Can we actually get a proper target lock? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Can we actually get a proper target lock?

It has been a long time frustration with this game. There is no lock target system that won't change target before the target is eliminated. Nothing frustrates me more then when I have the target I want and go for a skill for the system to switch targets cause something else hit me. If I wanted to change target I would do it myself. In my WOW days sticky targeting was this, it wouldn't change target unless you actually select a new target.

Comments

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018

Have you tried Ctrl + T?
    You can rebind for more convenience.
    Also disable targeting on AA.

• rng.1024rng.1024 Member ✭✭✭✭

You also should disable autotargeting (this overrides a few settings) and use TAB (next enemy) to select targets. Only stealth, mesmer detarget and you swapping will change/remove target plus you get the benefit of not leaping with your weapons in unintended directions.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

Unless you are fighting someone using stealth or a mirage there isn't anything that messes with targeting.

This sounds like you are victim of the "Right-Click to Interact/Attack" option. That option makes it all too easy to end up switching target when you are just trying to turn your camera.

• Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭

I have problems with the lack of target lock. When I try to cast an AoE skill, as I am clicking on terrain sometimes I lose the targeting and need to re-target, I got used on the "Select nearest enemy" but would be off better if I didnt have to press an extra key just to retarget. Besides that only works if i'm on melee range on the target i'm currently focusing all my burst. If i'm ranged and there are more enemies around it becomes more annoying

Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

@Wolfb.7025 said:
    I have problems with the lack of target lock. When I try to cast an AoE skill, as I am clicking on terrain sometimes I lose the targeting and need to re-target, I got used on the "Select nearest enemy" but would be off better if I didnt have to press an extra key just to retarget. Besides that only works if i'm on melee range on the target i'm currently focusing all my burst. If i'm ranged and there are more enemies around it becomes more annoying

For that you should have keys bound for call target and take target.

• Wolfb.7025Wolfb.7025 Member ✭✭✭

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Wolfb.7025 said:

Yeah thanks, I use these too, not as often since I have already occupied all my keys near WASD for other things (I shall make a re-arrangement of keybindings tho), but still its the same problem as I said, I have to press extra keys just for re-targeting, a thing that would be fixed with a hard target lock.

Years just pass like trains
    I wave but they don't sloow dooown~ don't slow doown~♪

• cryorion.9532cryorion.9532 Member ✭✭✭

Also to add something to GW2 targeting:
    Tab targeting is so annoying in GW2. It prioritizes mob tier (legendary, champ, elite, ...) instead of the mob closer to center of screen. It really matters when you fight bazillion mobs (e.g. swamp last boss fractal), where you want to target mob in the middle of pack so you can cleave most of them, but instead, TAB targets boss that is completely on the side of the screen. It would be nice to add option for this kind of targetting. Also, I am kinda surprised, that there is still no key bind for target deselect. Imagine you fight 3589035 mobs and you want to deselect and use mobility skill, but instead, you just rush back at the selected mob because in the fast paced combat, you clicked for a bit longer, dragging camera instead and ESC does not work reliably neither (sometimes you need to press ESC twice so you actually deselect target).

@Wolfb.7025 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Wolfb.7025 said:

Yeah thanks, I use these too, not as often since I have already occupied all my keys near WASD for other things (I shall make a re-arrangement of keybindings tho), but still its the same problem as I said, I have to press extra keys just for re-targeting, a thing that would be fixed with a hard target lock.

but target doesn't change unless you are fumbling your clicks(possibly due to "Right-Click to Interact/Attack" option, just turn that off)

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

@cryorion.9532 said:
    Also to add something to GW2 targeting:
    Tab targeting is so annoying in GW2. It prioritizes mob tier (legendary, champ, elite, ...) instead of the mob closer to center of screen. It really matters when you fight bazillion mobs (e.g. swamp last boss fractal), where you want to target mob in the middle of pack so you can cleave most of them, but instead, TAB targets boss that is completely on the side of the screen. It would be nice to add option for this kind of targetting. Also, I am kinda surprised, that there is still no key bind for target deselect. Imagine you fight 3589035 mobs and you want to deselect and use mobility skill, but instead, you just rush back at the selected mob because in the fast paced combat, you clicked for a bit longer, dragging camera instead and ESC does not work reliably neither (sometimes you need to press ESC twice so you actually deselect target).

But I would argue the highest tier mob is going to be your target 90% of the time, just because the sheer amount of AOE and cleave (in nearly skill we have) will take out white tier mobs in the collateral damage. Theres very few reasons to take out smaller tier mobs when one like that is active.

That said, the hand full of cases where this actually IS an issue, can usually be solved by making a Legendary untargetable during their invul phases, causing it to default back to the prominent threat in the trash tier. Gerant would the top example of this; and we know it works, because it works for Ley-line Anomaly.

For everything else, a couple tweaks to patterned based tabbing should be able to address most of the remaining outlier cases. Like 3 target switches in the span of a second should default to nearest next. Some additional behaviors can be built on this further, though the amount of second guessing beyond the previous examples gets a lot less reliable.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.