent half their time in auto attacks. You always had a low cost option to weave inbetween your more expensive skills, and Mesmers also had the ability to recoup energy on the fly. And even if you were one of those people who used high cost combo chains, there was usually a solid pay off in getting all of them to land.

It’s not objectively clunky; I don’t think there is a solid argument to be made to claim objectivity in this case. Objectivity is determined by something being true without the bias of an individual’s feelings or perspectives. If you find it personally clunky, that’s subjective and you’re entitled to that opinion, but that doesn’t make your opinion objective. There are plenty of Revenants like Scar and myself that don’t have issues with the energy system and don’t find it to be clunky (also subjective opinions). I personally find it MORE intuitive than every other class in the game and subsequently I don’t really like playing the other classes. Revenant gameplay to me feels incredibly versatile which is something I (personally) don’t feel from other classes.

Also while yes, the power revenant rotation is highly autoattack based the condi rev one is not and is considerably more complicated (and has been since before PoF, only to get more complex after PoF). And if you’re only autoattacking 50% of the time with power rev in pvp/wvw (even since HoT launch) you’re not playing the class well or to anywhere near it’s maximum potential.

I play both of them a lot. Both Rev and Engi are pretty good. Rev is better at boons and ranged damage. Engineers are better at AoE damage and also have blind fields. Both have a strangely wide toolbox. As for how they compare:

Raids: Revenant is better. The condi damage is overall higher, and the boons + heals are better at carrying a team.Fractals: Engineer. They have better cleave in wider areas, as well as a blind fields.PVP: Engineer. The CC and active defenses are better., and the toolbox of defensive skills is wider.WvW: Revenant. The hammer is really good, as is the boon support. Also, the rev can get nearly permanent self-retaliation in WvW.

Hello there,

Long-suffering rev/engi main here so I felt uniquely qualified and obilgated to respond.

Fractals/Raids - Power Herald has seen improvements but is still not excellent damage-wise compared to other specs. Condi Renegades aren’t too great in Fractals due to long ramp up times and short fights/phases. It is currently the highest DPS option for large hit box in raids though (I think?)

Holos are excellent in almost every raid and fractals as a power DPS slot. They offer good damage, cc, and can slot group utility. Condis have been recently buffed a well (core engi does more damage for condis, but the rotation is disgusting compared to condi holo). Scrapper is totallly useless in PvE other than one fractal that you can use sneak gyro to open a door and a niche healer build for raids (suboptimal to healing Druid, firebrand, and renegade).

PvP/WvW - power sword/sword herald is fun for roaming in wvw, but can be challenging in pvp because of needing to stand on tiny circles to win. Shiro herald is a fun build with high damage, mobility, and skill cap. Hammer revs (both heralds and renegades) are a thing in zergs for wvw, but I only do roaming and haven’t touched my hammer since the impossible odds nerf, so idk. Condi Renegades are utterly useless in PvP/WvW.

Holos are a nice option for PvP and roaming in wvw. On a small scale, they can have a powerful presence in fights offering nice options for CC, condi cleanse, mobility, damage, disengage, etc. Holos are in a good place right now due to the amount of flexibility you can choose for builds. Scrappers are OK in terms of sustain and utility (function gyro), but are extremely lacking in damage compared against almost everything else.

Open world - rev and engi (and everything else for that matter) are good options for open world.

In summary, Engineers are probably a more solid choice at this point in time, but revs have been slowly getting buffed/everything else is being brought down to their level for the last 3 patches or so.

Hope that helps.

EQ

@Scar.1793 said:

Even at its worst in GW1, neither Memser or Ele struggled so much with Energy that they spent half their time in auto attacks.

What? Have you played Revenant recently ? A lot has changed since the last 2 balance update.

There’s no auto-attack only anymore, especially in PvE. In PvP almost nobody use costly upkeeps to be with 0 energy, if you do that in PvP you’re deadmeat.

I suggest you try the class again to see the changes yourself.

I'm confused how that segued into your response.... and even more confused about the no auto-attack thing. Unless you're talking about the energy strain..... which I pointed out in the first line to preface that whole response.

Archived